Zebra3 Info

Official support for: u-he.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Zebra

Back on topic...

While working on that patch, a few feature requests popped into mind:

1) Can Z3 have more waveshaping algorithms? Obviously distortions are all pretty unique, so matching them from one synth to another is a bit of a fool's errand...but apparently I'm a fool :oops: , so a few more in the arsenal would be cool

2) A built-in oscilloscope, with the ability to focus in on a single-cycle :ud:

3) Maybe a spectroscope too! :hyper: (maybe that's a bit greedy...)

I'm also curious if Sync will be like it is in Z2, or whether the approach would be different. In some synths, I like to hard sync oscillators and then FM the hard-synced oscillator. Obviously, that isn't strictly possible in Z2 (workarounds do achieve roughly the same or similar results, of course).

OSC as modulators for everything please for Zebra 3.
That´s all i want. :D

KBSoundSmith wrote: 1) Can Z3 have more waveshaping algorithms?
Better still, instead of more selectable waveshaping curves, what about providing an editor to draw custom waveshapes allowing user-designed distortions? With the same wave-table morphing as GeoMorph, you could do some cool evolving distortions per-voice.

Aerithos wrote:
KBSoundSmith wrote: 1) Can Z3 have more waveshaping algorithms?
Better still, instead of more selectable waveshaping curves, what about providing an editor to draw custom waveshapes allowing user-designed distortions? With the same wave-table morphing as GeoMorph, you could do some cool evolving distortions per-voice.
I always loved this feature in Serum. Would be truly dope to have in Zebra. =)

KBSoundSmith wrote:Back on topic...

1) Can Z3 have more waveshaping algorithms? Obviously distortions are all pretty unique, so matching them from one synth to another is a bit of a fool's errand...but apparently I'm a fool :oops: , so a few more in the arsenal would be cool

I'm also curious if Sync will be like it is in Z2, or whether the approach would be different. In some synths, I like to hard sync oscillators and then FM the hard-synced oscillator. Obviously, that isn't strictly possible in Z2 (workarounds do achieve roughly the same or similar results, of course).
May I ask, what's the point of having an oscilloscope and spectroscope?

Igro wrote:May I ask, what's the point of having an oscilloscope and spectroscope?
If you blow your speakers you can keep working. :D
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:

Igro wrote:

No prob.

They give insights into the nature of the source sound, plus any processes that they undergo. And for a pre-emptive TL;DR -- Knowledge is power :hihi:

I like to break down sounds into their components and see how every knob or button affects them. By doing this, you begin to thoroughly understand the synths/effects/etc that you're using. You know if you want to get X, you can do it with Y, Z, and W -- and you also know to do 1-5%, rather than 20-30%, etc.

And for trying to imitate another sound, they're indispensable. For example, in the patch I did for vvilms, the noise part of the Thor patch had some really unique characteristics that wouldn't have been obvious without seeing the information in a spectroscope. In order to mimic the sound exactly, I had to shape the noise in Zebra with EQ shelving, boosts and cuts, a hi-pass filter...I had to mimic its behavior over time...
that all would have been a crapshoot without a spectroscope.

Oscilloscopes and spectroscopes enable you to be extremely precise when making a sound.

And since I'm on a 15.6" laptop and don't have access to a second monitor, having those tools built directly into a synth GUI would be a huge time-saver, because I wouldn't have to open/close/hide/move plugin windows in order to make changes. Especially in a synth like Zebra, which is very well-suited for imitative work.

spunkmuffin wrote:
Igro wrote:May I ask, what's the point of having an oscilloscope and spectroscope?
lol, that too :lol:

spunkmuffin wrote:
With ROCK AND ROLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL! (prepare to crack up and/or be repelled):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjGf1JiZkKY
Ha ha suck it!

KBSoundSmith wrote:

I would like to see cymatics visualizations in Zebra 3, to heal my chakra :-D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD6XUSyFN_A

432 HZ :hihi: :roll:

KBSoundSmith wrote:
Igro wrote:

No prob.

They give insights into the nature of the source sound, plus any processes that they undergo. And for a pre-emptive TL;DR -- Knowledge is power :hihi:

I like to break down sounds into their components and see how every knob or button affects them. By doing this, you begin to thoroughly understand the synths/effects/etc that you're using. You know if you want to get X, you can do it with Y, Z, and W -- and you also know to do 1-5%, rather than 20-30%, etc.

And for trying to imitate another sound, they're indispensable. For example, in the patch I did for vvilms, the noise part of the Thor patch had some really unique characteristics that wouldn't have been obvious without seeing the information in a spectroscope. In order to mimic the sound exactly, I had to shape the noise in Zebra with EQ shelving, boosts and cuts, a hi-pass filter...I had to mimic its behavior over time...
that all would have been a crapshoot without a spectroscope.

Oscilloscopes and spectroscopes enable you to be extremely precise when making a sound.

And since I'm on a 15.6" laptop and don't have access to a second monitor, having those tools built directly into a synth GUI would be a huge time-saver, because I wouldn't have to open/close/hide/move plugin windows in order to make changes. Especially in a synth like Zebra, which is very well-suited for imitative work.
Well, fair enough. :)

.maki wrote:432 HZ :hihi: :roll:
Except for that :lol: , it wouldn't be bad to include cymatic visualization in Z3. :love:

Does anyone count down to Zebra 2.8? :D

Stan Navi wrote:Does anyone count down to Zebra 2.8? :D
We all do - but like Repro-5, we have to wait until the restructuring of our preset management code is done. There are a few side effects which we need to work on, e.g. the preset < and > buttons behave sluggishly at the moment.

Return to “u-he”