Zebra3 Info

Official support for: u-he.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Zebra

Yeahhh!!! :hihi: :tu:

Urs wrote:
con_sordino wrote:i have not read all 215 pages of over 5 years, so a quick question:

there is already information on the main features and the changes compared to zebra2? what will be different or better?
Main difference: Editors for Waveforms, MSEGs, ModMappers will use a unified UI control with a lot of really cool tools and features. Each of these modules can operate either spline-based or sample-based. Each will have import/export functionality. These modules will largely be rewritten.

Filters and XMF modules will be united in one kind of filter.

FMOs will very likely become Dual-FM-Oscillators.

Mixers. Loads of mixers for various paradigms and purposes (Vector Synthesis, 4-in-1 Mixers, Matrix Mixers, Scanning Mixers, possibly even Surround-Mixers).

A bunch of West Coast inspired modules (Function Generators, LPGs and other simple modules with broad range of applications)

New paradigms for overall tuning, triggering, arpeggiator, sequencing.

FX Grid will have 4 lanes.
Hey Urs, I've become a bit of an FM junky lately. So, I was curious if it's possible to share more on how FM might potentially be implemented in Z3?

I'm not expecting full-blown matrix-style programming, of course. But having a greater variety of waveforms available in the FMO modules would be great. User-definable waveforms are currently limited to modulators via the OSC modules, while carriers are limited to pre-defined waveforms. The ability to have user-definable waveforms and/or sample import :pray: for use as FMO waveforms would be sick. While the carrier waveforms in Z2 are more capable than I think most people realize (since the actual behavior of the waveforms approximate classic waveform behavior in a phase modulation context), for a lot of sounds I've been making recently, I can't quite push Zebra as far and as hard as I'd like to go.

Additionally, FM Feedback is currently limited to an FMO module behaving as a modulator. Carrier feedback isn't possible. Will this restriction remain in place?

Re FM: I don't know yet.

The opinions vary in u-he HQs. Some think more choice of carrier waveforms is cool, others think it's overrated. I think there'll be some sort of FM/PM for the normal oscillators, so this might save us from having to do that. I've been experimenting with ModFM, DSF synthesis and stuff but found the results rather underwhelming. Will start by sticking to what I know, then see if we need more options later on.

Urs wrote:Re FM: I don't know yet.

The opinions vary in u-he HQs. Some think more choice of carrier waveforms is cool, others think it's overrated. I think there'll be some sort of FM/PM for the normal oscillators, so this might save us from having to do that. I've been experimenting with ModFM, DSF synthesis and stuff but found the results rather underwhelming. Will start by sticking to what I know, then see if we need more options later on.
That seems great to me. If OSC modules could accept FM input and feedback on themselves, it would make the inclusion of FMO modules redundant. It would also allow operator waveforms to change over time, rather than just the modulator as is the case now with an OSC --> FMO setup.

FM-Feedback on arbitrary waveforms is a bitch though.

Life's a bitch. :cry: :D
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:

I'd love to see a standalone UHe FM synth..

Bazille does FM. Actually FM + PM + FractalizeM.

Why does u-he spell Fractalise the wrong way and colour in Colour Copy the right way? Hmm. :hihi:
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:

Urs wrote:FM-Feedback on arbitrary waveforms is a bitch though.
But sometimes I like my synths to be a bitch! I guess I have a soft spot for Divas... :hihi:

Anyway...I'm working on a "bitchy bass" which uses time-varying waveforms as FM operators, at least as much as Z2 allows.
FM Bass 01.png
:D

In this patch, two modulators run parallel into a single carrier; I also routed the signal to roughly approximate FM feedback of the carrier (edit: struck me out of the blue how to do it...dead simple :dog: but module/lane costly). This carrier passes into a compressor and a chorus. Separately, there is a solo carrier which reinforces the fundamental and bypasses all effects. In the audio example, the first two notes do not use feedback. The second two notes use 100% feedback (and there are some modmap shenanigans designed to create more chaos at the peak of the envelopes, with or without feedback). The remainder of the audio file is me noodling around with the feedback and volume via an XY pad:

https://bit.ly/2mvUgjc

It took eight modules and all four lanes to achieve this sound (although I've no doubt Howard could work magic and do it in fewer :oops: ). If OSC modules had the options of accepting FM input and feedback, it would have taken five modules and three lanes to achieve this sound, provided everything else about Zebra were to remain the same other than the OSC modules. And the resulting signal chain would be capable of going beyond what I created here.

Just providing context for my FM inquiry :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

spunkmuffin wrote:Bazille does FM. Actually FM + PM + FractalizeM.

Why does u-he spell Fractalise the wrong way and colour in Colour Copy the right way? Hmm. :hihi:
I don't think I'm quite ready for Bazille :hihi:

The "z" in "Fractalize" is more suggestive of what it does :-)

mkruse wrote:
spunkmuffin wrote:Bazille does FM. Actually FM + PM + FractalizeM.

I don't think I'm quite ready for Bazille :hihi:
heh... well, u-he's FM synth will be there when you are ready :)

Howard wrote:The "z" in "Fractalize" is more suggestive of what it does :-)
Zombification? :borg:

Snapshot morphing please. Why do no developer can handle this? XY pads and macros don‘t do it really.

Cinebient wrote:Snapshot morphing please. Why do no developer can handle this? XY pads and macros don‘t do it really.
That wouldn't work too well for Zebra... since it can be re-wired in so many ways

Return to “u-he”