Zebra3 Info

Official support for: u-he.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Zebra

Yeah, exactly. But I don't if that was actually the inspiration for Zebra's name. Would be really interesting to know :)

I had actually read Valis around that time. If it is the inspiration, it's purely due to the Zebra principle.

My actual inspiration for the name stems from two much more trivial things:

a) The Zebra pattern resembles piano keys, but they look natural and organic rather than human made. Zebra was meant to become an "organic sounding" synth, which was a highly sought after buzzword back then.

b) There was a pun thread on KVR with lots of cliche German pronunciation puns, such as saying "ze" instead of "the". I contributed "ze bra" for its phonetic ambiguity to the thread. That was about two days or so before I decided to call my first polysynth that way rather than keep Zoyd, also because I wanted a different feature set.

So it might be related to the female body more so than to PKD whom I referenced a lot back then, alongside Thomas Pynchon.

You can read how Zebra 2 got its name, so there's no reason for conjecture about it.

It's all because of the second zebra in this photograph that has its head down.

One of the engineers was on Safari in 1985 while they were on tour with Black Flag when they were doing charity concerts. They had some free time between concerts and the roadies were waiting on some equipment crates to arrive from the previous night, so they all decided to pile into one of those jeeps that take people out for site seeing. The singer wasn't able to go, but the rest of the band was excited. When they go out there things turned south and there was mechanical trouble and they weren't able to get back to the hotel. The guides radioed for help, and everyone was anxious because they were concerned that they wouldn't get back to civilization before the sun went down and it was lion country. Their concerns were realized as the sun began to set, and while the sky was still really blue they started to hear some rustling in the bushes and then there was a pair of female lionesses that came out. The whole crew was terrified, except for the guitarist who was talking about how good of a song it would make later, and then one of the lions came over and got up on the vehicle and smashed up the window with her weight. She started trying to dig her way in obviously thinking that the crew would make a nice snack, and then out of nowhere the zebra came out and kicked the lioness off of the vehicle. They were all so happy, and in the morning they were still stick there with the zebra standing guard and they snapped that picture. Zebra's are amazing! And that's how the second zebra became the inspiration for a plugin.

Source: https://www.popsci.com/fake-news-spreads-faster

Hi all, i don't know if it sounds too off-topic, but as i'm doing recently more and more sound design on Zebra 2.8 ( :love: and waiting for the update to ZebraHZ :love: :love: ) i've realized that a couple of UI option would help a lot.

1. Type with computer keyboard exact values for knobs.
2. The option to type, set and read values for filters, oscillators and LFOs (all the frequency related stuff) in Hz.
3. Point 2. implies the need to have fixed frequency as an option for oscillators.

maybe the above is something to think about for Zebra 3?
Last edited by lalo on Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

lalo wrote:Hi all, i don't know if it sounds too off-topic, but as i'm doing recently more and more sound design on Zebra 2.8 ( :love: and waiting for the update to ZebraHZ :love: :love: ) i've realized that a couple of UI option would help a lot.

1. Type with computer keyboard exact values for knobs.
2. The option to type, set and read values for filters, oscillators and LFOs (all the frequency related stuff) in Hz.
3. Point 2. implies the need to have fixed frequency as an option for oscillators.

maybe the above is something to think about for Zebra 3?

In all seriousness, Urs, will it be a real product sometime in 2020?

lalo wrote:1. Type with computer keyboard exact values for knobs.
Open Zebra 2.8. Click any knob. Type 73.20 and hit enter. Works in almost all hosts except Logic (which wildly changes screensets).

Urs wrote:
Open Zebra 2.8. Click any knob. Type 73.20 and hit enter. Works in almost all hosts except Logic (which wildly changes screensets).
Hi Urs, thanks!
but it does not work for me on Reaper 5.95pre6 on Win10 64bit.
Would be great to have Hz values....i'm trying to emulate a 808/909 rimshot and its original t-bridged bandpass resonant filters so entering a precise tuning for the filters would save me some time watching at vst tuners and the likes ;-)

Urs wrote:
Just tried it out. On Windows 10, I managed to get it to work in Reaper using the number row of the keyboard and the DotEight skin. Didn't work with the Num Pad. I couldn't get it to work at all with Cubase or Studio One.

Maybe Zebra 3 could have a striped bra skin...with 3 cups.
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
Urs wrote:
Just tried it out. On Windows 10, I managed to get it to work in Reaper using the number row of the keyboard and the DotEight skin. Didn't work with the Num Pad. I couldn't get it to work at all with Cubase or Studio One.
Strange. For me does not work on Reaper. If i click on a knob and type i.e. 97 what i have is that in the Zebra display i see in turn "number 9" then "number 7" then hit enter and the knob is not set at 97 but remains at its original value.
BTW ooops i'm on my laptop so it's Win7 64bit (i was fooling myself supposing to be working on my desktop machine :-D )
Last edited by lalo on Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:Didn't work with the Num Pad.
Num Lock on? :)
Cheers
Rob
u-he | Support | FAQ | Patch Library

#rob wrote:
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:Didn't work with the Num Pad.
Num Lock on? :)
I actually thought of that at the time and checked. It was definitely on. Even just reproduced it and confirmed. So for me, it only works in Reaper, and only on the number row. This is with a Microsoft Natural keyboard (Windows 10 x64) if it matters.

lalo wrote:...i'm trying to emulate a 808/909 rimshot and its original t-bridged bandpass resonant filters
Playing A2 with this preset should get you a fairly close approximation of the 808 rimshot. It's definitely possible to get closer, but it's a starting point. The XY pads do some fun things by the way.

Return to “u-he”