community project: one note drones and soundscapes through only one instance of Zebra

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'll quote Sendy on this since it was her idea!
Sendy wrote:Given you can pretty much make a whole ambient track with one instance of Zebra this isn't suprising.

Actually, that brings to mind an interesting concept album - a compilation of one note drones and soundscapes where no external sequencing is allowed apart from one note-on and one note-off per song :hihi:
How about we have not a contest but a collaborative project in creating soundscapes/music with the Zebra? I suggest the following restrictions.

1. The whole track must be made with only one instance of the synth Zebra.
2. There can be no external sequencing apart from one note-on and one note-off per track.

-The project ends on the 15th of november , submissions not accepted after that.
-submission is to me through https://wetransfer.com/ to me at martin.kvale@gmail.com Please add name/nick in message so that i who has submitted:)

Rollcall:

Confirmed:

Pending:
ThomasHelzle, Sendy, Hollo, ariston, Noctilucent Clouds, arbee, mcnoone, Esgalachoir, ostfront, Bronto Scorpio, Howard, tetsuneko, raikard233, J_S_N
Last edited by Noctilucent on Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.

I love the idea. This is exactly my kind of thing :hihi:

My suggestion would be to keep this as simple as possible! No competition, no prizes or anything just the 2 basic rules. No effects should be allowed.
When we have enough tracks we could upload it to Bandcamp as a free download or something.

Maybe there should be some kind of vote which tracks should be on that compilation but we can worry about stuff like that later :)

Many projects like this simply don't come far because of the many rules and limitations etc. The patch challanges with the easiest rules were also the most successful for example.

It would also be cool if the presets could be shared. They could be included in the Bandcamp download for example (stuff like that is possible iirc).

Cheers
Dennis

Bronto Scorpio wrote:
Maybe there should be some kind of vote which tracks should be on that compilation but we can worry about stuff like that later :)
Dennis
Agree, its nice that its free and fun :P

Nice idea, that. Are we allowed to tweak the x/y pads, or is it really one note on/off only?

ariston wrote:Nice idea, that. Are we allowed to tweak the x/y pads, or is it really one note on/off only?
I just thought about this. I guess automation should be allowed, maybe restricted to the XY pads.

Cheers
Dennis

how about we set a date of it ending at the 1st of november:) Who knows, maybe createdigitalmusic would like to write about it too ^^

Brilliant - I like it!

Would be also cool to share some principles and ideas for such sounds so beginners (and everybody else as well) can learn new tricks.
I'm sure there are a lot of not-too-obvious things in Zebra that can help with this kind of challenge...

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

Bronto Scorpio wrote:My suggestion would be to keep this as simple as possible! No competition, no prizes or anything just the 2 basic rules. No effects should be allowed.
I assume you mean external effects right? Are Zebra's built-in effects still fair game?

It's gonna be hard not to slap ValhallaRoom on the track, I'll tell you that :hihi:

colinssx wrote:
Bronto Scorpio wrote:My suggestion would be to keep this as simple as possible! No competition, no prizes or anything just the 2 basic rules. No effects should be allowed.
I assume you mean external effects right? Are Zebra's built-in effects still fair game?

It's gonna be hard not to slap ValhallaRoom on the track, I'll tell you that :hihi:
Zebra effects are all cool to use ^^

Love the idea! :-)
(inspired by Brian Eno interview, perhaps?)

I took up some of my older "Atmosphere" drones yesterday and injected some more movement using the XY pads... this is fun! Lord knows, the world needs mire drones.

I started from one of my older Zebra patches yesterday as well and it was loads of fun - great idea really :-)
Needs some more work though...

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

So, a single long note as the only midi source? Too bad, I woulda had at least one entry already, but it's based on a repeating midi note.. Guess I'd need to make some new ones then :)

But limiting the parameter modulation automations to just the XY's .. That's going to make this one challenging!

What about the lenght of the piece, any boundaries there?

tetsuneko wrote: What about the lenght of the piece, any boundaries there?
I think no boundaries for the lenght, i guess the tracks will be limited in time due to the restriction with only one note(although i might be wrong :D)

So, lets find out what will be with the controllers/XY! ???
Shell we use them or not? :roll:

I just did something without any controllers.
It's funny, any time i push the note on, it will be a totally new track.:)

Return to “u-he”