New! U-he Compressor and/or Tape emulator - Satin!

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

firepile wrote:
3ee wrote:Tape!

I heard that there's a "new" video with Sascha tweaking Satin..
...Link?!! :P
This one?

http://www.groove.de/2012/11/21/groove- ... lter-u-he/
That's the "old" one... I might be a newer one...

BERFAB wrote:Are we now so bored with pristine digital and the million and one ways to distort it that we now need a million and one ways to make them sound like they were recorded in 1975?
My main obsession for "the" great saturation device was to successfully glue buses while retaining most audio quality.

I guess that the main goal wouldn't be to make it sound like a 1975 recording, but just to add back "that" certain something (tone, color-phase-depth, glue, dynamic non-linear "stuff" :P )

I use TB ReelBus and FF Saturn and I'm done searching for something else atm. :)
I suspect the upcoming u-he Satin would replace or add to TB ReelBus.

Gluing sounds together might sound easy but it's hard as it can be in some cases. Depends on what you want to stick together too.

+ Distortion sounds lovely! :love: Sometimes, I'll dial a sine wave and play my keyboard, peaking on the oscilloscope from time to time. The way that some dist algorithms act on polyphony, priceless! 8)

BERFAB wrote:The trend is now officially a tsunami. What's with all the tape/tube saturators?

Are we now so bored with pristine digital and the million and one ways to distort it that we now need a million and one ways to make them sound like they were recorded in 1975?
Instagram polaroids kind of piss me off :x :hihi: Really good photography though, film can do great things, I can get into that. I would definitely buy the argument that the accumulation of attentive exploration of the sonic properties of tapes and tape machines over the years (7 or 8 decades or something?) is highly concentrated wisdom about what sounds good.

3ee wrote:
BERFAB wrote:Are we now so bored with pristine digital and the million and one ways to distort it that we now need a million and one ways to make them sound like they were recorded in 1975?
I guess that the main goal wouldn't be to make it sound like a 1975 recording, but just to add back "that" certain something (tone, color-phase-depth, glue, dynamic non-linear "stuff" :P )
I often find myself pondering the notion of "THAT" something. I keep wondering how many people were REALLY exposed to "THAT" sound... and how many simply rely on "that" guy (who said that "this is it"). my guess is 99% who have never heard such a machine vs 1% (or less) who actually did.

h-He products sound divinely across the board... but we are saturated with saturation plugins (pun intended), so one could say they do/did exactly what's written on the can :wink: ...

I cannot help but hope that Satin will have "That" price tag... :)
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

Everyones been taken off the scent i see.....good work.

Tp3 wrote:I often find myself pondering the notion of "THAT" something. I keep wondering how many people were REALLY exposed to "THAT" sound... and how many simply rely on "that" guy (who said that "this is it"). my guess is 99% who have never heard such a machine vs 1% (or less) who actually did.
I think we were exposed to "that" sound without even knowing most of the time, through quality classics "like" :D ...

For most people I guess that it's not mainly how good/accurate or bad an emulation would be, just if it's an overall good plug or not and if it is needed for the work to be done...

but dunno :shrug: sometimes we just seem to rely on "that" information... at least until we know better.

after we test all the plugs to exclude most until we're left with the best, than we can pick subjectively :P

I was overexcited yesterday, edited the topic name, sorry... :ud:

3ee wrote:I think we were exposed to "that" sound without even knowing most of the time, through quality classics "like" :D ...
Is "like" a compressor ? phase shifter ? iz eet PHaTTT ? :P
3ee wrote:For most people I guess that it's not mainly how good/accurate or bad an emulation would be, just if it's an overall good plug or not and if it is needed for the work to be done...
Naaa.... that's what I was saying. to correctly judge, you need a reference (someone who have heard. and likes it... or not). since most forum inhabitants don't poses such an experience, you are left without a reference.
Or, alternatively you...
3ee wrote:just seem to rely on "that" information... at least until we know better.
Buy that could never happen. the minute you are exposed to other's opinion, you are biased. like it or not.

I'd say MOST of the time "we just seem to rely on 'that' information". there's no time to waste. tomorrow is a new day, with a new plug... new assessments, and so on and so forth...
3ee wrote:after we test all the plugs to exclude most until we're left with the best, than we can pick subjectively :P
Read this :wink:
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

Tp3 wrote:
3ee wrote:I think we were exposed to "that" sound without even knowing most of the time, through quality classics "like" :D ...
I was talking about the overall sound of the 70s-80s that you have more clues it was tracked, mastered and/or distributed on tape.
Seems to me that you're a bit disrespectful. :? I was just half kidding around.
Buy that could never happen. the minute you are exposed to other's opinion, you are biased. like it or not.

I'd say MOST of the time "we just seem to rely on 'that' information". there's no time to waste. tomorrow is a new day, with a new plug... new assessments, and so on and so forth...
If someone is exposed to other's opinions that does not mean that they automatically turn biased... people can choose to neither agree or disagree, at least until they can make better sense of it.

I stated sometimes we do choose to take some info as "legit" and most certainly I didn't meant that it's good to act by that model in most cases.

Less is more?
I used to have that mindset but sometimes less is simply less. There is a time and place for it tho.

hmm it faces some stiff competition from Slate Digital et co. We will see! I didn't see a tape machine in the Urs office in the video...
circuit modeling and 0-dfb filters are cool

3ee wrote:
Tp3 wrote:
I was talking about the overall sound of the 70s-80s that you have more clues it was tracked, mastered and/or distributed on tape.
Seems to me that you're a bit disrespectful. :? I was just half kidding around.
I was kidding too, fella. chill :hug:
3ee wrote:If someone is exposed to other's opinions that does not mean that they automatically turn biased... people can choose to neither agree or disagree, at least until they can make better sense of it.

I stated sometimes we do choose to take some info as "legit" and most certainly I didn't meant that it's good to act by that model in most cases.

OK. fair enough.
3ee wrote:Less is more?
I used to have that mindset but sometimes less is simply less. There is a time and place for it tho.
Well, researches contradict you, I'm afraid.

We are all consumers. nothing more and nothing less. that is a fact and an axiom.

But I want to stop here, because the topic could drift away very far, and very fast...
(Gabe Dumbbell)

Tp3 wrote:
3ee wrote:Less is more?
Well, researches contradict you, I'm afraid.

We are all consumers. nothing more and nothing less. that is a fact and an axiom.

But I want to stop here, because the topic could drift away very far, and very fast...
Ah consumerism, less is more, I agree! :D
Took a better look at the book, looks interesting and now I'm reviewing the author's TED talk, thanks. :)

OK, back to the topic!

Sendy don't cha' dare come here and yell "Hail Satin!" again!
Man, that one got stuck on me about a month :lol:

Tp3 wrote: I am a consumer. nothing more and nothing less.
There, fixed that for you...

Look, it's not gonna be like the others. For instance, it does the 80ies vocal compression trick that none of the other tape emus do afaiaa.

It's not just tape - it's "all of tape and beyond"

Urs wrote:Look, it's not gonna be like the others. For instance, it does the 80ies vocal compression trick that none of the other tape emus do afaiaa.

It's not just tape - it's "all of tape and beyond"
Way to go !

Return to “u-he”