New! U-he Compressor and/or Tape emulator - Satin!

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Urs wrote:Look, it's not gonna be like the others. For instance, it does the 80ies vocal compression trick that none of the other tape emus do afaiaa.
Forgive what may seem like a stupid question here, but what is the "80's vocal compression trick?" What track(s) from the 80's would serve as an example?

Is it driving the tape so hard, that it begins to act as a compressor?

Also, is the goal to start with a model of a particular machine/tape combo and branch out from there for the "and beyond" part? And does "and beyond" mean "more of what tape machines do well" or does it mean we might see ADT and Delay effects as well?

Too much detail :)

I remember from the 80ies that a certain setting was abused to bring out vocals more shiny. It was actually turned on during recoding and turned off during playback. Satin goes all the way simulating recording and playback separately. To some degree, you can record to one machine and playback from another, without much latency inbetween.

Apart from obvious in/out, I see Speed (RPM? IPS? looks like RPM thanks to artifacts), Pre-Emphasis, 2 tape types (I & II), soft-clip, is that bottom drop down for tape machine type, or similar effect? Not sure.

2 of those say 'HF [sat?]' and 'Bass .........', so damping/brightening & that classic tape "bass bump".

Looks like it has grouping too (the top dropdown).

Is that "mix" for the right main control? Looks like "hiss", but I'd guess mix, since hiss isn't (at least not in my mind) a main control.

Hint: This is an alpha mock up gui. It's by no means final in any respect. We simply like to work with an attractive interface from the very early stages 8)

Something tells me this has stolen the thunder of what could have been a pretty cool reveal at Musikmesse.

It's clear that no one can leave this forum alive....

Urs wrote:Too much detail :)

I remember from the 80ies that a certain setting was abused to bring out vocals more shiny. It was actually turned on during recoding and turned off during playback. Satin goes all the way simulating recording and playback separately. To some degree, you can record to one machine and playback from another, without much latency inbetween.
Dolby?

Nah...

You'll all see :)

Urs wrote:Too much detail :)

Mmm! Could that be the George Michael vocal trick? He would toggle the Dolby nose reduction on then off to get his trademark sound.... that and the incredibly sibilant echo in the reverb. Cool idea if that's what it is :)

kelvyn wrote: Could that be the George Michael vocal trick? He would toggle the Dolby nose reduction
George Michael has a small nose. Why would he need nose reduction? :)

FrantzM wrote:
kelvyn wrote: Could that be the George Michael vocal trick? He would toggle the Dolby nose reduction
Someone had to make that joke... :hihi:

Fritze wrote:
FrantzM wrote:
Someone had to make that joke... :hihi:
:hihi:

I think he refers to Michael Jackson ;-)
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
Sculptures ScreenDream Mastodon

ThomasHelzle wrote:I think he refers to Michael Jackson ;-)
It's hard to say how important no(i)se reduction was in the success of Thriller.

Well, Zombies often seem to use excessive amounts of nose reduction.

I seem to remember George Michael using other pow(d)ers to reduce nose though.
Last edited by ThomasHelzle on Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
Sculptures ScreenDream Mastodon

nice can t wait to try this !

Return to “u-he”