Roadmap Changes :-)

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Bronto Scorpio wrote:Everyone would benefit from one single, well defined plugin standard. Plugin developers as well as the guys who provide the software that hosts the plugins.
Sadly that will never happen.
And what do you think about DSSI/LV2?

abique wrote:
Bronto Scorpio wrote:Everyone would benefit from one single, well defined plugin standard. Plugin developers as well as the guys who provide the software that hosts the plugins.
LGPL. That would require us to wrap plug-ins. Not sure how great that is.

Urs wrote:
abique wrote:
LGPL. That would require us to wrap plug-ins. Not sure how great that is.
Why would it require to wrap anything? For example LV2 being LGPL will only require you to share your modifications to LV2, and I don't see why you would modify LV2 because it is the interface.

abique wrote:Why would it require to wrap anything? For example LV2 being LGPL will only require you to share your modifications to LV2, and I don't see why you would modify LV2 because it is the interface.
Ah, okay, yeah. My bad, I thought static linking was a no go.

We'll see. If it takes off then maybe it makes sense to look into it.

There is no static libs in lv2 and dssi, just headers and demo plugins.

Also LV2 is very popular with open source software, and it is the standard now with Linux. Bitwig plans to support lv2 after 1.0.

Yeah, everybody is waiting to see if Bitwig can crack Linux.

Urs wrote:Yeah, everybody is waiting to see if Bitwig can crack Linux.
I guess it depends if SteamOS can finally crack Linux as a desktop OS ;-)

Bitwig runs great on Linux, only Jack is a royal pain...

But it's internal devices show some interesting things that a future plugin standard could support (like being able to have other devices/plugins in the feedback loop of a delay).

Maybe if Steinberg annoys developers enough, something interesting can finally happen to the plugin world.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

Urs wrote:Yeah, everybody is waiting to see if Bitwig can crack Linux.
Bitwig is not enough itself, Linux also needs excellent native plugins.
ThomasHelzle wrote:I guess it depends if SteamOS can finally crack Linux as a desktop OS ;-)
Hey I'm not sure that games and music production share a lot of market ;-)
ThomasHelzle wrote:Bitwig runs great on Linux, only Jack is a royal pain...
You can use it with ALSA also, and as it is using PortAudio, if you have a new audio interface, you can implement the backend in PortAudio yourself and then Bitwig could support it, no excuses ;-) For exemple, PortAudio already supports WASAPI, and Ableton live 9 does not. Which is sad, because WASAPI works very well with wine (tested with Reaper 64bits).
ThomasHelzle wrote:But it's internal devices show some interesting things that a future plugin standard could support (like being able to have other devices/plugins in the feedback loop of a delay).
Yes it is great design, it is like being able to insert ACE as an oscillator into Zebra.
ThomasHelzle wrote:Maybe if Steinberg annoys developers enough, something interesting can finally happen to the plugin world.
I don't think that it depends on Steinberg. I think that it just depends on the right people to believe and put enough energy into it.

Cheers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjRAKuis7T8
I found that an interesting thought, not because of these sharing markets but because Linux needs one driving force to get out of it's fractal confusion to become a system for enough people to make it a non-niche development target.

Sadly Alsa works not with my Firewire interface.

It doesn't "depend" on Steinberg but if the alternatives are getting annoying enough, that may nudge some developers to put that energy into something better. It will not happen as long as the existing stuff works well enough = VST 2.x forever ;-)

Cheers,

Tom

Sorry for the quote crap - I cut it out now, too much trouble to be worth it - I hope it's understandable anyway...
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

Hey guys

I know you had to shift priorities for a while there and I'm really happy with the Zebra update, the DIVA update is really tempting, too, but is there any news about Presswerk and UHBIK you would share?

Cheers!
..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

medienhexer wrote:Hey guys

I know you had to shift priorities for a while there and I'm really happy with the Zebra update, the DIVA update is really tempting, too, but is there any news about Presswerk and UHBIK you would share?

Cheers!
We've decided to revise the concept or Presswerk. As it was, it's too complicated to be beneficial.

We then have to figure out what we'll do for Uhbik, compressor-wise.

In parallel, since we have a dedicated UI designer now, we'll developer visual concepts for the plug-in we don't speak of. But that has less priority than Bazille at the moment, and we'll see how Zebra3 fits in the picture (since this is a roadmap thread and Zebra3 is slowly but surely climbing towards the top spot)

Urs wrote:In parallel, since we have a dedicated UI designer now, we'll developer visual concepts for the plug-in we don't speak of. But that has less priority than Bazille at the moment, and we'll see how Zebra3 fits in the picture (since this is a roadmap thread and Zebra3 is slowly but surely climbing towards the top spot)
All great news! :clap:
Best of luck! :tu:

As always, thanks for sharing this info! :hug:
..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

Urs wrote:
In parallel, since we have a dedicated UI designer now, we'll developer visual concepts for the plug-in we don't speak of. But that has less priority than Bazille at the moment, and we'll see how Zebra3 fits in the picture (since this is a roadmap thread and Zebra3 is slowly but surely climbing towards the top spot)
That is interesting. I really would like to see high resolution 3D UI because right now it is 2D and ability to custumize different parts of it( for example change colors of knobs or light indicators and etc)

I can guess u are working on Diva first right now.. :)
https://слово-божье.рф

Damn I love U-he. I just went through few pages of this topic. This is what is most amazing about this company. When other developers have problems with standards, you usually get to know it over some horrible crashfest happening on your computer. U-he guys will tell you, warn you and advise you use the old one. Guys, you're the best. I'm telling it all the time and it's still the truth.

Another thing ... why the hell to devide between GUI and working part? They've teached me this on my highschool also, but I never found out why this should be the absolute rule. I get it when we talk about mission critical stuff. Bank systems, nuclear power plant software, but audio plugins? I mean, all you end up with is essentially construction slowing you down in implementing new functions. If GUI decide to crash, you end up with unusable process running in background anyway. I'm not developer, but I still think that in good coder can write crash free code with integrated GUI and bad coder can still write detached GUI that can take down the logic layer with ease.
Evovled into noctucat...
http://www.noctucat.com/

Return to “u-he”