Bug Friday - win & suffer with u-he!

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all,

While everyone recovers from turkeys and Black Friday left overs, we've been excessively busy wrecking our brains over a weird bug. It seems to happen only to very few people and it's very unfortunate that no-one at u-he is among those. For that reason it is tough to debug. Tough times often require unconventional methods. Thus we have decided to take the challenge to you guys out there:

Step 1: Download & Install

UPDATE: Final build, a very last chance! Less CPU hungry, focussed on the bug

Satin rev 2107 Win
Satin rev 2107 Mac

(this is a special beta version - not meant for production, but good for bug hunts!)

Step 2: Set up a project

- in your host of choice
- regardless if Mac/Win/VST/AU/AAX/VST3/32/64bit
- add 1-20 audio/master tracks
- add 1-20 Satins
- we recommend not to use existing projects!

Step 3: Playback

- if any Satin doesn't pass audio or is "muted", go straight to Step 5

Note: This version of Satin drains some serious CPU for debugging - if playback stutters, don't worry, it's only this build of Satin! CPU overloads are to be expected.

Step 4: Save Project, Close host, start host, open project, play back again

- is any Satin silent/muted now?
- if not, repeat Step 4 a few times

Step 5: Satin.log

- on your desktop you'll find a file called "Satin.log"
- open in Wordpad/Textedit
- does it contain the phrase "BUG FRIDAY!"?
- if no, go back to Step 4

Step 6: If you have a Satin.log that contains "BUG FRIDAY!"

- please send that Satin.log to support at u-he dot com

The first sender of a Satin.log that contains "BUG FRIDAY!" wins a u-he plug-in of choice

Another u-he plug-in of choice goes to a randomly picked sender of any such Satin.log that reaches us till Monday Dec. 2nd around noon in Berlin.

... but if none come in till Monday then we will assume that whatever we did, it fixed the bug :oops:

Anyone can take part, you don't need to be a u-he customer. Needless to say, it doesn't help to just write the phrase into any random Satin.log file - we'll notice whether or not it's genuine :hihi:

Good luck,

- Urs
Last edited by Urs on Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:41 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Sounds like a fun challenge. I have to wait about 10 hours to finish work and go to my brother's birthday party but I will do my best to help test this! Winning a free Zebra 2 would make my day ;)

:hihi:

Good luck :)

Also, don't despair if it doesn't happen. We've tried this for weeks :bang:

Do we need to select a Satin preset, or is the initial setting (upon insert) OK?

Infinite5ths wrote:Do we need to select a Satin preset, or is the initial setting (upon insert) OK?
We don't know. I guess that also trying Delays, Flangers, different pre/post EQs and companders may raise the probability.

However, we did have bug reports with basic settings.

One thing: The logging stops after 10000 lines to keep things managable. If silence (or other weirdness) hasn't occurred after, hmm, a few minutes and if the log file is boyond an MB, then I guess not much more will be written into it.

One hint is that it happens a lot right after loading a saved project. We've tried dozens of projects, but it remains a mystery to us.

- Urs

Thank you for the clarification.

Just with 5 SATIN's instances open in LOGIC 9.1.8. will not soon stop: just with setting 512 Buffer, 10 MB of RAM on a MacPro 2 x 2.66 GHz _

Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7., D.P. 11.3 & Kontakt 7.7.2 _ Gibson ES 295 & Explorer _ FilterBank2 Sherman & PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Altiverb 8_ Explorer Loïc Le Pape
https://loiclepapesteelguitars.com/

Satin is functioning properly on my system. And it sounds tasty.

On my totally underpowered office workstation, it just stutters and crashes. No traces of Friday Bugs here...

For now the VST 2 GUI in Cubase 7.06 Mac is very sluggish (though from what I can hear it processes the sound). VST3 seems to be working fine. Wavelab 6 and Reaper no problem at all.

No Bug Friday
Last edited by ZINO on Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geronimo wrote:Just with 5 SATIN's instances open in LOGIC 9.1.8. will not soon stop: just with setting 512 Buffer, 10 MB of RAM on a MacPro 2 x 2.66 GHz _
As I said, this version is excessively hungry :oops:

It checks for faulty samples in hundreds of places throughout the process.

Can't reproduce under Reaper 4.

Any proof other than the bug report?

I'm running the demo. I got a strange error when I tried to instantiate Satin more than once, but apart from that, all went well. Seems like I will not earn anything :(
I'll try to launch the project again tomorrow.
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “u-he”