Modulation / LFOs in DIVA = ?!?

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi

To me the modulation part of DIVA is rather strange (and the manual isn't helping very much).

The first thing, which was (and still is) very confusing to me, is that you have to turn the "Depth Mod" knob all the way up to turn OFF modulation (if source-parameter is set to "none").
To me this makes no sense, and I don't know a single other synth, which does it that way.

The second thing is the routing of the LFOs.
It took some time to realize, that the LFOs are hard routed to certain parameters, and I'm still not sure, which parameters those always are.
LFO1 seems to always control pitch. Ok, fine.
LFO2 is labeled with "Mod", and with the DCO OSC Module it's hard wired to PW.
This is not mentioned in the manual, and I'm not sure, which parameters get controlled by LFO2 with other modules.

To me the whole thing is a bit strange, complicated and very unflexible.
There are only 5 additional hard wired mod destinations (and strangely no filter cutoff). And you can't use any of them without having the selected LFO controlling its hard wired parameter ... is this actually right?
So for example I can't modulate the resonance without either also modulating pitch or PW. And I can't modulate Cutoff, ADSR-times, etc. at all.

In my opinion it would make a lot more sense to remove all the hard wiring and just have a simple matrix, where you can select "source" and "destination" for the modulations you want to make.
(And as destination all or most parameters could be included.)

This would make DIVA a lot more flexible and also a lot easier to control.
Or maybe I am terribly overlooking something here?

Nokenoku wrote: The first thing, which was (and still is) very confusing to me, is that you have to turn the "Depth Mod" knob all the way up to turn OFF modulation (if source-parameter is set to "none").
To me this makes no sense, and I don't know a single other synth, which does it that way.
If you want to turn off modulation, set the modulation knob to 0 for whatever parameter is being modulated. By default LFO 2 is assigned to cutoff. By default the modulation amount is 0.

Depth Mod controls how much the modulation is controlled by the secondary modulator.

Nokenoku wrote: The second thing is the routing of the LFOs.
It took some time to realize, that the LFOs are hard routed to certain parameters, and I'm still not sure, which parameters those always are.
LFO1 seems to always control pitch. Ok, fine.
LFO2 is labeled with "Mod", and with the DCO OSC Module it's hard wired to PW.
This is not mentioned in the manual, and I'm not sure, which parameters get controlled by LFO2 with other modules.
The only hard wired routing is LFO1 to vibrato. LFO1 is always assigned to vibrato.

Otherwise all other assignments can be changed.

For example, click on the little triangle next to DCO PW LFO2 and select any other modulator.

Nokenoku wrote:In my opinion it would make a lot more sense to remove all the hard wiring and just have a simple matrix, where you can select "source" and "destination" for the modulations you want to make.
(And as destination all or most parameters could be included.)
The modifications tab is like a mod matrix.

Some parameters have dedicated modulation knobs on the main GUI... cutoff for example, has 2. If you want to modulate resonance, you would go to the modifications tab. There you can set whatever source you want for resonance and a number of other hardwired targets.

If you modulate a parameter that does not have dedicated mod knob on the main gui, then a little red circle with a 'M' will appear in the gui showing that this parameter is modulated.

With 'rectify', 'quantize', 'lag', etc... you have some powerful control over modulation

In the filter, the 2 cutoff modulators are assigned as ENV2 and LFO2 but they can be set to any source.

hth

Omg, omg omg. :oops:
Thank you a LOT for the help and excuse my blindness! :dog:

I didn't even notice the LFO2 labels on the OSC and filter sections.
(Also didn't knew, you could change it by clicking on the triangle. On the template-preset I used, those labels didn't stand out ... after changing them, they changed their look.)

Still I have to say, the whole thing is a bit confusing with this "mixing" of different mod-routing concepts.
But ok, now that I know, it won't be a problem I guess.

Thx again!

Nokenoku wrote:Omg, omg omg. :oops:
Thank you a LOT for the help and excuse my blindness! :dog:

I didn't even notice the LFO2 labels on the OSC and filter sections.
(Also didn't knew, you could change it by clicking on the triangle. On the template-preset I used, those labels didn't stand out ... after changing them, they changed their look.)

Still I have to say, the whole thing is a bit confusing with this "mixing" of different mod-routing concepts.
But ok, now that I know, it won't be a problem I guess.

Thx again!
glad to help...

it is a bit confusing at first.

When you set a modulation source other than default, it becomes a text field... I think it would be more obvious if the default was also a text field, but it would perhaps not look as pretty. Anyway, once understood, it is easy.

Yes, it is a bit confusing. It's more like a matrix of 'mods' (like some smart guy modded your synth to do cool extra stuff) than a literal mod matrix, though. That is both awesome and disorienting at the same time. If you think about it a certain way, it kind of lends a weird feel of credibility. But once you get where the 'modder' (urs or staff?) is coming from, it's much appreciated and not that complex.

"and the manual isn't helping very much". Really? :pray:
BTW I'm always open to suggestions for improvements!
Last edited by Howard on Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yep, it's more of a "Modder thing".

Unfortunately, Mod Matrices like we have in Zebra don't work well with our MultiCore support. The way we did it only works if one voice is processed after the other, but it creates unexpected results when voices are processed concurrently.

Hence we couldn't do a traditional ModMatrix in Diva, at least not without substantial effort - for which we have no concept yet.

Hence we wanted to get the maximum out of the modulation possibilities we had, without cluttering the interface too much, i.e. without adding too many extra knobs. Hence the approach on the Modification tab, combined with Dymo labels for alternate modulations on the main panel (all of which you can't change on the original hardware without a mod anyway)

:-)

Necrobump to ask a question: how to do a negative vibrato on Diva? Like LFO modulating the pitch DOWN?

And, from the last post of Urs, any hope to see a ModMatrix on Diva someday?

Negative vibrato: Disregard the Vibrato knob (set it to minimum), route the LFO through Invert in Modifications, then use Invert for Tune Mod in oscillator module.

Select 'Polarity' in the LFO module to make the signal unipolar.

Route the LFO to oscillator TuneModDepth and turn the knob left/negative.

waltercruz wrote:Necrobump to ask a question: how to do a negative vibrato on Diva? Like LFO modulating the pitch DOWN?
I'm not sure what you mean by "negative vibrato", as LFO1 is bipolar and the wave is symmetrical by default...
Hunch: Do you want the mod wheel to reduce the vibrato depth instead of increasing it? If so, do this:
Vibrato Down.png
If you need to use the Stack, select "Alternate" as source for Rectify and replace "StackIndex" here with "Rectify".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hello! Love Diva and it's helping me learn a lot. I've seen some minimoog clips where you can modulate the filter with oscillator 3. Can you do this in Diva? If so, how? Thank you.

I must be dense. How do i set LFO1 depth with no modulator?

Return to “u-he”