Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
3ee
KVRAF

3601 posts since 8 Mar, 2006

Postby 3ee; Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:04 pm DCO Majic (wavetable inside)

Citizens of u-he KVR... behold! :D ...

The real secret to super solid, sharp or blur-fuzzy-silky-digi-smooth yet still super solid timbres.

Perfect phase relationship on a combination of phase synced good waves.
Volume helps shape the wave as well (basically, as you go up in pitch with one osc, you lower it's volume to blend it into one perceived timbre)

No more harsh or brittleness on attack/transients and polyphony! :hug:
--------------
Edit:

Here's my init patch, OSC3 is containing the DCO Wavetable. (note: it's not an osc preset but a normal patch, so load accordingly, than you can save your desired wavetable(s) from there as on osc preset or use the whole patch)
https://app.box.com/s/xfoi7n0amms8iycprbd8

Hope you enjoy! :)
Last edited by 3ee on Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:46 pm, edited 5 times in total.
3ee
KVRAF

Postby 3ee; Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:32 pm Re: DCO Majic

OK, ready to check out some combinations? :)

Here's a short list of 32 combinations (+1 init)
edit: finished building the waves, check 1st post for link. Thanks to everyone helping pick the best combinations to model.

May I suggest, marking the best as favorites and the "ugly" ones as junk (show junk enabled) and post/send an image ..or anyway you like, just let me know.
The ones you're not sure about leave them unmarked.

Tips:
- There are 2 types of waves: "sharp" and "blurry". In the end, I decided I have to model both since the sharp ones are great for bass and leads and the blurry ones are great for polyphonic stuff. So if you find similar ones and like them both, feel free to mark both as favorites.

- To avoid psycho-acoustic dilemmas, try to mark patches as quickly as you can and then review your picks. Listening a bit longer to some waves, they really scramble your brain and you can't notice differences or which one's better :hihi:

- If you don't really notice any difference between 2 patches, try playing lower notes, that usually tells them apart.

https://app.box.com/s/s5xrtclco7hni4t773c6

Zebra 2.7 rev 2127. Pitch synced for D4 and D3... if you want the static timbre try those notes. (works @ 44.1k SR)

Only Saw and Square waves were used... managed to get a total of 57 "good" combinations, you are checking the short (best) list of that.

Have fun! :)
Last edited by 3ee on Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.maki
KVRAF

4369 posts since 21 Jan, 2008, from oO

Postby .maki; Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:17 pm Re: DCO Majic (phase1: choose)

nice work!
3ee
KVRAF

Postby 3ee; Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:51 pm Re: DCO Majic (phase1: choose)

Thanks, will check give it a check. :)

After more votes, I'll average the results, hopefully to keep people's favorites and use less of the "junk".
.maki
KVRAF

Postby .maki; Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:57 am Re: DCO Majic (phase1: choose)

why don`t you just convert them all?
aaron aardvark
KVRian

1407 posts since 22 Jan, 2011, from near Los Angeles

Postby aaron aardvark; Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:48 am Re: DCO Majic (phase1: choose)

3ee,
Normally I don't know very well what to do with basic wave forms, as I'm better at tweaking someone else's patches that are at least somewhat elaborate (not taking anything away from what work you've done so far). I've only spent a few minutes with your waves/these patches, though on the first one I added another oscillator and effects and came up with a decent patch so far. I also changed the GeoBlend to SpectroBlend if I remember correctly. I've read the manual, but I don't quite understand yet the GeoBlend & Spectroblend stuff very well. Thank you.
Sendy
KVRAF

5231 posts since 20 Jul, 2010

Postby Sendy; Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:45 pm Re: DCO Majic (phase1: choose)

Having phase locked oscillators opens up so many fun tricks in Zebra, and now Diva since she got phase retriggering!

Here's one thing I like to do: create four octaves of phase locked square waves and balance the levels until you get a stepped ramp waveform, then modulate all the pulsewidths with the same controller, from a square to a needle pulse. You get these really beautiful fractal waveforms. Doing the same with sync works well too.

That said, I haven't got much of a clue what you're doing in this thread... Are you thinking of making wavetables that contain two phase-locked pitches?
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!
bmrzycki
KVRAF

4033 posts since 11 Aug, 2006, from Austin, TX

Postby bmrzycki; Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:18 pm Re: DCO Majic (phase1: choose)

Sendy wrote:That said, I haven't got much of a clue what you're doing in this thread... Are you thinking of making wavetables that contain two phase-locked pitches?
I'm with you Sendy, I'm a bit lost myself... :oops:

However, knowing 3ee it's got to sound interesting so I'm awaiting a few clips!
clangorous
KVRist

234 posts since 12 Nov, 2013, from Charlotte, North Carolina

Postby clangorous; Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:28 pm Re: DCO Majic (phase1: choose)

Here you go:

Regarding your comment:
3ee wrote:Perfect phase relationship on a combination of phase synced good waves.

Can you explain what you mean by Perfect Phase relationship?

Also, can you help me understand something? How do Phase and Sync differ? They are separate settings in Zebra, but don't you need sync to have control over the phase?

I know I am missing something here, and cannot (so far) find an explanation of how these two parameters differ and influence each other. Appreciate any guidance you have.
3ee
KVRAF

Postby 3ee; Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:30 pm Re: DCO Majic (phase1: choose)

Suloo wrote:why don`t you just convert them all?

I'm not converting them, I'm manually construction them (for GeoMorph mode)
They take a significant amount of time to get past the 95% right range.

Sampling for GeoBlend mode gives limited results nowhere near the "full" GeoMorph resolution/accuracy.

Can take up to 1-2 hours per wave, depending how complex the wave is to get it "perfect" ..that's why I'm not doing all + best to have a limited amount of most useful waves to work with. :P
.maki
KVRAF

Postby .maki; Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:32 pm Re: DCO Majic (phase1: choose)

ah ok, thought you go with that blueberry thing..
3ee
KVRAF

Postby 3ee; Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:36 pm Re: DCO Majic (phase1: choose)

Sendy wrote:Are you thinking of making wavetables that contain two phase-locked pitches?

Exactly!
Than it would be easy to combine "combinations"... try oscfx and multiwave modes and what not... will certainly lead to some cool results :)
3ee
KVRAF

Postby 3ee; Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:37 pm Re: DCO Majic (phase1: choose)

Sendy wrote:Here's one thing I like to do: create four octaves of phase locked square waves and balance the levels until you get a stepped ramp waveform, then modulate all the pulsewidths with the same controller, from a square to a needle pulse. You get these really beautiful fractal waveforms. Doing the same with sync works well too.

That sounds cool, need to try! :D
3ee
KVRAF

Postby 3ee; Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:49 pm Re: DCO Majic (phase1: choose)

clangorous wrote:Can you explain what you mean by Perfect Phase relationship?

Also, can you help me understand something? How do Phase and Sync differ? They are separate settings in Zebra, but don't you need sync to have control over the phase?

I know I am missing something here, and cannot (so far) find an explanation of how these two parameters differ and influence each other. Appreciate any guidance you have.

Once you engage the osc phase sync (not hardsync) to restart phase on key press, you will automatically have benefit from tweaking the osc phase parameter resulting in a great variety of wave variations while in relationship with another phase synced wave.

A perfect phase relationship is when the two (or more) waves are adjusted/phased in such a way that it feels like one solid wave. (and it also looks great while viewing on an oscilloscope)

I'm currently picking out (with the help of you guys) the very best/useful wave combinations to model into one 16 slot osc wavetable. :tu:
.maki
KVRAF

Postby .maki; Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:51 pm Re: DCO Majic (phase1: choose)

nice..bring em on :party:

now i`m curious how it turns out :hyper:
Next

Moderator: u-he Mods

Return to u-he