DCO Majic (wavetable inside)

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

OK guys, thanks for the help and feedback so far! Keep those votes coming in and I'll get to work in no time! :)

maybe provide one as a teaser? :hihi:

Suloo wrote:maybe provide one as a teaser? :hihi:
One what? :P I haven't begun to model the waves yet...
Basically the modeled waves should sound exactly like the patches already posted within this thread.

After the waves are complete, will update my init patch so everybody will have access to the "DCO Majic 1" wavetable.

Perhaps I can post a few clips that shows what you can do with the waves and why they are so important to have within an init patch wave palette. ;)

I find them as important as the other basic waves, these can be considered "basic2" can't believe I was patching without these waves all this time! :dog:

One interesting effect would be that if correctly filtered, some waves will sound very similar to acoustic instruments having an interesting pattern of odd and even harmonics.

3ee wrote:
Perhaps I can post a few clips that shows what you can do with the waves and why they are so important to have within an init patch wave palette. ;)
do it man ;)

sry..i`m catifized from that bitwig thread, couldn`t resist..

333EEE :love: :love: :love: :dog: :dog: :dog: :tu: :tu: :tu: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

What an incredible POWER you released here!

Can't choose right now, i would take all, except the hard fifths - or i just can't
figurate jet how to use those. :oops:

It was time to give some love for the oscillators. :idea:

I'v got a NEW Zebra!

THANK YOU! :clap:

I think the cat wants me for dinner.
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

I see what you're getting at. Afaics, with the exception of perfect unison and octave intervals, it's impossible to harmonically phase lock two Zebra oscillators.

Tuning one oscillator 701.96 cents above another - the closest you can get to a perfect fifth (701.95501... cents) in Zebra - results in audible phasing.

DCO style phase locked harmonic intervals can be done with a single oscillator using Spectroblend or Geomorph (by "mixing" waves), but drawing these by hand is tedious.

Some examples: Harmonic Oscillators (try Major Third, Minor Third, Perfect Fifth etc.)

hakey wrote: Afaics, with the exception of perfect unison and octave intervals, it's impossible to harmonically phase lock two Zebra oscillators.

DCO style phase locked harmonic intervals can be done with a single oscillator using Spectroblend or Geomorph (by "mixing" waves), but drawing these by hand is tedious.

Some examples: Harmonic Oscillators (try Major Third, Minor Third, Perfect Fifth etc.)
Got a great phase lock on a lower D note running @ 44.1k with the perfect 5ths and octave of those.

voice drift off and detune the 2nd osc to +1.83 ..anyway, need them perfectly locked just for a sec to make a snapshot with my oscilloscope.

Thought about making other intervals.. but 1st, I need to get these main ones into a wavetable... they are plenty as it is to choose from atm, so making all at one would have been total overkill.

for those awaiting audio clips, there will be some later... and don't expect anything stellar, they would probably be some quick doodles. :P

Plus, can't show the real benefit yet since I don't have the waves modeled but some experiments are made and yeah, clips will be made whoohoo! :D

3ee wrote:Got a great phase lock on a lower D note running @ 44.1k with the perfect 5ths and octave of those.
Weird. Must be a quirk of Zebra's tuning law.

Still think that the best way to achieve what you want - phase locked intervals on *every* note - is with Geomorph.

3ee wrote:
Sendy wrote:Here's one thing I like to do: create four octaves of phase locked square waves and balance the levels until you get a stepped ramp waveform, then modulate all the pulsewidths with the same controller, from a square to a needle pulse. You get these really beautiful fractal waveforms. Doing the same with sync works well too.
That sounds cool, need to try! :D
It may or may not be in the file I uploaded to the u-he patch site. In fact I'm pretty sure it is.

Here's another way to get dual pitches in one oscillator. Use spectroblend, then create the harmonic series, with 1 as the fundamental, 2 as the first harmonic, etc... For sine waves this is easy as it's just wave X having bar X maximum and all other bars zero. For sawtooth and square you have to add the harmonics by hand - very tedious but possible :)

Only drawback with using spectroblend is it's lowpassed sounding output. For example, the last squarewave in my "Square harmonics" wavetable is quite high pitches and so only has room for three harmonics plus fundamental. It would be nice if there was an option for spectroblend to extend the spectrum up to near nyquist, even if it just loops back and repeats the defined harmonics over and over again (which would yeild clean results on periodic waves at least, and probably sound like light samplerate reduction on less patterned waves).
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

hakey wrote:
3ee wrote:Got a great phase lock on a lower D note running @ 44.1k with the perfect 5ths and octave of those.
Weird. Must be a quirk of Zebra's tuning law.

Still think that the best way to achieve what you want - phase locked intervals on *every* note - is with Geomorph.
hmm... maybe you misunderstood something somewhere as I will use GeoMorph to construct the waves... and once created they will be like "phase-locked" forever! :D

Maybe all of this will be clear after posting the wavetable. ;)

Meanwhile, can you please check the DCO combinations postend in the 2nd post and let me know which you like or dislike or uncertain? :)

3ee wrote:
Meanwhile, can you please check the DCO combinations postend in the 2nd post and let me know which you like or dislike or uncertain? :)
+1 get the man going.. :tu:

Sendy wrote:For sawtooth and square you have to add the harmonics by hand - very tedious but possible :)
If you have my init patch, osc 1,2,4 has that already if you switch to SpectroBlend mode + other half sets of harmonics (for example splitting the square wave harmonics into 2 (odd/even) partial sets... if loaded into 2 oscs and phase locked will result into a square wave if the right phase...

shortcut to my init patch (updated since Zebra's bday)
https://app.box.com/s/xfoi7n0amms8iycprbd8

3ee wrote:hmm... maybe you misunderstood something somewhere as I will use GeoMorph to construct the waves
Yes, I misunderstood.

Sorry, I have no preference.

Return to “u-he”