Bazille - tips & tricks

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bazille

:hihi:

Let's try to keep it going then :hihi:

Not really a great tip, as it's probably common knowledge, but pinging the filters with a short pulse (like a very short envelope) is a great way to emulate all kinds of X0X-ish drums and other cool drum sounds like Buchla bongos. Mixing multible pinged filters with different amounts of resonance and different tunings can also be very interesting for various atonal percussion sounds.

Filters at the verge of self-oscillation have a lot potential in Bazille in general.

NerdMcBoon wrote:Not really a great tip, as it's probably common knowledge, but pinging the filters with a short pulse (like a very short envelope) is a great way to emulate all kinds of X0X-ish drums and other cool drum sounds like Buchla bongos. Mixing multible pinged filters with different amounts of resonance and different tunings can also be very interesting for various atonal percussion sounds.

Filters at the verge of self-oscillation have a lot potential in Bazille in general.
Yep, this is one of my favorite techniques (in fact, it's mentioned in the userguide). You can also do this in ACE.

I recently built a eurorack module based on the Serge VCFQ which actually has a 'Trig' input independent of the audio inputs. The original Serge filter is what inspired me to try this technique (though, I'm sure I'm not the first) in ACE and Bazille. Interestingly, the resonance does not need to be turned up in order to ping the filter from the Trig input, in fact the VCFQ won't oscillate without patching one of the outputs back into iteself, but increasing the resonance changes the character of the decaying tone (presumably due to the way the op-amps/VCAs are clipping) when you ping the trigger input.

It's a totally unique filter, unlike the Sallen-Key, Diode Ladder, Transistor Ladder, OTA filters I've used before. When the filter cutoff hits harmonics of the input signal, it clips in the craziest way. It sounds fantastic. I hope to do some recording this weekend.

The Serge stuff always looked interesting to me, but I never had the chance to use it yet. I'd definitely love to hear would you do with it! I recently had the chance to play with a Bastl Cinnamon. The character modes are insane when the thing is self oscillating.

I'm always trying to get away from the classic VCO -> VCF -> VCA structure (Bazille is great for that), so unique filters and other things as sound sources are always interesting to me.

Just for fun, I quickly recorded a quick demo of some X0X-ish Bazille drums: Some Bazille drums

The sounds in the demo are not really supposed to be super accurate emulations of 808/909 drums, but some of them are quite close to the originals nontheless.

NerdMcBoon wrote:Just for fun, I quickly recorded a quick demo of some X0X-ish Bazille drums: Some Bazille drums
That sounds very nice! Great work. :tu:

justin3am wrote:
NerdMcBoon wrote:Just for fun, I quickly recorded a quick demo of some X0X-ish Bazille drums: Some Bazille drums
That sounds very nice! Great work. :tu:

Yeah, very impressive! Percussion is most definitely the hardest thing to synthesize IMHO.

Wow I'm taking a look at the tips and tricks section of the manual for the first time....this is great!! I wish I had read through and tried all these before!

themagicalkamja wrote:Wow I'm taking a look at the tips and tricks section of the manual for the first time....this is great!! I wish I had read through and tried all these before!
It has a manual ?! :dog:
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

:borg:

Shabdahbriah wrote:
themagicalkamja wrote:Wow I'm taking a look at the tips and tricks section of the manual for the first time....this is great!! I wish I had read through and tried all these before!
It has a manual ?! :dog:
Duh haha. http://uhedownloads.heckmannaudiogmb.ne ... -guide.pdf - many excellent tips and tricks from pg. 51 onward.

as always with manuals by Howard. :tu:

Suloo wrote:as always with manuals by Howard. :tu:
I know. :wink: Howard does them brilliantly. Although, I don't think there was one, or much of one, when I picked it up upon its initial early beta release.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

How about this? Send an EG to two different destinations, but pass it trough an LG w/ a slow attack and/or decay on its way to one of the destinations. This will slow the EG down before that destination, causing the timing of the EG to offset between the two destination.

What would be interesting to add to this - but which I haven't tried myself yet - is to set that EG to be triggered by a beat-synced LFO. That would cause the LFO to trigger on loop, with the LG's time offset creating a kind of polyrhythm with the EG's two destinations.

All u-he products have manuals. Easiest way to get to it is click on the u-he logo directly on the synth (top right). Then choose "user guide". It's already installed on your HD.

Here's one I just discovered: Modulating a modulator with itself using a multiplex module.

How to do it: Take, for instance, LFO1's triangle output and send it into one of the multiplexes and then into the mod input of that same multiplex. Route that signal into, say, Filter1's mod input, and set LFO1's wave symmetry parameter all the way to the left or right.

What this essentially does, I think (somebody correct me if I'm wrong), is turn the modulating signal from a linear signal to an exponential signal. So in the example above, this would make the sawtooth/ramp LFO1 waveform increase/decrease in value exponentially.

It's also cool to do with the mod wheel. If you send the mod wheel's signal into the multiplex as described above, then route the multiplex's output to OSC1's pitch mod, then as you raise the mod wheel, the pitch will increase exponentially (i.e., only small increases from Mod Wheel = 0-50%, then much faster from 50-100%.

Pretty cool!

Return to “u-he”