Zebra feature request: one-shot arp mode

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Zebra feature request: a one-shot arpeggio mode.

This would be really useful for creating sound effects and chiptune stuff.

You can use the mod mappers for that already, no?

Yea you can use the mod mappers, this would be a little more powerful though since the arp triggers notes and has up to 6 voices per step.

+1

Let's simplify complex things that's the attribute of progress.

Instead of making new modules, that basically make the same things (but in slightly different way) i suggest a fully controllable multi-stage envelopes with semitones and tempo grid (just like present MSEG but more advanced) and Curve/line/Step switch.

So no basic (archaic) Envelopes section in the left (more space) and separate multi-stage envelopes for each parameter at separate panel (so Perform, Patching Panel, Envelope Panel and Preset Panel) and little dot button that will activate the Envelope for current parameter, so it not get confusing and chaotic.

This feature wouldn't require adding any new modules, just a new option in the drop down "arp loop" menu. Honestly what you're suggesting isn't at all what I was wanting.

Ok i will explain it another way: Instead of adding new functions to present arp module - replace the whole thing with modern solutions.
Because Advanced Multistage Envelopes can act like one-shoot arp (after playing a pattern - playback will hit the sustain point ect) , they can act like polyphonic arp with different scales per soundsource - ect.
While the Arp is an archaic solution when it comes to sound design (only MSEG modes like Single make arp in zebra 2 useful for some complex rhytmic patches) - Advanced Multistage Envelopes will do everything that Arp can do and more* and they are more user friendly (btw you can do one shot arp with MSEG now in Zebra 2)

Of course i expect this in Zebra 3 - i have nothing against one-shot arp mode in zebra 2.x (i don't know what kind of zebra version you have in mind?)

I would personally be disappointed with only 4 MSEG for so many sound modulation slots in Zebra 3.

DarkCoreAudio wrote: (btw you can do one shot arp with MSEG now in Zebra 2)
No you cannot... arps and step sequencers are not the same

pdxindy wrote:
What you mean you cannot?

And i know they not the same (if i want them repleced - it should be not the same for me - no point of replacing the same thing)

Blackflag want to do a one-shot chiptune - you can do that with MSEG and mod matrix (if you want negative tune values to keep it consistent and interesting with macros)

DarkCoreAudio wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
What you mean you cannot?

And i know they not the same (if i want them repleced - it should be not the same for me - no point of replacing the same thing)

Blackflag want to do a one-shot chiptune - you can do that with MSEG and mod matrix (if you want negative tune values to keep it consistent and interesting with macros)
He is making a feature request... The MSEG behaves nothing like an arp. The MSEG cannot come close to the behavior of the arp.

The MSEG does not re-trigger notes like the arp. The relationships of the steps are fixed and with an arp they are fluid according to the notes being held/played. The MSEG is monophonic and the Zebra arp is polyphonic. They are completely different tools.

pdxindy wrote:he MSEG behaves nothing like an arp.
For second time: Im aware of that (like i've said before)

The issue here is - if we can make chiptune with MSEG - show me how this chiptune sounds like and lets settle this with actions insted of words.
pdxindy wrote:The MSEG does not re-trigger notes like the arp.
Now we' running off the subject but its ok - dont mind off-side chat - the system that im talking about in first post(stepper/multistage envelope hybrid) is already in Absynth - so again - show me an Arp inside of Zebra 2 - that can't be done in Absynth.
pdxindy wrote:The relationships of the steps are fixed and with an arp they are fluid according to the notes being held/played. The MSEG is monophonic and the Zebra arp is polyphonic. They are completely different tools.
So basically you think that Poly arp in Zebra is More customizable than dedicated steppers for each oscil tune?

I can't disagree more if you think so.

Steppers will allow you to set anything (any kind of harmonies) on separate tune-step tracks so you can have (to simplify for the means of example) a pad with 3 progressions (even a chord pad with progressions) - and some fast arp on the top - all that in one patch - with Arp module you can't have it so its inferior to me and archaic - get it?

And question for Blackflag - what kind of arp you have in mind - do you have an example - that would be helpful.

DarkCoreAudio wrote:So basically you think that Poly arp in Zebra is More customizable than dedicated steppers for each oscil tune?

I can't disagree more if you think so.

Steppers will allow you to set anything (any kind of harmonies) on separate tune-step tracks so you can have (to simplify for the means of example) a pad with 3 progressions (even a chord pad with progressions) - and some fast arp on the top - all that in one patch - with Arp module you can't have it so its inferior to me and archaic - get it?
I get that you think that... you are saying that Steppers can be pre-programmed to duplicate any played arp...

However, the lovely quality of the arp is that it is not pre-programmed... it is programmed in realtime by the changing set of notes held. An arp offers a realtime fluid playing that step sequencers don't exactly because the steppers are pre-programmed.

I'm all for having both tools, and being able to use them together creatively.

Return to “u-he”