Audio in for Bazille?

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I think this is just an essential feature. Please implement it if possible. I would love to use external audio signals to modulate certain parameters.
:borg:

Yes. I'm hoping Bazille 2 (or 1.x maybe) will have a Zebrify-esque mono version with inputs. However, I also hope there will be a multi-i/o version in which the outputs will pass DC signals. Imagine passing control signals back and forth between Bazille and Reaktor or even an analog modular.

You can kinda do this with Zebrify if you don't mind working in mono but then you only get one audio input and one control signal input (no CV output because you can't send modulation to the outputs).

justin3am wrote:Yes. I'm hoping Bazille 2 (or 1.x maybe) will have a Zebrify-esque mono version with inputs. However, I also hope there will be a multi-i/o version in which the outputs will pass DC signals. Imagine passing control signals back and forth between Bazille and Reaktor or even an analog modular.

You can kinda do this with Zebrify if you don't mind working in mono but then you only get one audio input and one control signal input (no CV output because you can't send modulation to the outputs).
I really like how Cytomics The Drop has the ability to use audio input to affect the FM modulation via an external audio source. I think it's absolutely brilliant and you can do some really great things with it.

I've never worked with a real modular, but I think it would be definitely cool to be able to pass DC Signals from reaktor into Bazille!

Can you do that with Aalto?

Oh wait! If you send an audio signal into Bazille and set it to Mono you can use the FX on your sounds! That's pretty neat.

Now i have a great Spring Reverb, Distortion, Delay and Phaser/Flanger Effect unit too!

Still would be nice to use the audio signal to modulate parameters though, but now that I found this I imagine something like that might be on the way ;)

Can you imagine if U-he made a modular Uhbik system like this for audio ? I think it would give the eventide guys a run for their money..
Last edited by V0RT3X on Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Just made this to show off how to get Audio in with Ableton. I cover the technique in about a minute then mess around with the effects for the rest of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16DIyeD ... e=youtu.be

V0RT3X wrote:Oh wait! If you send an audio signal into Bazille and set it to Mono you can use the FX on your sounds! That's pretty near.
Doesn't work in FL Studio 11, even though it's possible to load Bazille beta as an effect. :(

Not sure how to do the routing in Reaper, anyone been able to route external audio into the Bazille beta FX in Reaper?

V-GER wrote:
V0RT3X wrote:Oh wait! If you send an audio signal into Bazille and set it to Mono you can use the FX on your sounds! That's pretty near.
Doesn't work in FL Studio 11, even though it's possible to load Bazille beta as an effect. :(

Not sure how to do the routing in Reaper, anyone been able to route external audio into the Bazille beta FX in Reaper?

I am using the VST version of Bazille on my mac if that helps. I also found that the AU version does not allow the same routing options as a VST which in my eyes seem to be common amongst many AU versions of plugins.

This is actually a fun thing to have, because it lets me run FM8 into Bazille and effectively have 2 instruments as one instrument.

I can still control Bazille as a instrument, even with the other input coming in and if i have midi control over both then i can play them both at the same time. THe only downside is you can't play polyphonic patches with bazille just mono or Duophonic.
Last edited by V0RT3X on Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

V0RT3X wrote:
V-GER wrote:

I am using the VST version of Bazille on my mac if that helps. I also found that the AU version does not allow the same routing options as a VST which in my eyes seem to be common amongst many AU versions of plugins.
Ah, I'm on Windows so it's probably not the same here... :( I got an old secondhand Mac I got for running Metasynth and Numerology but I haven't gotten it all up and running as much as I'd like to, I'll see if I can get anything happening in there later after I've gotten some food and stuff...
And yup, I've noticed on Mac it seems VST is the way to go if your host allows it. I haven't ever seen any advantage with AU mentioned anywhere, it's just some hosts won't take anything else as far as I can see.

V0RT3X wrote:
V-GER wrote:

EDIT: Changed this post as there's an easier and better way…this way you can get the completely wet signal including Bazille or you can bypass Bazille to hear the original audio.

(Deleted text)

Start one instance of the Plug-in you want to run through Bazille on the first track (I used Aalto) or paste an audio file into the track. Click on FX to add Bazille. Just add it to the track as an FX. Be sure it's downstream from the original plug-in if any. Set Bazille to Mono and you're ready.eleted text)

I used the VST versions of these plug-ins even though I'm on a Mac.

Nice discovery, hopefully BazilleFX is not so hard on the CPU. :P

Waiting for that audio in Diva too...

We'll eventually get there :)

Our main agenda currently is stability. Over the past few years we've seen a slow decline in overall stability that affects our plug-ins, and possibly the whole industry:

- operating systems become more restrictive in what executables are allowed to do. This leads to erratic behaviour if e.g. file access to a certain directory is required

- hosts more and more deploy multiprocessing, such that the same plug-in might be opened on different processors at the same time, or different calls into a plug-in curiously happen simultaneously, all of which plug-in APIs were never laid out to handle. This can lead to all sorts of erratic behaviour.

- new plug-in APIs promise to be laid out for this, but curiously cause more trouble than they actually resolve.

- hosts deploy sandboxing, manipulate how plug-ins communicate with operating systems and do all kinds of fancy stuff they weren't doing back then.

- plug-ins do fancy stuff too, such as use multithreading

When we started cleaning up left over niggles in November, I thought we had about 5-10 bugs that need to be fixed to meet those shifts. Seven months later I have fixed more than a 100 "bugs" that used to be fine code 5 years ago, but nowadays may lead to crashes or unexpected behaviour. It's been a depressing time, there's always another crash bug lurking somewhere.

This is why we have not deployed many new features or general improvements, and why for instance the new GUI resizing code matures slowly. It's also why we haven't bothered with audio input for synths.

However, the time will come when Michael - or anybody - can't crash our stuff anymore, when even switching sample rate during playback with lots of host automation won't bring Logic down. Once that time has come, audio input will be on the top of our list.

- Urs

Must be incredible frustrating to deal with all the platform changes. :scared:

Urs wrote:We'll eventually get there :)

Our main agenda currently is stability. Over the past few years we've seen a slow decline in overall stability that affects our plug-ins, and possibly the whole industry:

- operating systems become more restrictive in what executables are allowed to do. This leads to erratic behaviour if e.g. file access to a certain directory is required

- hosts more and more deploy multiprocessing, such that the same plug-in might be opened on different processors at the same time, or different calls into a plug-in curiously happen simultaneously, all of which plug-in APIs were never laid out to handle. This can lead to all sorts of erratic behaviour.

- new plug-in APIs promise to be laid out for this, but curiously cause more trouble than they actually resolve.

- hosts deploy sandboxing, manipulate how plug-ins communicate with operating systems and do all kinds of fancy stuff they weren't doing back then.

- plug-ins do fancy stuff too, such as use multithreading

When we started cleaning up left over niggles in November, I thought we had about 5-10 bugs that need to be fixed to meet those shifts. Seven months later I have fixed more than a 100 "bugs" that used to be fine code 5 years ago, but nowadays may lead to crashes or unexpected behaviour. It's been a depressing time, there's always another crash bug lurking somewhere.

This is why we have not deployed many new features or general improvements, and why for instance the new GUI resizing code matures slowly. It's also why we haven't bothered with audio input for synths.

However, the time will come when Michael - or anybody - can't crash our stuff anymore, when even switching sample rate during playback with lots of host automation won't bring Logic down. Once that time has come, audio input will be on the top of our list.

- Urs
And it's absolutely appreciated. When I started around 1998, software, especially on the PC side was just a mess. Or maybe the hardware, firmware, drivers... It took me years to finally have a system which didn't need regular maintenance just to keep working.

When I started buying third party software, my first big spending was UHBIK. Don't know why, but the GUIs make me happy :)

I've never had stability issues and overall, I think things have never been as reliable as they are right now.

I had the strange issue, though, that in Logic, after using some UHBIKs for a while, suddenly parameter changes wouldn't cause any changes in sound anymore. I never found a pattern, so I didn't report the issue. But it does pop up sometimes.

Seeing that I won't part with them, I really appreciate any effort you invest which might fix this fringe behavior along the way and keep my investment future-proof. And while waiting for UHBIK additions, I discovered my love for your synthesizers, so no complaints from me.
..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

Well I updated Bazille to the latest version and it now won't let me run any audio through the VST version :(

That's kind of a bummer! I hope U-he fixes this in upcoming patches.

Return to “u-he”