Linux public beta (4408)

Official support for: u-he.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

and here it is floated:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

f0recast wrote:
Subarumannen wrote:
glokraw wrote:@ Subarumannen: Today falkTX announced major changes affecting linux plugins.
May not be related, but good to keep in mind.

https://www.linuxmusicians.com/viewtopi ... 24&t=17814
Yes, falktx is removing the JUCE library from Carla, due to which its current versions do not have vst3 support anymore. But those changes are only affecting Carla and should not have any influence on other plugin hosts.
Subarumannen wrote: Thanks for the link. Interesting but I guess not related since nether Ardour or Reaper gets Repro betas picked up.
I can confirm this. I also still have an Ubuntu 14.04 with kxstudio and I can't load Repro-5 into anything else than Bitwig (1.3.16, I don't have 2.x yet). I tried with Ardour, (linux-native) Reaper and Renoise, no luck.
So I did some tests on another machine that is running an up-to-date Arch Linux: I successfully could load Repro-5 into Ardour, (linux-native) Reaper, and Renoise on there.
I would speculate (as a non-developer), that recent versions of the vst libraries may require a more recent version of some low level library that is simply too old on 14.04, and the vst support in my not-so-current Bitwig still works with these old ones.

btw with each host that I could load Repro-5 into (except in Bitwig 1.3 on 14.04) I experienced the bug reported by David Else, where the prefs hang after shrinking the GUI. Changing other settings doesn't provoke the bug. I managed to reset the GUI by unloading the plugin and manually editing Support/com.u-he.Repro-5.Preferences.txt, there changing the value for DefaultUISize back to 100%.
Big thanks for confirming the issue. I have tried Repro-5 on my work laptop and it sure is loading and making great sounds. My kxstudio 14.04 is my clean and dedicated gig laptop so it is unfortunate that it doesn't run. I don't have Bitwig but now I can at least let FalkTX know that this is a problem not only on my box. I might have to switch to Debian or Ubuntu with kxrepos to get a more modern system if this U-he change is continuing causing me trouble.

/Anders

FWIW, I didn't have any problem using Repro-5 with Ardour on Arch Linux.

Did you guys contact the reaper developpers?

abique wrote:Did you guys contact the reaper developpers?
It only happens with Repro-5 beta, and does not happen on the other u-he Linux VSTi I have used, so I concluded it must be a Repro-5 bug.

It does not happen on any bridged Wine VST or VSTi using LinVST either in Reaper.

I have linked this thread on the Reaper Linux thread in case any of those guys have any input.

abique wrote:Did you guys contact the reaper developpers?
If I am one of the guys, I did only conclude that the newest Beta do not run in Kxstudio 14.04 regardless of using Ardour, Carla or Reaper. I have contacted Carla dev and Ardour devs to check if something can be done. As stated before, All other U-he stuff is fine.
Does the Beta contain a workaround for the dialog issue that had to be script-patched before ?

Could that workaround be part of the problem ?

Hello. I wasn't aware there were comments here on Repro-5 Linux version. I'd just like to chime in this comment about everything's working fine in Linux Mint 18 (based on Ubuntu 16.04).

With some details:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 4#p6928424

For ununtu 14.04 users, my Mint18 working with Repro-5
and linux reaper, has

xorg 1:7.7+13ubuntu3
xserver-xorg-video-nouveau 1:1.0.12-1build2

and
libegl1-mesa
libegl1-mesa-drivers
libgl1-mesa-dev
libgl1-mesa-dri
libgl1-mesa-glx
libglapi-mesa
libgles2-mesa

all at version 17.0.7-0ubuntu0.16.04.2

Check what you have available in synaptic.

It works also in Mixbus 4.2x, but the plugin scaling larger
doesn't fully draw the synth horizontally
and the raise/lower plugin window widgets don't operate.

In a 1.3.15 Bitwig demo, it scales and raises/lowers OK,
but at scales under 100%, the prefs panel locks up the gui,
until a lower/raise operation resets the gui.
Cheers

glokraw wrote:For ununtu 14.04 users, my Mint18 working with Repro-5
and linux reaper, has

xorg 1:7.7+13ubuntu3
xserver-xorg-video-nouveau 1:1.0.12-1build2

and
libegl1-mesa
libegl1-mesa-drivers
libgl1-mesa-dev
libgl1-mesa-dri
libgl1-mesa-glx
libglapi-mesa
libgles2-mesa

all at version 17.0.7-0ubuntu0.16.04.2

Check what you have available in synaptic.

It works also in Mixbus 4.2x, but the plugin scaling larger
doesn't fully draw the synth horizontally
and the raise/lower plugin window widgets don't operate.

In a 1.3.15 Bitwig demo, it scales and raises/lowers OK,
but at scales under 100%, the prefs panel locks up the gui,
until a lower/raise operation resets the gui.
Cheers
kxstudio 14.04

xorg 1:7.7+1ubuntu8.1
xserver-xorg-video-nouveau 1:1.0.10-1ubuntu2

and
libegl1-mesa
libegl1-mesa-drivers
libgl1-mesa-dev
libgl1-mesa-dri
libgl1-mesa-glx
libglapi-mesa
libgles2-mesa

all at version 10.1.3-0ubuntu0.6

/Anders

On my Linux Mint 18, of which it's very much a stock install, and on which Repro-5 works fine, scaling included, the mesa libs are:

10.1.3-0ubuntu0.4

The libglu1-mesa for specific architectures are:

9.0.0-2

libopenvg1-mesa:amd64, libgl1-mesa-dri:amd64 and libgl1-mesa-dri:i386 are:

10.1.0-4ubuntu5

And finally mesa-utils is:

8.1.0-2

Cheers.

mevla wrote:On my Linux Mint 18, of which it's very much a stock install, and on which Repro-5 works fine, scaling included, the mesa libs are:

10.1.3-0ubuntu0.4

The libglu1-mesa for specific architectures are:

9.0.0-2

libopenvg1-mesa:amd64, libgl1-mesa-dri:amd64 and libgl1-mesa-dri:i386 are:

10.1.0-4ubuntu5

And finally mesa-utils is:

8.1.0-2

Cheers.
I get that anything newer than 14.04 would work. But since the rest of the U-he suite and Pianoteq and everything else is running just fine, a forced upgrade seems harsh. What I would like to know is whether or not this is something that will be addressed to make Repro1/5 and presumably upcoming Zebra updates less dependent on gcc ABI or lib versions just like all the other plugins that works well in 14.04 and above? or not.

I know there has been suggestions to include some libs in the plugin bundle to make the plugin more self contained and thus not rely too much on the under laying system, (the way Ardour and plugins often are composed) but I think that was not an option for some reason.

/Anders

David Else wrote:and here it is floated:
Does it change at all when you dock and undock the plugin?
Cheers

Subarumannen wrote: everything else is running just fine, a forced upgrade seems harsh. What I would like to know is whether or not this is something that will be addressed to make Repro1/5 and presumably upcoming Zebra updates less dependent on gcc ABI or lib versions just like all the other plugins that works well in 14.04 and above? or not.
/Anders
I'd leave your system intact, and put a newer distro on
an external drive. A case is $25, and an extra drive can be free,
or $50 for a low rent SSD, and recycle spinner drives in between somewhere.
You can torture the new setup safely, and it's fun :hihi:
The devs should be back from the pub-crawl on tuesday, unless it snows :wink:
Cheers

glokraw wrote:
David Else wrote:and here it is floated:
Does it change at all when you dock and undock the plugin?
Cheers
No.

Was able to try the linux version on my computer too. For me the scaling is also little bit different from other u-he plugins but I can ajust it using a different size inside the plugin. Nothing is missing here.

The sound is incredible good, very special synth. The tonal character is very different from the others.

Most annoying thing for me is the preset browser. I don't know if comments to this should go to the other browser thread. I tested also the windows version just to get a clue how it should work.

But in the linux version I cannot search. I get a small window different from the windows version where you type in the value directly. but after pressing enter nothing happens. When I click inside the main window again I just get another box.

Also renaming does not work well. Instead of getting the actual text displayed, I get a empty text field. So I have to enter the full name and cannot add just "V 2" or something like this.

So I think the text input thing needs some fixing.

I'm using debian 9 with gnome 3. latest versions.

Return to “u-he”