Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR

Linux public beta (4408)

krans
KVRer
 
17 posts since 10 Aug, 2017

Postby krans; Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:13 am Re: Linux public beta (4408)

For anyone using Debian 9, with the (too) old xcb-utils:
The lovely and helpful stevepusser over at Debian forums actually built a 0.4.0 deb, which installs and runs perfectly. Amazing!

You can find it here: https://software.opensuse.org//download ... bxcb-util1

With this, I can now run the 6857 builds.
In Carla they work ok, with resizing and so, but a noticeable lag (even though it feels like Zebra lags less than Repro).
In Qtractor, which is where I do stuff, they all appear as grey boxes.
But it seems Qtractor is a lost case anyway, so I guess I'll stick to 6640 no matter what. :(

Zebra 2.8 is really nice, by the way. I've only been using the old Zebra2 before, and the GUI improvements are great!
Subarumannen
KVRist
 
69 posts since 5 Nov, 2011

Postby Subarumannen; Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:41 am Re: Linux public beta (4408)

krans wrote:For anyone using Debian 9, with the (too) old xcb-utils:
The lovely and helpful stevepusser over at Debian forums actually built a 0.4.0 deb, which installs and runs perfectly. Amazing!

You can find it here: https://software.opensuse.org//download ... bxcb-util1

With this, I can now run the 6857 builds.
In Carla they work ok, with resizing and so, but a noticeable lag (even though it feels like Zebra lags less than Repro).
In Qtractor, which is where I do stuff, they all appear as grey boxes.
But it seems Qtractor is a lost case anyway, so I guess I'll stick to 6640 no matter what. :(

Zebra 2.8 is really nice, by the way. I've only been using the old Zebra2 before, and the GUI improvements are great!

Really nice workaround.
I wonder if this package also works in Ubuntu 14.04

Maybe something falktx can include in kxstudio until the official iso is remade based on a more recent ubuntu/debian

I still think this is a workaround though

/Anders
kapsap
KVRer
 
6 posts since 9 Oct, 2017

Postby kapsap; Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:10 am Re: Linux public beta (4408)

So here's what I get for Repro 6857 on Fedora 27/PlanetCCRMA:

Ardour 5.12 and Mixbus 32C 4.3.19:
Only VST2 plugin found. Synth UI sometimes usable. Preset browser unusable, takes several seconds to respond on any interaction. => Total result: unusable

Carla:
Only VST2 version found, everything works fine. But Repro 5 produces lots of xruns.

Is this the expected behaviour with build 6857?
Subarumannen
KVRist
 
69 posts since 5 Nov, 2011

Postby Subarumannen; Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:23 am Re: Linux public beta (4408)

kapsap wrote:So here's what I get for Repro 6857 on Fedora 27/PlanetCCRMA:

Ardour 5.12 and Mixbus 32C 4.3.19:
Only VST2 plugin found. Synth UI sometimes usable. Preset browser unusable, takes several seconds to respond on any interaction. => Total result: unusable

Carla:
Only VST2 version found, everything works fine. But Repro 5 produces lots of xruns.

Is this the expected behaviour with build 6857?

Maybe you need to build your own carefully matching xcb-utils lib just like Debian and Older Ubuntus?

Seems to be the best workaround for the real cause

/Anders

I just got an idea. Maybe we could just collect the matching xcb-utils for all platforms so everyone can use the latest plugins... Could this be extended even further to be included in the binary... somehow?
:wink:
glokraw
KVRAF
 
6212 posts since 6 Oct, 2004

Postby glokraw; Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:22 pm Re: Linux public beta (4408)

Linux Audio Conference 2018

http://lac.linuxaudio.org/2018/

will be close to this hotel

http://www.cataloniaberlinmitte.com/

Who will dominate, the brain trust, or the party animals? :hyper:
User avatar
David Else
KVRist
 
414 posts since 9 Nov, 2004

Postby David Else; Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:41 am Re: Linux public beta (4408)

Things have gone very quiet, can we expect a new build in the not too distant future? :love:
ejgallego
KVRist
 
123 posts since 8 Mar, 2017

Postby ejgallego; Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:51 pm Re: Linux public beta (4408)

I'd be indeed great if we could have the same build as in beta 1 [where the UI was working well, but for the preset browser] but with the final release, at least as at workaround. Thanks!
glokraw
KVRAF
 
6212 posts since 6 Oct, 2004

Postby glokraw; Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:28 am Re: Linux public beta (4408)

I think the quiet is indicative of how great the task is,
and thusly how it will improve linux audio going forward.
Years ago, complex gui's were not a big issue, because
almost nobody was making linux audio apps requiring them.

But when Rui Capela sorted out the linux scanning of
shell vsts holding multiple plugins*, like Zebra2, there was light
at the end of the tunnel, and the solutions for presenting
such complex gui's at that time, will be replaced by even
better ones. I'm sure it's noiser at the pub, after
the overtime hours win out, and R&R breaks are
finally needed. :party: well deserved :party:

* I don't remember if Bitwig was scanning shell vsts at the time
the Zebra2 port was released, it seems to me that qtractor was the first linux daw to achieve and maintain success in that area,
but i'm not a historian.
Cheers
abique
KVRian
 
593 posts since 26 May, 2013, from Berlin

Postby abique; Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:00 am Re: Linux public beta (4408)

Hi,
Don't worry guys, builds are coming by the end of the week.
I'm just quite busy these days :)
Have all a nice week,
Alex
ejgallego
KVRist
 
123 posts since 8 Mar, 2017

Postby ejgallego; Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:34 am Re: Linux public beta (4408)

Great to hear, thanks abique! Have a nice week too and good luck with the busy schedule!
vincenzoml
KVRer
 
14 posts since 26 Feb, 2014

Postby vincenzoml; Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:35 am Re: Linux public beta (4408)

Where can I see the latest builds? Are these always in the first post of the thread?

Thanks for the good work (and going to buy diva as soon as I try the latest build and see it working well in my linux system)
mclstr
KVRist
 
85 posts since 13 Dec, 2016, from Tucson, AZ, USA

Postby mclstr; Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:30 am Re: Linux public beta (4408)

vincenzoml wrote:Where can I see the latest builds? Are these always in the first post of the thread?...


They are scattered about in various posts in the last few weeks of this thread.
I just downloaded and tried them all to see which worked best for me.
Everyone has a preferred build depending on which DAW and Linux distro version that they use.
Previous

Moderator: u-he Mods

Return to u-he