Linux public beta (4408)

Official support for: u-he.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just finished to play a bit with Diva-6857 vst3 in bitwig 2.3 beta / ubuntu 17.10. It seems to work just fine except for the menus. Abique: is that the latest build? I'm totally lost in the thread. Also: do you know wheter the menus problem can be fixed / you can fix that? I'm sorry if this has been asked a plethora of times but the thread is huge.

Regarding the menu, I bet you are using gnome on wayland.
Can you check that? If so then it is a gnome bug, if you try with kde on wayland it works.

Hi Abique,

thanks for replying. I uninstalled Xwayland to be on the safe side and tested under fluxbox. Menus are not visible! Also they are not visible under gnome3/xorg. Not only the menus, but also the save preset dialog does not appear, and I can't change any value in the plugin settings. I'd be glad to help in any way debugging this issue.

vincenzoml wrote:Hi Abique,

thanks for replying. I uninstalled Xwayland to be on the safe side and tested under fluxbox. Menus are not visible! Also they are not visible under gnome3/xorg. Not only the menus, but also the save preset dialog does not appear, and I can't change any value in the plugin settings. I'd be glad to help in any way debugging this issue.
I tested one of the new plugins on a fresh Debian 9.x stable with Gnome and could not change preferences or register it seemed. FWIW

Subarumannen, can you see menus e.g. for selecting modules or modulations?

I tried installing ubuntu 16.04, where the menus are visible. But it has other bugs that make some click and log a message (retire_capture_urb) and I won't be able to use this live. So my problem stands at the moment and there's no workaround for me.

I seem to remember one of the Repro-5 betas working OK on my setup, but haven't had much luck finding it again.
All the Repro beta tarballs lately have been missing Repro-5, including the U-He website and the first post in this thread.

Are there any Repro-5 betas around anymore and is there any plans in the works for a new beta?

2th@mcistr I have all the beta tarballs around I believe, ping me if you want a particular one [they should in the thread thou]

The downside of the last beta "that worked" is that the CPU use is higher and also it is lacking all the new presets [which if imported will make Repro5 complain loudly]

Speaking of way more serious bugs, here is one that I have in 4408 and latest.

I've been testing diva quite extensively and noted the following, that I already had saw in bazille but had eventually forgotten about. Cpu consumption stays considerably low and constant with very few jitter for a long time. Then suddenly, Diva starts taking a lot more cpu and overruns happen. Then after a while it passes away. Setting a higher latency helps but it's really really a pity. I managed to test it on windows on a machine equal to mine. I didn't observe this behaviour. But latency there was so messy that I can't really tell if it's a linux only bug.

Can anyone test on their machines? 5-10 minutes should suffice.

Abique: for the menus missing problems I tried to run

".u-he/Diva/dialog.64 menu test"

after finding out that executable is responsible for menus and dialogs. It crashes with SIGABRT. Here is the last part of the ltrace log.

https://pastebin.com/f7ALRf23

ejgallego wrote:2th@mcistr I have all the beta tarballs around I believe, ping me if you want a particular one...
Thanks. I have the old one with the modern preset incompatibility problems and the one I'm running that crashes if I try to open the GUI.

I'm currently doing without the GUI and using CC from my midi controller to change parameters as well as the preset editor in the DAW for now and saving in the DAW. Works OK, but not very intuitive.

I want to make sure any presets I create are going to sound the same when we do get a newer version.

vincenzoml wrote:Subarumannen, can you see menus e.g. for selecting modules or modulations?
Hi !

I am not able to check that currently, will be able to check on Monday

Sorry !

/Subarumannen

Finally tested Repro 6857 in BitWig 2.3 [beta 2]. The VST 2 version feels way more usable, but a bit laggy sometimes. I'd dare to say that VST 3 feels great! Thanks abique! VST 2 version not usable in Ardour thou.

No menus however [see below] also the preset browser doesn't seem to react, tags are not visible, etc... it is not usable at all.
vincenzoml wrote:Abique: for the menus missing problems I tried to run

".u-he/Diva/dialog.64 menu test"

after finding out that executable is responsible for menus and dialogs. It crashes with SIGABRT.
Same here, no menus in any U-HE synth due to this abort. This is the gdb backtrace:

Code: Select all

Program received signal SIGABRT, Aborted.
__GI_raise (sig=sig@entry=6) at ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/raise.c:58
58	../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/raise.c: No existe el archivo o el directorio.
(gdb) bt
#0  0x00007ffff6bc677f in __GI_raise (sig=sig@entry=6) at ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/raise.c:58
#1  0x00007ffff6bc837a in __GI_abort () at abort.c:89
#2  0x00007fffee67f0b8 in  () at /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgcc_s.so.1
#3  0x00007fffee683599 in __gcc_personality_v0 () at /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgcc_s.so.1
#4  0x000055555557f3b3 in  ()
#5  0x000055555557fbcf in  ()
#6  0x0000555555569129 in __cxa_throw ()
#7  0x00007ffff26167a6 in  () at /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libmirclient.so.9
#8  0x00007ffff26198ff in  () at /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libmirclient.so.9
#9  0x00007ffff25d7a70 in  () at /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libmirclient.so.9
#10 0x00007ffff25e1b09 in mir::client::DefaultConnectionConfiguration::the_rpc_channel() ()
    at /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libmirclient.so.9
#11 0x00007ffff25d21a9 in mir_connect () at /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libmirclient.so.9
#12 0x00007ffff25d34db in mir_connect_sync () at /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libmirclient.so.9
#13 0x00007ffff6929ff7 in  () at /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgdk-3.so.0
#14 0x00007ffff68bf235 in gdk_display_manager_open_display () at /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgdk-3.so.0
#15 0x00007ffff76ece1a in gtk_init_check () at /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgtk-3.so.0
#16 0x00007ffff76ece49 in gtk_init () at /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgtk-3.so.0
#17 0x0000555555567e80 in  ()
#18 0x00007ffff6bb13f1 in __libc_start_main (main=
    0x555555566990, argc=3, argv=0x7fffffffdaf8, init=<optimized out>, fini=<optimized out>, rtld_fini=<optimized out>, stack_end=0x7fffffffdae8) at ../csu/libc-start.c:291
#19 0x00005555555668aa in _start ()
Let me know if I can be of any help.

vincenzoml wrote:
Hi,I've got Diva demo, a 3.x version, and from the Ingo Weidner presets folder,
I'm using a recent linux reaper 5.71-pre15 from landoleet to host diva,
(and reaper has excellent cpu options for managing multiple cores/threads)
I'll use IW Jump Brass preset in 'great' mode, then divine mode
to see if cpu use increases the reading shown in qjackctl.
( I also have a browser, file manager, and text editor running)
At Diva startup
qjackctl idles at 1.9%
great mode 1 sustained note 7% divine mode 8%
great mode sustained 6 note chord 36% divine mode 38%
...no change after 10 and then 20 minutes (except now I remember how
great Diva sounds :hihi: )

The menus and gui zoom work fine in lxde window manager, I'm using
nvidia proprietary driver, pcie nvidia graphics card,
in pclinuxos distro, with kernel 4.12 SMP, i7 2600 cpu
@ 3000-3800 MHz. Try installing lxde and openbox,
reboot, logout, and choose lxde for that session. Hope it works.

Also, it's good to mention you make a purchase, as it let's the boss
know we are confident in the current state of developement, and provides
their team a human frame of reference, beyond just tracking statistics.
Cheers

glokraw wrote:
vincenzoml wrote:
Hi,I've got Diva demo, a 3.x version, and from the Ingo Weidner presets folder,
I'm using a recent linux reaper 5.71-pre15 from landoleet to host diva,
(and reaper has excellent cpu options for managing multiple cores/threads)
I'll use IW Jump Brass preset in 'great' mode, then divine mode
to see if cpu use increases the reading shown in qjackctl.
( I also have a browser, file manager, and text editor running)
At Diva startup
qjackctl idles at 1.9%
great mode 1 sustained note 7% divine mode 8%
great mode sustained 6 note chord 36% divine mode 38%
...no change after 10 and then 20 minutes (except now I remember how
great Diva sounds :hihi: )

The menus and gui zoom work fine in lxde window manager, I'm using
nvidia proprietary driver, pcie nvidia graphics card,
in pclinuxos distro, with kernel 4.12 SMP, i7 2600 cpu
@ 3000-3800 MHz. Try installing lxde and openbox,
reboot, logout, and choose lxde for that session. Hope it works.

Also, it's good to mention you make a purchase, as it let's the boss
know we are confident in the current state of developement, and provides
their team a human frame of reference, beyond just tracking statistics.
Cheers
As far as i know, U-he has no easy way to track if a customer is running all Linux or all Windows or any other blend. The recent poll may have shown the Linux user base ? I do not remember the questions asked.

/Subarumannen

Return to “u-he”