Sidechaining: Calling the community for help!

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My initial post on Cubase also works on Cubase Pro 8

Sidechaining with Presswerk in Ardour 4.

You need two tracks, one with the sidechain signal and another one with the signal which will be compressed.

Add a stereo bus and insert the Presswerk plugin.

Add to more inputs to the bus track and route the input tracks accordingly. Track inputs 3 and 4 are for the sidechain signal.

You can also use sends for the sidechain signal.

Thanks for sharing :)
Sascha Eversmeier
drummer of The Board
software dev in the studio-speaker biz | former plugin creator [u-he, samplitude & digitalfishphones]

Something most synths do not have is multichannel i/o. Do your synths have that Urs?

Drum machines and samplers have it, but synthesizer makers seem to be sleeping on this.

To anyone who uses more than just two channels per track (sidechainers and routing experts) should understand why this is a no brainer feature.

Also tabbed instances of the same synth would be great, for users who want to make a drum machine ensemble out of a bunch of say, Zebra3's

the thread inspired my response, otherwise apologies for the digression.

Side Chaining in Reason 10 (And 9.5)
SideChain 1.jpg
SideChain 2.jpg
Side Chain 3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Just a side note; the demo noise from Presswerk, very effective. Extremely distracting, and made that setup harder to do. I know that is the point. Good looking product, it might have to get bumped up on my priority list. ;)

FL Studio 12

1. Select the channel you want to use for the side-chain signal.
2. Right-click the arrow on the channel that you want to sidechain, then click sidechain to this track.
3. Insert Presswerk in the mixer channel you want to compress.
4. Open Presswerk, click the gear on the wrapper, then processing.
5. Rightclick box for connection 2 and choose the track that's carrying the sc.
6. In Presswerk, turn the knob for sc input to ext.

uhe sc2.png
uhe sc1.png
uhe sc3.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I don't know if this has been mentioned already (as i didn't read the whole thread), but side-chaining can also by done with midi instead of audio, and in fact this has some advantages / special applications.

So for example, in a U-he synth i would want the possibility to have a midi note come in on a discrete midi channel (that doesn't trigger or in any way affect the main sound) and use that midi to trigger, for example, an envelope or some other modulation.

How I do it in Qtractor:

1/ Make outputs for the tracks you want sidechained, so they don't go straight to master out.
When dealing with audio tracks, you can send plenty of tracks to the same output.
When dealing with midi, simply right click the track on the mixer and choose Audio -> Dedicated.

2/ Make a new audio input with 4 channels.

3/ Place an instance of Presswerk on this 4 channel input.

4/ Use Jack to route the outputs you made in point 1 to this 4 channel input.
The tracks you want ducked should go to input 1 and 2, the kick or whatever you use to sidechain should go to input 3 and 4.

5/ You need to make an audio track with this 4 channel input set as input. Simply to route the sound to master out. This track will contain the fresh and ready sidechained sound.

There is a catch to this method:
I have not found a way of sidechaining without actually playing the sound. Exporting leaves the track we made in point 5 empty and silent. Otherwise it works really quite well.

MOTU Digital Performer
1: Insert Presswerk on the track that will be compressed
2: Create a send on the track you want to be the sidechain
3: Select the buss in Presswer's sidechain input dropdown
4: Set Presswerks's SIDECHAIN "Int : Ext" dial fully clockwise to use external sidechain only
Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 6.47.49 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 6.53.42 PM.jpg
preww.jpg

Return to “u-he”