'Future Retro Beats' for Hive. Intro price ENDS tonight.

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The soundset now has a total of 102 patches, and the update email has been sent to all users. Definitely let me know if by chance you don't get the email.

Shiek927 wrote:
Xenos wrote:
Shiek927 wrote:Haha, awesome Xenos! it definitely has a very vintage funky sound to it, but Hive's modern power is still bursting through. We can definitely add Hip-Hop/Trap/RnB to the list that this "EDM" synth can do :).

What honestly gets my attention the most is the quality behind the drums and percussion. This is my personal opinion, but synths that are as high-quality as they are in this day and age, especially as good as Hive, make drum-synths pretty much redundant. Those drums were fantastic and honestly my favorite part :D.

Well done!
Thanks a lot for the input :). Really glad to hear confirmation that the set has the vibe I intended. Drums? I don't have any drums in F.R.B., so I assume you're talking about the factory patches? Once I hit 100 synth patches, we could then add some drums as included bonus content. What kind of drums would you like me to put in here? While I normally don't include drum patches in patch banks, they are among my favorite sounds to create.
BTW, I definitely hear you loud and clear about some of the drum synths out there. Pure VA synthesis for drum machines is quite dated. Nowadays, a good drum synth combines Physical Modeling, FM synthesis, and other niche synthesis elements. Image-Line Drumaxx is one of my personal favorites - very heavy in physical modeling, which gives sounds that would be impossible on Hive.

@hihu: How long do you need? I'm not particularly picky about the intro-price period, as most of my income comes from 3rd-party work. The online store is more of a creative outlet and supplemental part-time job. It's here to stay, though, and the 'to-do' list for future releases is growing faster than I have time to release them - A.N.A., a hip hop Z3ta bank, Largo, Helix, CS-80V, more Massive stuff, an EDM Hive bank, etc, etc... this is gonna be a fun year. :D
There are claps, cymbals, kicks and snares, etc, on the sound-demo. I may have assumed those were part of the actual soundset!

It would be swell if you could make drums though! drums that fit the vintage funky-feeling of the sound-set would naturally fit. Drums are very important so I'm curious to see how Hive performs in that area, especially in this groovy style.
Ahhh, now I understand :). Unless otherwise stated, any drums on my product demos will be external loops or samples, as I don't normally include drum patches in commercial soundsets. I think you have a really good idea, though. Maybe I should make a collection of drums with Hive, then post it on the Free Soundsets page.
VST PRESETS ---> http://xenossoundworks.com
Bazille, NI Massive, Z3ta, PPG Wave, TAL-J8, RePro, Diva, Spire and more

So finally bought your Soundset. Thank you very much.
Had a long day today. Hope I can look into this tomorrow.

Xenos.. Check the PM :D

Haha, I'm also happy to see these patches can work well with Electro Swing. I guess you really like that style now ^___^

Check out the new cover art :)...
http://static.kvraudio.com/i/b/u-he_hiv ... _beats.jpg

If you guys need good cover art for your products, album covers, etc, try contacting the folks at 123Creative.com. They do a really good job. Specgraphics.net is another good place for cover design.

Next commercial Hive release will be strictly for EDM. Had a play with the "Electronic Dance Music" folder last night, and there are still several missing elements I'd like to fill in. Want more chord stabs, smooth leads, more variety in the synth plucks, and we really need some dance-oriented risers/downers/hits. Already have several patches here which were originally going to be included in FRB, but didn't include those as I thought they would fit better in a dedicated dance/edm set.

Hello Xenos. Nice to hear that your will do another set.
I also think some of the leads in the dance music folder are really harsh. Some smoother presets would great.

Ooh, out of curiosity I checked out IL Drummax and I really like what I hear! I honestly didn't see much appeal in drum synths if your own synth sounds great enough, but the physical modelling in Drummax honestly sounds good!

Suddenly I want to check out a bunch of drum synths and see which one I like ^^.
Last edited by Shiek927 on Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hihu wrote:Hello Xenos. Nice to hear that your will do another set.
I also think some of the leads in the dance music folder are really harsh. Some smoother presets would great.
Hell yeah :). Personally, I think hardcore and industrial/hellectro leads are more technically interesting and varied, but they're not as usable for the softer, mainstream side of EDM. We got WAAYYY too many of those and not enough "normal" stuff. My commercial EDM set will take things in a much smoother, melodic and stable direction.

@Shiek927: Glad to help out :). I love Drumaxx. For extra "realism" in your drum patches, turn on the phase reset for the noise and adjust the knob to taste. Many of the factory sounds have the phase reset set to "off", which gives those drums a bit of an odd and unstable character.

Xenos wrote:
Hell yeah :). Personally, I think hardcore and industrial/hellectro leads are more technically interesting and varied, but they're not as usable for the softer, mainstream side of EDM. We got WAAYYY too many of those and not enough "normal" stuff. My commercial EDM set will take things in a much smoother, melodic and stable direction.

@Shiek927: Glad to help out :). I love Drumaxx. For extra "realism" in your drum patches, turn on the phase reset for the noise and adjust the knob to taste. Many of the factory sounds have the phase reset set to "off", which gives those drums a bit of an odd and unstable character.
In fairness, I think my disinterest in drum synths was born from Zebra2. Zebra can definitely pull off some very nice drums and percussion sounds, so I think I'm forgiven ^^;.

Shiek927 wrote:
Xenos wrote:

In fairness, I think my disinterest in drum synths was born from Zebra2. Zebra can definitely pull off some very nice drums and percussion sounds, so I think I'm forgiven ^^;.
Zebra is a definite drum synthesis powerhouse. I didn't even think of that before. Been working slowly on a collection of physical modeled fantasy instruments for Zebra. I'm really impressed with the ethnic percussion sounds that can be squeezed out of it.

Xenos wrote:Next commercial Hive release will be strictly for EDM. Had a play with the "Electronic Dance Music" folder last night, and there are still several missing elements I'd like to fill in. Want more chord stabs, smooth leads, more variety in the synth plucks, and we really need some dance-oriented risers/downers/hits. Already have several patches here which were originally going to be included in FRB, but didn't include those as I thought they would fit better in a dedicated dance/edm set.
Hits, huh? I wanna see if I can do the popular "Impact" hit from the jv-1080. Trust me: we've all heard it before ^^.

Shiek927 wrote:
Xenos wrote:Next commercial Hive release will be strictly for EDM. Had a play with the "Electronic Dance Music" folder last night, and there are still several missing elements I'd like to fill in. Want more chord stabs, smooth leads, more variety in the synth plucks, and we really need some dance-oriented risers/downers/hits. Already have several patches here which were originally going to be included in FRB, but didn't include those as I thought they would fit better in a dedicated dance/edm set.
Hits, huh? I wanna see if I can do the popular "Impact" hit from the jv-1080. Trust me: we've all heard it before ^^.
No problem :). I should be able to get it pretty close.

BTW, guys, intro price on Future Retro Beats gets changed to the regular price tomorrow night ($16.95). The EDM Hive bank is slowly taking shape, but I got other projects to finish first. That includes a Bazille bank of soundscapes, machines, synth sequences and atmospheric pads. The "FX and Weird" section in Hive's factory patches should give you a rough glimpse of the direction this Bazille set is going in (but Bazille, IMHO, is way better at those kinds of sounds).

Just wanted to say thank you for these cool sounds.
I picked it up during the entry price and I am very satisfied.

Looking forward to your next release.

Thx

Xenos wrote:
Shiek927 wrote:
No problem :). I should be able to get it pretty close.

BTW, guys, intro price on Future Retro Beats gets changed to the regular price tomorrow night ($16.95). The EDM Hive bank is slowly taking shape, but I got other projects to finish first. That includes a Bazille bank of soundscapes, machines, synth sequences and atmospheric pads. The "FX and Weird" section in Hive's factory patches should give you a rough glimpse of the direction this Bazille set is going in (but Bazille, IMHO, is way better at those kinds of sounds).
If you're curious, here is the 'Impact' sound I was talking about (http://www.synthmania.com/Roland%20JV-2 ... %20You.mp3) ^^.

I know this isn't quite dance-oriented but...could you do these keys? (http://www.synthmania.com/Roland%20JV-2 ... es%201.mp3)

Of course, as much as I enjoy those old Roland synth modules, I'd never personally want a perfect replication or I'd just go out and buy the real thing. I still ultimately what to sound like 2015, not 1994 ^^. I'm happily surprised to see I wasn't the only one thought Hive sounded like them.

It's actually wonderful to see a bank for Bazille! Hive has completely won me over, but there isn't a whole lot of love for Bazille. Surprising considering there was actually a lot of hype about it when it was just coming out. It's definitely very unique to say the least. It's definitely a good synth for 'weird' and ambient type music.

Oh, and I really like the Electro Swing Brass patch you made ^^.

Return to “u-he”