The Hive Hexagon Thread

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

Hi all,

It's pretty clear now - we'll initially release Hive with only the FX-page and Arp/Sequencer in the Central Hexagon. As I said elsewhere, time and energy hasn't permitted me to come up with anything fancy, I didn't even have that irresistible idea that I hoped I would have.

So here's a thread. What would you like to see in Hive in the Central Hexagon?

Some hints:

Oscilloscope is a valid request, but nothing we find suitable for Hive beyond being eye candy. It could still be something giving visual cues (modulations, realtime display of envelopes when tweaking those).

It could also be something for quick sound design. XY controls come to mind. Possibly with degrees of randomization on each axis. Or some sort of patch breeding ground. Even patch morphing if someone can explain how to morph parameters that are not continuous (filter types etc.)

Or anything. Anything really, that doesn't make Hive more complicated. To the contrary, we'd prefer ideas that make Hive's workflow even quicker. That includes the option to do nothing, if that is what it takes.

We'll collect the best ideas and make it a poll. Non-binding of course, but we'll see...

Go!

My choice? The 3 MIDI performance sources most likely to be missing from people's rigs: Aftertouch, Breath and Expression.

x/y pad and oscilloscope selectable via a tab would be cool imho.

randomisation per click on a button for the left source, all parameters mapped to x

randomisation per click on a button for the right source, all parameters mapped to y

then move the x/y until something useful tourns out and save as a patch :)

3D spectrum showing each of the oscillators overlaid in a different color (pre and post fx as options)

Something similar to that Omnisphere Orb we could map the modulators to it then move the circle around the screen to control multiple ones at once. Maybe in the future make that controllable by a mobile touch screen. Moving the orb around to morph through presets selected in the circle would be great but I think you would have to have multiple Hive synths within a plugin.
It sounds like you are already giving that a great lot of thought Urs :)

Oscilloscope I like but I don't use them once I've changed a few settings and it goes all fuzzy and becomes just eye candy.

Something similar to that Omnisphere Orb.
It could also be something for quick sound design. XY controls come to mind. Possibly with degrees of randomization on each axis. Or some sort of patch breeding ground. Even patch morphing if someone can explain how to morph parameters that are not continuous (filter types etc.)
x/y pad and oscilloscope selectable via a tab would be cool imho.

randomisation per click on a button for the left source, all parameters mapped to x

randomisation per click on a button for the right source, all parameters mapped to y

then move the x/y until something useful tourns out and save as a patch :)
My thoughts exactly :D

What I hope is that Hive is taken as far as it can be without losing it's speed and 'reduced to the max' methodology. That means, as an example, looking at Sylenth and other similar synths to see what people always wanted out of them. Especially since, it's Sylenth's case, there seems to be virtually no support for it anymore.

I can't see Mod-mappers, XMF filters, MSEG's, or more of Zebra's 'advanced' features in Hive and I don't want too. There already is a Zebra. That said, if Hive can have limited 'modularity', that would only increase the wellspring of sounds even more without really changing it's speed. Something like the Omnisphere Orb was what I had in mind: rather than 4 seperate XY pads like in Z2, the pads can "wrap' themselves around each other in a sphere-shape, alongside randomization and other goodies.

If this cannot be done, than Macro controls like Massive, Serum, and Spire by the looks of it, would be nice. I feel that Hive would benefit from some amount of modularity and this wouldn't really lose it's speed.

Beyond the hexagon, are other ideas like FM and sync (which you guys say will happen :3), ring-mod, busing the FX like in Zebra, additional FX (vowel phasers, new distortion, etc) and filter-types, additional waveforms of course, and maybe free-draw LFO's and a comb filter.

The oscilloscope is not something I really feel would add much. It's really just eye-candy and I've honestly never made use of them thus far. I'd rather see some 'limited' modularity in Hive that will increase it's depth without compromising it's speed.
Last edited by Shiek927 on Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Urs wrote: What would you like to see in Hive in the Central Hexagon?
A version of the Angry Birds game called Angry Bees. :hihi:

Kaboom75 wrote:Something similar to that Omnisphere Orb we could map the modulators to it then move the circle around the screen to control multiple ones at once. Maybe in the future make that controllable by a mobile touch screen. Moving the orb around to morph through presets selected in the circle would be great but I think you would have to have multiple Hive synths within a plugin.
It sounds like you are already giving that a great lot of thought Urs :)

Oscilloscope I like but I don't use them once I've changed a few settings and it goes all fuzzy and becomes just eye candy.
+1

rsp
sound sculptist

Oscilloscope would be useful once FM and new waveforms are added. If these are going to be implemented in future updates, then an oscilloscope would make sense.

XY pad would be useful too

Oscilloscope in the background with a functional XY in the foreground

I don´t think that Hive would benefit from an osciloscope because you don´t really create waveforms (you choose them in the Osc section)... in Bazille it´s very handy to have the osciloscope because the OSC/signalFlow is much deeper and you want an optical feedback...

Since i use the Zebra with the Redux Skin that has the XY Pad in the center, i couldn´t imagine to work without it anymore. it gives you incredible fast control over multiple parameters and the results are always very "natural" dynamic/morphing sounds (in my opinion :clown: )...

+1 for XY-Pad with motion capture (record the movment of the XY Parameter in different time divisions e.g. 8/1, 4/1 or 1/1)
Last edited by operator on Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Everyone knows more than I do...

double post....
Everyone knows more than I do...

Urs wrote: It could also be something for quick sound design. XY controls come to mind. Possibly with degrees of randomization on each axis.
Talking of randomization, patch randomization could be nice, to help come up with new sounds, but a) you don't need an entire hexagon for it, and b) I've never come across patch randomization on any synth that actually works well.

Urs wrote:Even patch morphing if someone can explain how to morph parameters that are not continuous (filter types etc.)
The only way this will ever work well is if all parameters of a synth can be morphed or stepped through to achieve all the practical intervening steps required to make all smooth transitions possible. Filters would have to be able to smoothly morph into other filters, switched states would need crossfading over time.. I personally think it would be a fantastic evolution, but we might be a few CPU generations from creating such a system... ;)

The current way is to forego any switched states. There's still much that can be done with this, though it's not as exhaustive of course.

I would like something like Alchemy or Kore's XY variations pad rather than a traditional XY pad, you could even do it using hexagons instead of the 2 by 4 grid. So not full patch morphing but something more useful than just an XY, a way to save variations or subpatches of a patch and morph between those, while avoiding the need to morph non continuous params. You could also make it possible to record pathways through the variations (as you can with The Orb in Omnisphere) to create movement in a patch.

Actually to make this even more interesting, you could add a patch mutation feature too to help generate variations, each variation in a seperate hexagon in the honeycomb, maybe with a central hex that is the original patch and increasingly different variations going outwards from the centre, and people could morph between them and store the ones they like, or create more, as subpatches.

garryknight wrote:... I've never come across patch randomization on any synth that actually works well.
Good! (and not at all surprising)

Return to “u-he”