Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise

The Hive Hexagon Thread

Soarer
KVRian
 
564 posts since 19 Mar, 2004, from Copenhagen

Postby Soarer; Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:54 am Re: The Hive Hexagon Thread

Dunno but Spire has SawPWM...
Dasheesh
KVRAF
 
1854 posts since 22 Nov, 2012

Postby Dasheesh; Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:07 am Re: The Hive Hexagon Thread

All wave forms can be pulse modulated, but it struck me this morning that Hives oscillators COULD be single cycle waves files. That would explain a lot. :)
Dasheesh
KVRAF
 
1854 posts since 22 Nov, 2012

Postby Dasheesh; Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:11 am Re: The Hive Hexagon Thread

Since they are basic shapes I think it would be nice if they could at least sweep from triangle through saw but that might be more development then Urs wants to put into it. Everything you do is going to add cpu cycles and file space sooo....
Soarer
KVRian
 
564 posts since 19 Mar, 2004, from Copenhagen

Postby Soarer; Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:44 am Re: The Hive Hexagon Thread

Dasheesh wrote:All wave forms can be pulse modulated, but it struck me this morning that Hives oscillators COULD be single cycle waves files. That would explain a lot. :)

Why would they be wave (audio?) files?
Chapelle
KVRian
 
877 posts since 27 Dec, 2007

Postby Chapelle; Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:05 am Re: The Hive Hexagon Thread

Soarer wrote:Why would they be wave (audio?) files?

Because multisampled oscillators seem to be more CPU-efficient than DSP-generated ones. Urs explained Hive's oscillators in this thread (see section "What about the oscillators?"):
https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=427890
Dasheesh
KVRAF
 
1854 posts since 22 Nov, 2012

Postby Dasheesh; Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:17 pm Re: The Hive Hexagon Thread

Soarer wrote:
Dasheesh wrote:All wave forms can be pulse modulated, but it struck me this morning that Hives oscillators COULD be single cycle waves files. That would explain a lot. :)

Why would they be wave (audio?) files?



Just so you know, I'm guessing Spire does the same because they allow their preset designers to import custom samples. I have never bought a preset in my life, but they advertise new samples with their preset packs.
Dasheesh
KVRAF
 
1854 posts since 22 Nov, 2012

Postby Dasheesh; Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:24 pm Re: The Hive Hexagon Thread

I just had an epiphany, synthmaster allows for single cycle sample import that I make good use of. What if Hive allowed import of user single cycle waves?
Soarer
KVRian
 
564 posts since 19 Mar, 2004, from Copenhagen

Postby Soarer; Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:14 pm Re: The Hive Hexagon Thread

Thanks for the info. That was surprising!
I thought using samples was a bad idea since I think Hive and Spire sounds better than Omnisphere 2 but that must be a synth engine thing then.
Dasheesh
KVRAF
 
1854 posts since 22 Nov, 2012

Postby Dasheesh; Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:01 pm Re: The Hive Hexagon Thread

Soarer wrote:Thanks for the info. That was surprising!
I thought using samples was a bad idea since I think Hive and Spire sounds better than Omnisphere 2 but that must be a synth engine thing then.



Well don't quote me as fact yet. I am just taking a guess because they do advertise new samples with their preset packs.
recursive one
KVRAF
 
2930 posts since 7 Feb, 2013

Postby recursive one; Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:00 am Re: The Hive Hexagon Thread

Dasheesh wrote:Just so you know, I'm guessing Spire does the same because they allow their preset designers to import custom samples. I have never bought a preset in my life, but they advertise new samples with their preset packs.

For what I know, they sell the samples in addition to the presets. The samples are indtended to be loaded into a third party sampler, not into Spire (never bought any of these packs either, but this seems to be self-edivent from their descriptions). There was never any info about any sample loading or conversion tool for Spire.
I hate incomplete sentences because they ...
Dasheesh
KVRAF
 
1854 posts since 22 Nov, 2012

Postby Dasheesh; Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:24 am Re: The Hive Hexagon Thread

recursive one wrote:For what I know, they sell the samples in addition to the presets. The samples are indtended to be loaded into a third party sampler, not into Spire (never bought any of these packs either, but this seems to be self-edivent from their descriptions). There was never any info about any sample loading or conversion tool for Spire.



Ah, they said they wanted to implement user wave import a while back and I just assumed that what they did was limit wave importing to preset designers.
User avatar
clangorous
KVRist
 
131 posts since 12 Nov, 2013, from Charlotte, North Carolina

Postby clangorous; Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:03 pm Re: The Hive Hexagon Thread

I'm curious if others have found Hive to be a good compliment to Zebra. I like sound design and Hive seems to be an easy synth to use. The Poly and Bass patches are amazing to my ear, and the Drum patches are solid as well.

I did check out this Hive Hexagon thread and did not find this specific question discussed. I will say that the Intro to Hive videos outline some impressive features that make the workflow super simple. Not sure I can go wrong with a Zebra/Hive combination :D

As a Zebra user, what synth would you buy next? Appreciate any input on this decision!
aumordia
KVRist
 
242 posts since 16 Jun, 2015

Postby aumordia; Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:51 pm Re: The Hive Hexagon Thread

Zebra covers a lot of ground, everything except samples really. So you don't really "need" anything else, except for maybe something sample based if you want to go down that road.

Hive is fine synth though, there's nothing wrong with getting it "just for fun."
Makin' Music Great Again 8)
User avatar
clangorous
KVRist
 
131 posts since 12 Nov, 2013, from Charlotte, North Carolina

Postby clangorous; Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:30 pm Re: The Hive Hexagon Thread

aumordia wrote:Zebra covers a lot of ground, everything except samples really. So you don't really "need" anything else, except for maybe something sample based if you want to go down that road.

Hive is fine synth though, there's nothing wrong with getting it "just for fun."


Thanks aumordia for your feedback. Fun is what it is all about for me so yes.

As I'm playing around with the Hive demo I kinda feel like it could help me with Zebra. I tend to start with a module and build out patches. Hive feels like a more defined set of tools and I've never created a defined synth configuration in Zebra and then started patching. So it might give me a different way to think about creating sounds. That and maybe recreating Hive patches in Zebra although that would likely not get me as far since Zebra has so much to work with.

As usual I'm over thinking it and just focusing on it being a fun synth is probably an easier way to decide. Thank you for commenting.
aumordia
KVRist
 
242 posts since 16 Jun, 2015

Postby aumordia; Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:19 am Re: The Hive Hexagon Thread

The whole is always greater than the sum of the parts and "fun" is key. If you're grooving with Hive and you've got cash to burn I'd say go for it.

This sort of synthesis is underestimated for its capabilities. For instance, you can make a quite nice bell sound without any FM at all. Start with a sine wave, then layer in another sine wave up 2 octaves with lots of unison and HEAVY detune. Experiment with different waveforms and intervals, maybe working in the sub osc's as well. You can get some really interesting bell sounds this way that you might normally think would require FM, AM, or additive synthesis.

Enjoy!
Makin' Music Great Again 8)
PreviousNext

Moderator: u-he Mods

Return to u-he