The Hive Hexagon Thread

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

aumordia wrote: ...you can make a quite nice bell sound without any FM at all. Start with a sine wave, then layer in another sine wave up 2 octaves with lots of unison and HEAVY detune. Experiment with different waveforms and intervals, maybe working in the sub osc's as well.
This is very helpful. Your tips might also help me with some of the resonant plucks I've been working on (pxindy got me fired up to do this after hearing a few of his on a recent thread). Awesome of you to share. Much appreciated!

Just got into Hive and I am loving it right now. I hope it's still being developed and gets updated with some other features, at least the GUI.

Yorrrrrr wrote:Just got into Hive and I am loving it right now. I hope it's still being developed and gets updated with some other features, at least the GUI.
Yep, earlier in this thread you can find some of the discussion around updates. Additional waveforms seem to be on the table, and lots of discussion about the center hexagon. Microtuning might be added. Bunches of stuff.

But it's amazing what Hive can already do. Howard's tips and tricks in the manual are awesome. And I'm goign to pick up his collaborative soundsets Hive Science 1 & 2 for the awesome sounds and to study them to learn more about how to get even more sounds out of it. It has depth for sure.

clangorous wrote:
Yorrrrrr wrote:Just got into Hive and I am loving it right now. I hope it's still being developed and gets updated with some other features, at least the GUI.
Yep, earlier in this thread you can find some of the discussion around updates. Additional waveforms seem to be on the table, and lots of discussion about the center hexagon. Microtuning might be added. Bunches of stuff.

But it's amazing what Hive can already do. Howard's tips and tricks in the manual are awesome. And I'm goign to pick up his collaborative soundsets Hive Science 1 & 2 for the awesome sounds and to study them to learn more about how to get even more sounds out of it. It has depth for sure.
That's great. I am really loving this thing right now, not sure why I neglected it in the past. It's now my favorite all around bread-and-butter synth so it would be interesting to know if it will be further developed.

I think there is a new skin comin . Will it comes with any update ?

New skin? I'd love that. Anything you can show Urs?

Yorrrrrr wrote:New skin? I'd love that. Anything you can show Urs?
Not yet... our designer had his hands full with the new preset browser as well, which had to be put into several skins and plug-ins...

Is that Hive's Acidity preset? https://youtu.be/uPDrdlNPWjQ?t=5m :)

I've been mulling the POSSIBLE preset morphing feature. It's an absolute natural for HIVE. I think it would completely open it up. I'm not sure how you could do it with static oscillators though? You would HAVE TO morph the oscillators correct? Unless you are just fading one preset into another, which you can already do... and I don't think U-he would do something so rudimentary. I think the oscillators will have to be dynamic to pull that off. Which is what I've been saying since the beginning. People want more options over the oscillators. You do that and make the preset morphing an xy pad option, you could even make it a four way morph! add a 1 pole filter and whoa! I'm getting lit just thinking about it.

Just use bitwig and it's xy fx rack :party:

That would be fading one preset into another and I can do that in any DAW. Morphing would require dynamic OSC. You would have to make them morph from square to triangle to saw at a minimum.

Just my 2c: Preset morphing is a feature that many people think "would be awesome" but never seems to deliver. For a start, it can't handle switching in a musically sensible way.

Howard wrote:Just my 2c: Preset morphing is a feature that many people think "would be awesome" but never seems to deliver. For a start, it can't handle switching in a musically sensible way.

Hello Howard,

While I certainly would not want to take away from it's strength (which is it's play-ability), I've had experiences with instruments like oddity 2 where it really opened things up. The only reason I don't still use oddity 2 is because of the small GUI, but the preset Morphing is what's keeping it relevant and garnered it's following. Instruments like Camel Alchemy were so revered for it's preset morphing. If you were to have a situation where an instrument (like Hive) had 4 way morphing by the way of an XY pad it would not only make it unique in the world, it would give you infinite variation and combination of "in between" states that allows for quick and powerful exploration of new sounds.

In short, certainly don't detract from Hives play-ability what ever you do, but what I am looking for is not traditional sounds, but rather musical instruments that allow for NEW sounds that take advantage of the power of software. Doing things traditional instruments can not. Morphing is really, in my opinion, a way to open up the power of Hive... morphing presets AND morphing colors as well would be extremely useful for working on multiple instances of Hive. Seems like it was born to morph to me. That is all of course, out of my hands though, and you would have to make Hive's oscillators morph, which may or may not be possible. These are just my thoughts. Thanks for giving me your thoughts on this.

hmmmm.... I suppose morphing between filters would be a whole rewrite at that point. probably not possible. Oh well, I let my imagination get the better of me.

I'm open to the idea that inter-preset morphing could be more than just a feature. But I would need to see how it would benefit my work.

For example the X/Y pads in Zebra are great for refining a patch. If the modulation movement via the X/Y pad works then it makes sense to use multiple mod sources like LFOs and MSEGs to handle that movement in the patch. At that point the movement sounds less linear and more dynamic 'cause let's face it, X/Y pads are simultaneous but linear controls for multiple targets.

I Tried Camel Audio's Alchemy years ago because it sounded good to my ears. But samplers feel limiting in terms of creating sounds. To create a new sound meant I needed to have a new sample to start with. In the end, I left it and bought Zebra. Zebra's limits induce more creativity. Same for Hive and Repro-1. I love bumping into things and working to solve it because that's what sparks the creativity.

So the question in my mind is if preset morphing in a synth would help me to be more creative in some way. Not saying it wouldn't but I don't know the answer.

Return to “u-he”