The Hive Hexagon Thread

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

Dasheesh wrote:General FM was one of the first things and probably the most requested thing with HIVE...

It won't happen folks! That's not what Hive is.
Is that official? Did Urs, or anyone from u-he announce that FM was a no-go?

Did Lance Thackeray take a stab at the Hive UI redesign? He did the UI for Serum and one of the new ones for Sylenth 1. He is one of the best in the business.

Sound Author wrote:
Dasheesh wrote:General FM was one of the first things and probably the most requested thing with HIVE...

It won't happen folks! That's not what Hive is.
Is that official? Did Urs, or anyone from u-he announce that FM was a no-go?

I know this thread is 20 something pages but it has been discussed in this thread. It’s never been an official announcement but Urs has made it clear to me that was not the intent with Hive.

Fair enough. I guess I'll just bury my dream of one day modulating oscillator phase with audio-rate signals :(

Sound Author wrote:Fair enough. I guess I'll just bury my dream of one day modulating oscillator phase with audio-rate signals :(

or modulating frequency, as is the case with FM. *insert smiley face here*

Hell, I'm not involved or connected n any way. I could be wrong and be happy for it one day, as I've asked for the same myself, but after going out of my way to push the issue several times it's just become obvious that is not in the immediate plans with Hive, but it is available in the modular series (bazille is the best at that sort of thing).

The reason I mentioned oscillator phase is because phase modulation is what we're actually talking about (most of the time) when referring to "FM". As you pointed out, Bazille does this amazingly well. I actually prefer FM in Bazille to even the beefiest FM synths. You could cut glass with those sounds.

Dasheesh wrote:All I wanted was the ability to change the color scheme and brightness.
That would be excellent.

Dasheesh wrote:2: I hadn't considered preset morphing in Hive until you mentioned it and a cold chill went down my back. HIVE was MADE for preset morphing buddy. May I suggest that you set up the XY pad for preset morphing? That would be AWESOME!
Yes!! 8)

Urs wrote:Here are a few of our early work-in-progress drafts for a Hive redesign:

We think that we can enhance usability a lot by omitting the hexagon. Nevertheless, we also have a great UI coming up by a third party which keeps the hexagon and is absolutely gorgeous.

As for future feature updates I think we're committed to a dramatic increase in waveforms, along with a wavetable based synthesis method. This might be related to my current efforts in redesigning the Zebra oscillator.

We'll see... for now I'm just glad that we see light at the end of the tunnel with the Repro update, followed by Zebra 2.8, maybe even this year.
Wow!!! Those are super sexy! :love: :love: :love:
I can't wait until these are available! Any ETA? :hyper:

HcDoom wrote:Than original idea of Hive would be lost, simplicity..
+1
So many people here making requests that more or less defeat the original purpose of Hive.
Sure FM would be great, so would wavetables, etc...but there are plenty of other synths for that.
No, I think Hive needs to pretty much stay the same - perhaps with just a few tweaks like preset morphing, x-y option, some news skins and layout options.

Tbh though, Hive is perfect as it is. If it stayed like it is until the end of time, I'd be more than happy with it.
Last edited by Russell Grand on Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[deleted]
Last edited by Russell Grand on Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[deleted]

Russell Grand wrote:
Dasheesh wrote:2: I hadn't considered preset morphing in Hive until you mentioned it and a cold chill went down my back. HIVE was MADE for preset morphing buddy. May I suggest that you set up the XY pad for preset morphing? That would be AWESOME!
Yes!! 8)
Wow! Yes please! +1

Russell Grand wrote:
HcDoom wrote:Than original idea of Hive would be lost, simplicity..
+1
So many people here making requests that more or less defeat the original purpose of Hive.
Sure FM would be great, so would wavetables, etc...but there are plenty of other synths for that.
No, I think Hive needs to pretty much stay the same - perhaps with just a few tweaks like preset morphing, x-y option, some news skins and layout options.

Tbh though, Hive is perfect as it is. If it stayed like it is until the end of time, I'd be more than happy with it.

I think most Hive users would agree with this. We are not asking for a lot. We basically want more beauty in the GUI and more oscillator wave forms in what ever form it manifest its self, there are just a lot of ways you can go about achieving those goals. Personally, I hope Hive stays a player instrument (as opposed to an edm programmed instrument) but we are at the mercy of Uhe, and URS has always done us right. It’s my opinion that they will probably add a few oscillators with morphing waveforms like a lot of other modern software classics. They are obviously going to redo the GUI to. I have faith. I love what Hive is already, I just think it needs a few tweaks and I think most others feel that way too.

Yep and...
Urs, please bring us an update with skin #2 ASAP especially if the new waveform synthesis will take some time to do. I'd find it much more inspiring to use Hive with that skin.

I would also really like to see more LP filter types.

Return to “u-he”