The Hive Hexagon Thread

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

EvilDragon wrote:New preset browser takes priority this year. Which is good IMHO. There are plenty other wavetable synths in the sea...
There are plenty of other preset browsers in the sea as well..... :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Where did this idea of wavetabling in Hive come from? That’s not what Hive is. Hive is an exercise in extreme design concepts. What popped out was beautifully organic and playable, so it is very analog in nature, but the point is to do as much as possible with as little as possible. What I see realistically is the FUTURE addition of a morphable oscillator type that will PROBABLY express it’s self in very well crafted FM type waveforms, It will probably look a little like Spires FM oscillator. I also see the addition of a 1 pole or 3 pole filter type. A 1 pole is better design, but there is a need to achieve a 3 pole by some means. He has already stated that the Hive update is coming after the Zebra and Diva updates. They are busy showing off some new stuff at superbooth right now, and I think they are also waiting on a new GUI. Soon...

Dasheesh wrote:Where did this idea of wavetabling in Hive come from?
Perhaps this is what started the talk....
Urs wrote: I was certain form the beginning that adding more waveforms would be key to unlock a whole lot more sound universes. However, I did some tests with some fancy synthesis methods and they just wouldn't fit the bill. I also think that sets of static waveforms aren't gonna cut it, otherwise I would have done that long time ago.

So lately I'm thinking vector synthesis, maybe with spatial qualities ("stereo waveforms", if that term exists) or even wavetables. Both methods (vector & wavetable) have never really resonated well with me though. So I have yet to find the spark that makes me jump into development. I do however find the open source editor from Synthesis Technology quite intrigueing, and I'm of course knee deep in the realtime wave morphing technology for Zebra 3. So it might very well be that something like it pops up one day.

There are loads and loads of other alternatives, including sample playback, FM and what not. We do have to find something that pairs well with Hive's modulation capabilities though. Sample playback usually isn't it (apart from glitch or granular) and FM requires a whole different set of parameters.

We'll see... but everyone can be certain that Hive won't be "quietly hidden away".
Dasheesh wrote:That’s not what Hive is..
Do you love the sound of Hive ? If so you'd naturally be interested in expanding the range of sounds it can create.

I love the sound of Hive and if it never got another update I'd still be happy with it but I'd much rather see new features that expand the sonic abilities of Hive than features like a new preset browser that do not. :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I didn’t see that post so thanks for bringing it to my attention, but I would put a bill down you won’t see wavetableing in Hive. My money is on some sort of fixed morphing oscillator. Like Spire or Arcsyn.

Yes there's a good chance WT's won't make it into Hive at least any time soon but that doesn't make the feature any less desirable to some people.

I welcome anything that expands the range of sounds Hive can create. Urs did say Hive won't be "quietly hidden away" so all we can do is wait and see what happens...... :wheee:

I want wavetables in Hive. Specifically wavetables created from FM synthesis. If I can't have FM, then I at least want faux-FM.

Some Hive news:

We're going to roll out a "Latest Build" of Hive with the existing feature set plus the new browser in a few days. This won't be an official update, but it'll preview preset tagging and it'll fix the High Sierra issue.

Due to funny circumstance, a decision was made for the third tab in the Hexagon. We have great difficulties automatically mapping Hive's modulation options to NKS performance controllers. So we decided to add 8 Macro controls to Hive. And guess what, we're in need for refurbished macro controls for Zebra3. So we're leveraging both into a really cool idea for XY-style macros for Hive. Those will have options for automatic assignments (quick workflow...) but also some cool enhancements over how things work in Zebra2. We think this is going to be a good compromise for the preset morphing request (which we couldn't properly fulfill) and a solution for the pressing NKS issue.

Then, before we officially roll out Hive 1.2 with Macros & NKS support we'll evaluate chances to add some more features, particularly on the waveform side. Can't promise anything yet, we need to figure out how to juggle things between all the updates which yet need to be done (Bazille, ACE, Uhbik...) and Z3 development as well.

:tu: Thank you Urs. Always a pleasure. :tu:

These are exciting news! Will there also be new skins included?

Elektronisch wrote:These are exciting news! Will there also be new skins included?
As I said, it's a two step release:

Step 1: Kind-of-inbetween with quick fixes + new browser, but no new features. No new skins in this either. Should happen soon.

Step 2: Official release of Hive 1.2 with a few new features (Macros, maybe waveforms) and possibly a new skin. Will be a few months away, but most certainly this year.

- U

Urs wrote:
Elektronisch wrote:These are exciting news! Will there also be new skins included?
As I said, it's a two step release:

Step 1: Kind-of-inbetween with quick fixes + new browser, but no new features. No new skins in this either. Should happen soon.

Step 2: Official release of Hive 1.2 with a few new features (Macros, maybe waveforms) and possibly a new skin. Will be a few months away, but most certainly this year.

- U
Hi,
all this hassle about skins :D

I hope the time consuming (in my eyes totally irrelevant) process of programming new skins does not stand in the way of implementing new waveforms, what I consider really relevant because HIVE is relatively standard at that matter and would strongly profit by new OSC sources.
Regards

nichttuntun wrote:process of programming new skins
Does not occupy developer time, only artist time.

Urs wrote:Some Hive news:

We're going to roll out a "Latest Build" of Hive with the existing feature set plus the new browser in a few days. This won't be an official update, but it'll preview preset tagging and it'll fix the High Sierra issue.

Due to funny circumstance, a decision was made for the third tab in the Hexagon. We have great difficulties automatically mapping Hive's modulation options to NKS performance controllers. So we decided to add 8 Macro controls to Hive. And guess what, we're in need for refurbished macro controls for Zebra3. So we're leveraging both into a really cool idea for XY-style macros for Hive. Those will have options for automatic assignments (quick workflow...) but also some cool enhancements over how things work in Zebra2. We think this is going to be a good compromise for the preset morphing request (which we couldn't properly fulfill) and a solution for the pressing NKS issue.

Then, before we officially roll out Hive 1.2 with Macros & NKS support we'll evaluate chances to add some more features, particularly on the waveform side. Can't promise anything yet, we need to figure out how to juggle things between all the updates which yet need to be done (Bazille, ACE, Uhbik...) and Z3 development as well.
Wonderful! most of all, I'm happy you guys are making progress on all the updates you want to get done and really moving things along :D

Urs wrote:
nichttuntun wrote:process of programming new skins
Does not occupy developer time, only artist time.
Hi. That's a cool thing 8) :tu:

Urs wrote:So we decided to add 8 Macro controls to Hive. And guess what, we're in need for refurbished macro controls for Zebra3. So we're leveraging both into a really cool idea for XY-style macros for Hive. Those will have options for automatic assignments (quick workflow...) but also some cool enhancements over how things work in Zebra2.
will they maybe have some kind of physics functions? Like bouncing ball or alike? Lemur has some cool functions there for XY pads.

Return to “u-he”