Why is ACE so much less popular than others?

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Numanoid wrote:
2ZrgE wrote:And it takes quite some CPU.
+1 One of the reason why I don't use it more.
Use a sampler. That's what you are doing with these ultra low cpu synths. They are suped up samplers. They sample oscillators and play them back over all keys. Synthesis takes cpu.

good idea just waiting for a u-he sampler....

Nevermind
Last edited by chk071 on Wed May 20, 2015 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yeah, deleted my post. Tbh i don't understand enough of the way synths are programmed to be able judge about it anyway. All i know is some consume very small amount of CPU, and still sound big. :)

Edit: Oops, now you deleted your post too and this post makes even less sense. :lol:

Howard wrote: I agree with FastTriggerFish that an upgrade to the filter (plus some new effects?) wouldn't go amiss, though!
...upgraded filters would be nice, but in addition to the existing ones...
There are lots of ACE-sounds that sound perfect as they are.
(as there are situations where better quality modes ruin the sound...)

p.s. have to admit i use ACE not so much as the other 4 u-hes that i own (zebra, diva, bazille, hive)
but when i use it, i really love it :-)

i guess it's underrated because its feature-set isn't that "spectacular" to create a hype.
And maybe some are still waiting for the big Berlin modular that unites ACE & Bazille & the third one (?)

chk071 wrote:Yeah, deleted my post. Tbh i don't understand enough of the way synths are programmed to be able judge about it anyway. All i know is some consume very small amount of CPU, and still sound big. :)

Edit: Oops, now you deleted your post too and this post makes even less sense. :lol:
The ones with stacked detuned sampled oscillators do.

ACE would benefit hugely from an analog style step sequencer ;-)

Dasheesh wrote:
chk071 wrote:Yeah, deleted my post. Tbh i don't understand enough of the way synths are programmed to be able judge about it anyway. All i know is some consume very small amount of CPU, and still sound big. :)

The ones with stacked detuned sampled oscillators do.
I always was under the impression in most softsynths these days the oscillators are being calculated rather than being sample based. Maybe i'm wrong.

A lot can be thought of more like a printing press. "Pressing off" copies of the basic waveform with every key pressed. You can hear the ones that do this and it's not always the low cpu ones. It's that ultra hi definition hi frequency multisample sound that is in a lot of the synths most millennials think sound so awesome. You can hear it.

Sylenth, Hive, Largo, LUSH101 sounds like it (high cpu because it's running 11 instances at super sample rates, imagine if it wasn't!), probably arturia...it has that sound. Probably Dune (haven't played with that one but that's my guess). Probably ZETA, uhhhh list goes on.

The other ways of handling oscillation are using a pure sample frequency keyed to the notes you play, samples blended or compounded with calculated oscillations (Usually sine waves, Spire/ana), and pure calculated as played oscillations (this is actually pretty hard to find any more). I think ACE is pure calculated oscillators. One that I have troubles wrapping my head around is synth master, which seems to do all of the above.

Dasheesh wrote:A lot can be thought of more like a printing press. "Pressing off" copies of the basic waveform with every key pressed. You can hear the ones that do this and it's not always the low cpu ones. It's that ultra hi definition hi frequency multisample sound that is in a lot of the synths most millennials think sound so awesome. You can hear it.

Sylenth, Hive, Largo, LUSH101 sounds like it (high cpu because it's running 11 instances at super sample rates, imagine if it wasn't!), probably arturia...it has that sound. Probably Dune (haven't played with that one but that's my guess). Probably ZETA, uhhhh list goes on.
I don't know if I agree with you on LUSH101.

Ace is fun,you can do some neat sounds with it.
Last edited by V0RT3X on Sun May 24, 2015 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:borg:

Dasheesh wrote:The other ways of handling oscillation are using a pure sample frequency keyed to the notes you play, samples blended or compounded with calculated oscillations (Usually sine waves, Spire/ana), and pure calculated as played oscillations (this is actually pretty hard to find any more). I think ACE is pure calculated oscillators. One that I have troubles wrapping my head around is synth master, which seems to do all of the above.
Urs explained it why ACE and Bazille both use quite some CPU - because every sound uses the whole synth structure, not only elements of it (like in Zebra). I guess Urs or someone else could explain that better. :wink:
Last edited by 2ZrgE on Thu May 21, 2015 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

I only own ACE out of the U-he synths so can't really compare against the others, all I know is it is a solid and weighty sounding synth and always inspires me when I play it. I can get caught out with modulation/routing on it, in a way a full modular can be easier in some ways as I don't make assumptions about routing and modulations with them.

I will join in hoping ACE gets a bit of an upgrade, a selection of more filters, effects and a step sequencer in addition to the mapping generator already in there.

Return to “u-he”