Hive 1.0

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

fluffy_little_something wrote:Yeah, I know, but I avoid Intel. It's like Google, way too dominant for my taste, almost a monopolist :P
For your own sake: Don't.
Intel is the king of CPU's and have been so since they made the Core 2 Duo. They're not a monopoly, but their products became so good that AMD could no longer compete (and why AMD has partially given up in the performance desktop CPU segment). And that's really the key here: The reason they're "a monopoly" is because they simply out-did the competition, fair and square. (Well, as fair as having a much larger budget for RnD is...).

So do yourself a favour and buy an Intel CPU next time. Anything else is just silly.
I make music like I play Tekken; randomly push buttons and hope for something good to happen.

Carrier + Modulator + Hive

waiting and wishing for FM on Hive .....

Nutrinoland wrote:Carrier + Modulator + Hive

waiting and wishing for FM on Hive .....
I was saying on the feature request board that the mod-matrix would actually be the ideal place for the FM/Sync and hopefully Ring-mod. That way, you can route the effect anywhere you want rather than being relegated to a waveform. You can introduce sync before the filter, afterwards etc. Then, just turn the dial to adjust the amount.

In general, Hive really needs to expand it's digital frontier. Essentially, all of these requests (FM/Sync, etc) deal with that element. Some digital waveforms would really help with DnB, Dubstep, and those grittier styles.

I just bought Hive and well...... WOW!!! :D

This thing just sounds sooo totally awesome!!!!! 8)

EvilDragon wrote:@Ikariya: Extremely fast envelopes will almost always produce clicks. That's just a fact of life. ;)

Naturally, distortion and EQ will emphasize the clicks. The only real solution is not to use Attack time of 0. Somewhere around 5-6 should alleviate the clicks, yet still produce a sorta punchy attack. Alternatively you can try taming those clicks with a compressor at the end of the FX chain.
Thank u for your suggestions. You are absolutely right that extremely fast env would do that on any synth, but respectfully that's not what I'm doing... :)

I'm finding that Hive exhibits a unique behaviour (I've put other synths through similarly intense processing and never had a problem I couldn't fix by making small adjustments). We're not talking about an attack of 0 or 1 here - I can now reproduce with attack 50 + release 100 using the simple default patch / 1 sine osc / filters bypassed / just distortion + EQ. What I hear is a pop immediately preceding the relaxed attack, and I'm struggling to explain how that can happen.

Did more testing and found:
- The first note in a sequence never pops.
- Overlapping notes and using Legato mode actually makes the pops worse compared to Poly (weird??), unless I apply glide.
- Can be reproduced with really slow sequences as well, everywhere release tails run into the next note.
- Most of the Hive controls have little to no impact on the artifact. i.e. I can apply crazy mod env + LFO + glide + vibrato and the pops still come out sounding the same.
- The artifact appears as a spike around 11kHz. I am tracking @ 44.1kHz, may not be coincidence.

Only conclusion I can come to is that some function in Hive produces a quiet glitch any time notes' amp envelopes overlap, prior to the summed output.

I hope someone from u-he would be willing to have a quick play to see if this is not happening by design. :)
I'm curious if my Bitwig DAW has any part in this too.

Ikariya wrote:I hope someone from u-he would be willing to have a quick play to see if this is not happening by design. :)
Hmmm, it's a bit curious.

I set up a sequence in Hive in AU Lab, all legato, playing just a sine oscillator in legato mode, filters on bypass. And indeed, the interval changes have perceivable pops and clicks. I rendered to disc and opened in Audition. As expected, the sudden interval changes are displayed as high frequency discontinuities. The waveform continues smoothly, but the slope has a sudden change. What's curious about it is that there's some overshoot and some quiet afterwards, much as if there's a short DC-signal added.

So I went and did the same with a square wave. Curious again, no extra overshoots or DC changes. Everything looks exactly as I expected.

Now, the code that renders the sine wave is the same code that renders the square wave from a wavetable. The overshoot must happen in the processing thereafter, maybe some lowpass filter. Whether this filter is inside Hive or whatever infrastructure AU Lab uses to render to disc, I don't know yet. I might try some other synths next week and see how they go.

- Urs

I would be nice if you can have different skins for each instance of Hive. Right now changing one instance, changes them all.

Ooo, I noticed that the DejuVu cinematic patches are listed on his FB as Factory Patches (alongside "Howie Neu"). Does that mean we can expect these new DejuVu/HS patches in a new update? :)

(Speaking of which, I'm really happy that the cinematic track and Aiyn Zahev's "Nectar" demo is on the main page now :D)

Dunno if anyone else is having this issue but when I draw some notes to pianoroll, envelopes don't restart on note start :P I have to shorten the notes a bit to make it restart.

Playing legato and in Bitwig.

Hi, guys! For the life of me, I cant find how to turn on, OSC 2, from the INI. preset. What am I missing, thanks.
:)

RTFM? :)

Lejurai wrote:Dunno if anyone else is having this issue but when I draw some notes to pianoroll, envelopes don't restart on note start :P I have to shorten the notes a bit to make it restart.

Playing legato and in Bitwig.
The point of Legato is that the env's don't restart when they overlap ;)
Try setting the Mode parameter next to the HIVE logo to Mono instead of Legato for env retriggering.
abstractcats wrote:Hi, guys! For the life of me, I cant find how to turn on, OSC 2, from the INI. preset. What am I missing, thanks.
:)
Just turn up the Volume knob and make sure that Osc2 is assigned to one of the filters (the little boxes next to the filters route an osc to that filter).

BDeep wrote:The point of Legato is that the env's don't restart when they overlap ;)
I know.. The issue here is that notes don't overlap.

Yeah, noticed that too, they also play legato if they are connected (ie, directly after each other). Haven't been able to reproduce it otherwise.

Return to “u-he”