Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
himalaya
KVRAF
 
4800 posts since 23 Mar, 2006, from pendeLondonmonium

Postby himalaya; Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:05 am Re: Feature Request : MPE support

Urs wrote:Release Velocity can pretty much only be used for envelope release times. Everything else would lead to clicks, thumps and other artifacts harvested through sudden change. It's not suited for a "general purpose" modulation source as we use them in many of our plug-ins.

The only other scenario I can think of is the one where a synth adopts a glide time for velocity - which we might experiment with.


Hey Urs, 'release velocity' really works well with most synthesis parameters. The trick is to first modulate/open the amp envelope release stage (which you mention) and then modulate anything else. It comes through without any issues and can be very musical. We need to talk. :)
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
User avatar
EvilDragon
KVRAF
 
16759 posts since 6 Jan, 2009, from Croatia

Postby EvilDragon; Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:15 am Re: Feature Request : MPE support

Yes, you two need to talk! :) I want to see release velocity in u-he products as a mod source, too :)
Howard
KVRAF
 
3595 posts since 23 May, 2004, from Bad Vilbel, Germany

Postby Howard; Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:07 pm Re: Feature Request : MPE support

For what it's worth I found release velocity rather useful while programming Waldorf Q sounds about 15 years ago!
(BTW I'm not a fan of the Q)
User avatar
EvilDragon
KVRAF
 
16759 posts since 6 Jan, 2009, from Croatia

Postby EvilDragon; Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:57 pm Re: Feature Request : MPE support

Q is awesome. :D
ulph
KVRist
 
89 posts since 7 Jan, 2011, from stockholm, sweden

Postby ulph; Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:11 pm Re: Feature Request : MPE support

I have incorporated release velocity in my own unreleased soft synth and I think it makes sense especially if connected to a release bump envelope (filter or fm, for instance). With the Linnstrument it feels like playing electric jelly that sticks a bit to my fingers...

But maybe not for everyone.
PhasePhckr (modular MPE VSTi) G+
Fatar88Lux (dyi MIDI brain) bitbucket
Assault Opera - sound cloud | spotify
User avatar
.maki
KVRAF
 
4387 posts since 21 Jan, 2008, from oO

Postby .maki; Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:18 pm Re: Feature Request : MPE support

ulph wrote:I have incorporated release velocity in my own unreleased soft synth and I think it makes sense especially if connected to a release bump envelope (filter or fm, for instance). With the Linnstrument it feels like playing electric jelly that sticks a bit to my fingers...

But maybe not for everyone.


Sounds like fun!
User avatar
thetechnobear
KVRian
 
854 posts since 2 Jan, 2013

Postby thetechnobear; Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:14 am Re: Feature Request : MPE support

News : MPE officially adopted by MIDI Association

https://www.midi.org/articles/midi-poly ... ession-mpe

Final docs with be upload in coming weeks.

Finally, hardware and software will be able to implement with finalized specs.
User avatar
EvilDragon
KVRAF
 
16759 posts since 6 Jan, 2009, from Croatia

Postby EvilDragon; Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:23 am Re: Feature Request : MPE support

Took them long enough.
User avatar
thetechnobear
KVRian
 
854 posts since 2 Jan, 2013

Postby thetechnobear; Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:37 am Re: Feature Request : MPE support

EvilDragon wrote:Took them long enough.


thats standards committees for you.
good to see MIDI CI was also adopted...

but I don't think anything was said about Midi HD/2.0 ...
Funkybot's Evil Twin
KVRAF
 
5611 posts since 15 Aug, 2006

Postby Funkybot's Evil Twin; Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:57 pm Re: Feature Request : MPE support

Is everyone with an MPE instrument that uses Tmbre (CC74) just using something like Cubase's Input Transformer to convert CC74 to one of the values U-he synths supports like Expression? I've just been doing this with my Rise in tandem with the Matrix in RePro-5 and it seems to work just great. I get polyphonic control the filter cutoff with the slide motion (being converted to Expression) and just use Aftertouch for Volume or Resonance. Am I missing out on something by setting it up this way or did I just stumble upon a workaround to make the Rise work better with U-he synths?
User avatar
pdxindy
KVRAF
 
13696 posts since 2 Feb, 2005, from in the wilds

Postby pdxindy; Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:23 am Re: Feature Request : MPE support

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:Is everyone with an MPE instrument that uses Tmbre (CC74) just using something like Cubase's Input Transformer to convert CC74 to one of the values U-he synths supports like Expression? I've just been doing this with my Rise in tandem with the Matrix in RePro-5 and it seems to work just great. I get polyphonic control the filter cutoff with the slide motion (being converted to Expression) and just use Aftertouch for Volume or Resonance. Am I missing out on something by setting it up this way or did I just stumble upon a workaround to make the Rise work better with U-he synths?


It's easy on the Linnstrument to set the Y axis (Timbre) to any CC value. Default is 74 and there is a dedicated CC1 option, that can then be set to any value. This works just fine in Logic for all the u-he synths (except Zebra).

Bitwig requires CC74... so I use Logic for the u-he synths. I look forward to someday being able to fully use u-he synths with Bitwig.
User avatar
Urs
u-he
 
22349 posts since 7 Aug, 2002, from Berlin

Postby Urs; Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:43 pm Re: Feature Request : MPE support

Interesting. We have renamed our standard Breath / XPress modulation sources to Ctrl A/B with an option to set these to any MIDI Control Change message. Once new versions of any synths come out, these will have the option.

We still plan to release updates to everything this year, awaiting some final tweaks to UI response times and the usual internal and public testing cycles.
Funkybot's Evil Twin
KVRAF
 
5611 posts since 15 Aug, 2006

Postby Funkybot's Evil Twin; Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:36 pm Re: Feature Request : MPE support

Urs wrote:Interesting. We have renamed our standard Breath / XPress modulation sources to Ctrl A/B with an option to set these to any MIDI Control Change message. Once new versions of any synths come out, these will have the option.

We still plan to release updates to everything this year, awaiting some final tweaks to UI response times and the usual internal and public testing cycles.


That's great news! :tu:

Could you also add an option in the dropdown for "Timbre" and have it automatically map to CC74 behind the scenes specifically for MPE controllers (assuming that's in the spec)? Seems like it would save an extra step.
User avatar
Urs
u-he
 
22349 posts since 7 Aug, 2002, from Berlin

Postby Urs; Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:29 am Re: Feature Request : MPE support

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
Urs wrote:Interesting. We have renamed our standard Breath / XPress modulation sources to Ctrl A/B with an option to set these to any MIDI Control Change message. Once new versions of any synths come out, these will have the option.

We still plan to release updates to everything this year, awaiting some final tweaks to UI response times and the usual internal and public testing cycles.


That's great news! :tu:

Could you also add an option in the dropdown for "Timbre" and have it automatically map to CC74 behind the scenes specifically for MPE controllers (assuming that's in the spec)? Seems like it would save an extra step.

We'll see what the final standard looks like. If it still has a status change message to turn MPE on in a device, we could automatically set the source selectors accordingly.
Funkybot's Evil Twin
KVRAF
 
5611 posts since 15 Aug, 2006

Postby Funkybot's Evil Twin; Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:12 am Re: Feature Request : MPE support

Urs wrote:
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
Urs wrote:Interesting. We have renamed our standard Breath / XPress modulation sources to Ctrl A/B with an option to set these to any MIDI Control Change message. Once new versions of any synths come out, these will have the option.

We still plan to release updates to everything this year, awaiting some final tweaks to UI response times and the usual internal and public testing cycles.


That's great news! :tu:

Could you also add an option in the dropdown for "Timbre" and have it automatically map to CC74 behind the scenes specifically for MPE controllers (assuming that's in the spec)? Seems like it would save an extra step.

We'll see what the final standard looks like. If it still has a status change message to turn MPE on in a device, we could automatically set the source selectors accordingly.


After figuring out the "I can map CC74 to Breath or Expression" thing with Cubase's input transformer, I'm actually quite content with how well the U-he synths currently work with the Rise. Unfortunately, I still use Studio One quite a bit, which is where things are way more of a headache so any little bit helps.
PreviousNext

Moderator: u-he Mods

Return to u-he