Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
pdxindy
KVRAF

13232 posts since 2 Feb, 2005, from in the wilds

Postby pdxindy; Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:06 pm Re: Feature Request : MPE support

Urs wrote:Interesting. We have renamed our standard Breath / XPress modulation sources to Ctrl A/B with an option to set these to any MIDI Control Change message. Once new versions of any synths come out, these will have the option.

We still plan to release updates to everything this year, awaiting some final tweaks to UI response times and the usual internal and public testing cycles.

Thank You!! :tu:

Then I will be able to use u-he synths with Bitwig! :party: :party: :party:
Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF

5958 posts since 12 May, 2008

Postby Echoes in the Attic; Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:43 am Re: Feature Request : MPE support

Yes that’s will be great to be able to use timbre with u-he stuff in bitwig.

I hope to also see a global mono mode some day. No at the expense of the mono per channel, that can be useful. But maybe an additional setting. I still don’t know what the official way to handle that is supposed to be. Seems like most synths either go global mono or global poly yet react differently to notes received on the same channel. Now that the spec is finalized I wonder if there is anything explaining why different synths seem to react differently when receiving notes on the same channel. For example most, like synthmaster, u-he synths, legend and others, will treat any notes received in the same channel with the same expression as received from one note. So in Bitwig if one note ends but the release continues past when the next note begins, and the note note has a pitch bend or expression, it will apply to both (because Bitwig reuses the channel when a note ends, only using different channels for overlapping notes), which is annoying. The only ones that seem to separate the expressions somehow even when it is the same channel received is the Roli/fxpansion synths and falcon. And the Bitwig ones. At least with the u-he ones you can set it to mono, which at least will cut off a previous notes when a new one starts on the same channel so you won’t get multiple notes getting the expression that was meant for one note. Just have to use some delay/reverb for that extra tail if desired. I do the same thing with Omnisphere, setting each part to mono. Unfortunately though I also can’t use Omnisphere for global mono.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit. Once I have something clever, I will certainly fill it in.
pdxindy
KVRAF

Postby pdxindy; Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:14 am Re: Feature Request : MPE support

pdxindy wrote:
Urs wrote:Interesting. We have renamed our standard Breath / XPress modulation sources to Ctrl A/B with an option to set these to any MIDI Control Change message. Once new versions of any synths come out, these will have the option.

We still plan to release updates to everything this year, awaiting some final tweaks to UI response times and the usual internal and public testing cycles.

Thank You!! :tu:

Then I will be able to use u-he synths with Bitwig! :party: :party: :party:

Sweet! The new internal Diva beta has both 48+/- Pitch and the new Midi A / B option

Finally can use Pitch, Pressure and Timbre with a u-he synth in Bitwig!
antcarrier
KVRist

38 posts since 22 Feb, 2017, from Australia

Postby antcarrier; Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:34 am Re: Feature Request : MPE support

As a Linnstrument player, I actually feel that the biggest thing missing in u-he synths is actually velocity curve control. The way that u-he synths implement note per channel is in many ways better than many other 'mpe synths', and no doubt sound fantastic.

Unfortunately though, MPE controllers seem to respond much better to a linear velocity curve, which is currently only available in zebra AFAIK. In many ways, Zebra 'feels' more expressive to play than the other u-he synths, despite not having note per channel or MPE support (as a mono synth obviously, or with PB disabled). I tend to avoid velocity sensitivity in the other u-he synths because of this, and just use aftertouch.

To me, this is more important than features such as CC74. The whole point of MPE is having connection with the instrument, and velocity is the most basic type of musical expression. Got to have it feeling natural :) Please add a velocity curve control, or even just a linear curve switch. :)

Other features that would be of great benefit to MPE players would be the ability to control sustain with AT, and release with release velocity. But that's a whole other thing, haha. Velocity curves are more important :)

More mod mappers in repro, and even mod mappers in a future version of diva, would be great for MPE players!

PS, thanks for your cool synths!
thedommer2000
KVRer

14 posts since 24 Feb, 2018

Postby thedommer2000; Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:50 am Re: Feature Request : MPE support

Just found this thread. I picked up a Linnstrument yesterday and I was just about to dive into figuring out how this works with repro 5. Seems this thread has been going on for a few years. So quick question. Is there MPE support yet? and if not, does anyone have a setup guide for getting MPE type controls to work on the Linnstrument. Thanks!
pdxindy
KVRAF

Postby pdxindy; Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:07 am Re: Feature Request : MPE support

thedommer2000 wrote:Just found this thread. I picked up a Linnstrument yesterday and I was just about to dive into figuring out how this works with repro 5. Seems this thread has been going on for a few years. So quick question. Is there MPE support yet? and if not, does anyone have a setup guide for getting MPE type controls to work on the Linnstrument. Thanks!

What DAW are you using?
thedommer2000
KVRer

14 posts since 24 Feb, 2018

Postby thedommer2000; Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:25 am Re: Feature Request : MPE support

pdxindy wrote:
thedommer2000 wrote:Just found this thread. I picked up a Linnstrument yesterday and I was just about to dive into figuring out how this works with repro 5. Seems this thread has been going on for a few years. So quick question. Is there MPE support yet? and if not, does anyone have a setup guide for getting MPE type controls to work on the Linnstrument. Thanks!

What DAW are you using?

Studio One 3
pdxindy
KVRAF

Postby pdxindy; Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:59 am Re: Feature Request : MPE support

thedommer2000 wrote:
pdxindy wrote:

What DAW are you using?

Studio One 3

Studio One does not support MPE itself... I assume you would have to use multiple instances of the synth each with the same preset and each receiving a different midi channel. With that method, any synth will work, including all the u-he synths.

I'm on a Mac and use Logic and Bitwig. The u-he synths (except Zebra2) work great using MPE in Logic with my Linnstrument. The u-he synths don't support release velocity. Otherwise full functionality.

Bitwig is not as flexible as Logic and so currently the u-he synths don't work in the Y axis (Timbre). An internal Diva beta now supports Y axis in Bitwig (via CC#74) so that should be available relatively soon with the other synths to follow whenever they next receive an update.
Previous

Moderator: u-he Mods

Return to u-he