[ANN] Repro-1

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Urs wrote:We've spent a lot of time pondering about some conceptual questions. We dismissed a poly version and we decided to offer a "normal" stereo out synth plug-in with FX and a version with multiple dedicated inputs and outputs. Latter won't have any on-board FX but will be patchable in a modular environment.
Hmmmmm. So does this really mean you are going to offer 2 separate products? The second one a modular?
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:

spunkmuffin wrote:
Urs wrote:We've spent a lot of time pondering about some conceptual questions. We dismissed a poly version and we decided to offer a "normal" stereo out synth plug-in with FX and a version with multiple dedicated inputs and outputs. Latter won't have any on-board FX but will be patchable in a modular environment.
Hmmmmm. So does this really mean you are going to offer 2 separate products? The second one a modular?
I think there are simply going to be 2 seperate plugins, but definitely not products. Just like some developers offer FX versions of their synth plugins (FM8, Surge, Absynth...), there are going to be 2 RePro-1 DLLs. One with effects and one with various "CV" in- and outputs.

One could then, for example, take the oscillator output of one RePro-1 instance, and use it to modulate the filter frequency of a second instance (If something like VCO out and VCF CV in is planned).

At least that's how I imagine it.

I like the sound of that :) So could I say take an oscillator output from Bazille (bypassing the filter) and patch it in to the modular Re-Pro filter? Or alternately patch into just modular Re-Pro's VCA?
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:

If Bazille would have an oscillator output than that would indeed be possible.

I think the idea is to create a bunch of those small and very detailed classic synths like Repro-1 and make them interact with each other.

For example, I had a lot of fun putting other synths into the feedback path of my CS-15 (I'd like an emulation of that synth, by the way), or using external LFOs to modulate my Juno's filter at audio rates and stuff like that.

fantastic its going to have effects,...Diva is one of the few synths I use which has good inbuilt fx...only think Id ask for 'for both' is some sort of additional overdrive...I know you can drive Diva a bit but not enough and its a certain type of futzy drive...it could almost do with a pedal distortion (with blend) or something to give it more bite...then it would be perfect...
Presets for u-he Diva -> http://swanaudio.co.uk/

Yes, some kind of distortion would fit Diva really well, that and a simple tone control, maybe even something like the basic EQ ACE has.

Well, I never wanted to add a strong distortion (or a bitcrusher etc.) to Diva because it would ruin the effort that was put into her tonal qualities. In other words, for strongly distorted sounds one wouldn't need the CPU demanding algorithms before that.

I'd much rather have some "character" effect that just adds colouration... We shall see.

Repro otoh might even get two distortion modules.

spunkmuffin wrote:So does this really mean you are going to offer 2 separate products? The second one a modular?
As NerdMcBoon says, 2 plug-ins, same download, installer and license.

The i/o version won't be modular per se - one can't patch things internally. But it will have many output options, e.g. for use as audio/modulation source. On the input side we're looking at the signal inputs that a real Pro-One actually has: Gate, CV, Trigger/Clock, Filter CV and Audio Input. This is the result of many people nagging us for years for such connectivity, either to reproduce the original behaviour or to integrate with their modular setup. Repro is going to be our first attempt at satisfying that wish. People who don't need this functionality can just use the other one.

So... nagging for years actually works? Uh-oh! :hihi:
Rekkerd.org the latest news on audio plugins, sample libraries & virtual instruments, synth presets & more.
Don't click here if you can't control yourself!

Urs wrote:
spunkmuffin wrote:So does this really mean you are going to offer 2 separate products? The second one a modular?
As NerdMcBoon says, 2 plug-ins, same download, installer and license.

The i/o version won't be modular per se - one can't patch things internally. But it will have many output options, e.g. for use as audio/modulation source. On the input side we're looking at the signal inputs that a real Pro-One actually has: Gate, CV, Trigger/Clock, Filter CV and Audio Input. This is the result of many people nagging us for years for such connectivity, either to reproduce the original behaviour or to integrate with their modular setup. Repro is going to be our first attempt at satisfying that wish. People who don't need this functionality can just use the other one.
Me and my modular thanks you! :)

Urs wrote:Well, I never wanted to add a strong distortion (or a bitcrusher etc.) to Diva because it would ruin the effort that was put into her tonal qualities. In other words, for strongly distorted sounds one wouldn't need the CPU demanding algorithms before that.
That's completely understandable.
Urs wrote:Repro otoh might even get two distortion modules.
Nice!

Urs wrote:Well, I never wanted to add a strong distortion (or a bitcrusher etc.) to Diva because it would ruin the effort that was put into her tonal qualities. In other words, for strongly distorted sounds one wouldn't need the CPU demanding algorithms before that.

I'd much rather have some "character" effect that just adds colouration... We shall see.

great that RePro will get some distortions...but given its a similar analogue emulation with tonal quality, I don't see why Diva doesn't get the option...its quite common for example for people with moogs etc to run them thru a tube pedal / distortion...you still retain the analogue tone until you blitz it....
Presets for u-he Diva -> http://swanaudio.co.uk/

analoguesamples909 wrote:

great that RePro will get some distortions...but given its a similar analogue emulation with tonal quality, I don't see why Diva doesn't get the option...its quite common for example for people with moogs etc to run them thru a tube pedal / distortion...you still retain the analogue tone until you blitz it....
The Pro-One was never the nicest sounding synthesizer of all times. It doesn't ooze "warm and mellow beauty" as much as Diva does. To the contrary, it's raw, direct, strong and at times pretty mean. It excels at "going extreme" - which is one of our reasons to keep it in its own enclosure instead of adding it to Diva.

We're trying a bunch of stomp box style effects with it that emphasize Repro's strengths. Chorus and Phaser are not so much among those, but distortion is.

(that said, I just read https://www.attackmagazine.com/techniqu ... -uhe-diva/ which demos Diva through distortion in a good way... we'll see)

- U

Urs wrote:The Pro-One was never the nicest sounding synthesizer of all times. It doesn't ooze "warm and mellow beauty" as much as Diva does. To the contrary, it's raw, direct, strong and at times pretty mean. It excels at "going extreme"
Indeed! I think that's why I thought filter 1 would be the most accurate one. It's been a long time since I owned a real Pro-1, so I just remember it as super nasty and aggressive sounding synth. Memory often tends to exaggerate subjective impressions like that quite a bit, I suppose.

core wrote:So... nagging for years actually works? Uh-oh! :hihi:
We all hope so If you're about overdrive.
Murderous duck!

Return to “u-he”