Diva Sounds Consistently Better Than my Prophet 08. HELP!

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

whyterabbyt wrote:
Urs wrote:
chilly7 wrote:They where similarly sounding with some subjective difference but i do not know how explain that but the real one had something megical in sound which Diva lucked. And that was noticed by me on YouTube video. So i guess more higher quality audio system you have more noticable it will be. Also i heared the same result with NI Monark vs real Moog. So Uhe must not relax and continue to improve.
That again? :scared:

Please revisit the threads where this video was discussed *before* the results were published.
and take note of the number of folk, including silly7, who only got around to claiming the hardware sounded better after they knew which one it was.
Please do not misinform people.
I did not know which one was.
I listened to 1 vs 2 and then i posted a comment that one of which must be analog because it has some magic in sound which othe example lucks. And if it is software i will be very suprised.
Then i read commens below the video and i found out i was right.
If i heared no difference i would not lair to people that i hear a difference.

P.s. People must understand that they listen to audio on compromised audio format and compromised digital audio equipment. So on high quality audio playback system the diference can be more noticable. And more higher quality audio system you have more difference must be.
https://слово-божье.рф

chilly7 wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:
Urs wrote:
chilly7 wrote:They where similarly sounding with some subjective difference but i do not know how explain that but the real one had something megical in sound which Diva lucked. And that was noticed by me on YouTube video. So i guess more higher quality audio system you have more noticable it will be. Also i heared the same result with NI Monark vs real Moog. So Uhe must not relax and continue to improve.

Please revisit the threads where this video was discussed *before* the results were published.
and take note of the number of folk, including silly7, who only got around to claiming the hardware sounded better after they knew which one it was.
I listened to 1 vs 2 and then i posted a comment that one of which must be analog because it has some magic in sound which othe example lucks. And if it is software i will be very suprised.

P.s. People must understand that they listen to audio on compromised audio format and compromised digital audio equipment. So on high quality audio playback system the diference can be more noticable. And more higher quality audio system you have more difference must be.
So you wrote, after listening to both, that there is "magic" in one of the sound examples, but didn't post which one you thought it was, and when it got revealed which is which, you found that you were right about it? Wow, you are a true master of synths. :roll:

Seriously, as has been said, that "A/B test" was majorly flawed in the first place, because the person who did wanted to sell his soundset, thus it would have been a big surprise if he made the real thing sound better. And people will most likely vote after what sounds better anyway, as everyone says analog sounds better, so the siginificance of such tests has to be questioned in general.

chk071 wrote:
chilly7 wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:
Urs wrote:

So you wrote, after listening to both, that there is "magic" in one of the sound examples, but didn't post which one you thought it was, and when it got revealed which is which, you found that you were right about it? Wow, you are a true master of synths. :roll:

Seriously, as has been said, that "A/B test" was majorly flawed in the first place, because the person who did wanted to sell his soundset, thus it would have been a big surprise if he made the real thing sound better. And people will most likely vote after what sounds better anyway, as everyone says analog sounds better, so the siginificance of such tests has to be questioned in general.
I did not know which one which.
I listened to audio then posted a comment what i think which one which. Then read comments to find out which one which.

I cannot speak if test was flawed. I just was listening to what they gave me. If Diva sounded as what i choused to be sounding megical i would be only happy because i would not need to get expansive analog gear and deal with big hassles it will probide.
https://слово-божье.рф

Hey guys. Didn't mean to start, yet another analog vs digital debate. Just trying to say that diva sounds amazing. I've never heard a soft synth like it and it deserves a place right along side my analog gear and it's not considered a compromise. In my particular circumstances, I think the only analog gear I'm going to have is monophonic synths. I feel good about relying on diva/zebra for my polyphonic needs, as well as an addition to my mono synths. For being on a tight budget, this seems like the way to go for me personally, but for you guys, I'm sure it's different for everyone.

rosschehayeb wrote:Hey guys. Didn't mean to start, yet another analog vs digital debate. Just trying to say that diva sounds amazing. I've never heard a soft synth like it and it deserves a place right along side my analog gear and it's not considered a compromise. In my particular circumstances, I think the only analog gear I'm going to have is monophonic synths. I feel good about relying on diva/zebra for my polyphonic needs, as well as an addition to my mono synths. For being on a tight budget, this seems like the way to go for me personally, but for you guys, I'm sure it's different for everyone.
+1

zerocrossing wrote:
taoyoyo wrote:I remember listening to those Diva v OB audio examples.

I didn't post in that thread as I didn't really care to get sucked into the whole 'which one is the real thing' vibe.

I did however have a set of examples that I *preferred*... which turned out to be Diva. :)
Any 6th grade science teacher would have thrown that experiment out the window. It was presented by a person who was selling one of the things being tested. Do you think they found conditions that Diva couldn't compete and still put them in? Of course not.

It did show one thing though: Diva can sound good. Is that ever contested? There are conditions where it fails though. Try that filter FM next to the real thing. It sounds dead and... well just wrong. Monark, Blocks and Roland's System 100 plug ins all do a much better job. It's not lost on me that all those examples are monophonic. That kind of calculation must be a bitch to calculate in real time. I would like if Urs put in some sort of "super-devine" mode where things like this sounded a lot better. Yeah, you might only get a voice or two, but it wouldn't sound crappy. Of course, the 08 has no such issue and you can get audio rate modulation going at no "extra cost."

Another thing is... Diva isn't an emulation of the Prophet 08. It would be just as easy to say that you're getting a sound on it that Diva can't do well. Maybe you don't like the 08, and that's fine, but to make a direct comparison of two things that aren't really trying to be each other is just silly. I happen to really like the Prophet 08. Sure, there are things about that filter that might sound a bit "screamy" compared to something like a Prophet 5 filter, but I think that's just as much a plus as it is a minus.

Go ahead and sell your Prophet 08s if you don't like them. I did at one point and I honestly missed it. I've got all sorts of VA available to me that does amazing things including all the Creamware stuff... but for some reason I have a Prophet 6 on it's way to me. I almost went for another 08 though, but I felt for what I was doing that the 6 was a better "all rounder." If I had the space I'd probably have the 6 and polychain two Tetras, but maybe at some point in the future. Not now. Diva is fine, but I actually feel it sounds a little dead compared to the real thing. Maybe that's my imagination, but my imagination is my favorite thing. :lol:
[ I'm not the OP with the 08 ;) Was just mentioning that I preferred the Diva audio in the shoot-out/sell out ]

rosschehayeb wrote:Hey guys. Didn't mean to start, yet another analog vs digital debate.
B.S.
rosschehayeb wrote:Just trying to say that diva sounds amazing. I've never heard a soft synth like it and it deserves a place right along side my analog gear and it's not considered a compromise.
You should get out more. (or stay in more?) Instruments from a bunch of developers do a really good job at analog emulations. Roland, XILS, GForce, NI...

I
rosschehayeb wrote:n my particular circumstances, I think the only analog gear I'm going to have is monophonic synths. I feel good about relying on diva/zebra for my polyphonic needs, as well as an addition to my mono synths. For being on a tight budget, this seems like the way to go for me personally, but for you guys, I'm sure it's different for everyone.
Sure, that's fair. Do what you want, but when you start throwing out words like "better" without qualifiers like, "I think," then you're going to raise a ruckus. I had Diva and a Prophet 08 at the same time and I used both quite a lot together. If I wanted a sort of warm "wooly" kid of pad, I'd always go for the 08. Also, like I mentioned earlier, the 08 just has a lot of functionality that Diva does not have. Extra EG, two more LFOs (well, you can use the Moog oscs as LFOs I guess...) step sequencer as mod source... If you don't use all of those features, sure, put it up on eBay. There are plenty of people who love the 08.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Lol, zerocrossing just started displaying a red indicator light.

zerocrossing wrote: B.S.

You should get out more.
lol...
:ud:

Urs wrote:Lol, zerocrossing just started displaying a red indicator light.
Oh that thing? It's been stuck on for years!

<(`^´)>
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I prefer Diva over analog hardware because it weighs nothing, doesn't need an extra power plug, doesn't require an audio interface and cables, holds its tuning (or I can choose to let it drift), I can have more than one of them for no extra cost, doesn't require messing with midi clock messages to sync it with everything else, doesn't require me to deal with ground hum issues, gets free updates, is polyphonic for far less than the cost of current monophonic analogs, and the pots don't wear out.

It also sounds great to my ears.
Feel free to call me Brian.

bmrzycki wrote:I prefer Diva over analog hardware because it weighs nothing, doesn't need an extra power plug, doesn't require an audio interface and cables, holds its tuning (or I can choose to let it drift), I can have more than one of them for no extra cost, doesn't require messing with midi clock messages to sync it with everything else, doesn't require me to deal with ground hum issues, gets free updates, is polyphonic for far less than the cost of current monophonic analogs, and the pots don't wear out.

+1 again...

bmrzycki wrote:I prefer Diva over analog hardware because it weighs nothing, doesn't need an extra power plug, doesn't require an audio interface and cables, holds its tuning (or I can choose to let it drift), I can have more than one of them for no extra cost, doesn't require messing with midi clock messages to sync it with everything else, doesn't require me to deal with ground hum issues, gets free updates, is polyphonic for far less than the cost of current monophonic analogs, and the pots don't wear out.

It does. One thing I really like about it is the feedback/filter module that lives between the oscillator and the main filter. That really makes it do some very cool stuff. I took some lead patch I was using and in a few minutes I had a really nice BoC style pad.

It could totally use some more modulation though. Some extra LFOs, EGs, a step sequencer like the 08... And a way to increase the feedback gain. I want to hear that thing howl!
Zerocrossing Media

zerocrossing wrote:It could totally use some more modulation though. Some extra LFOs, EGs, a step sequencer like the 08... And a way to increase the feedback gain. I want to hear that thing howl!
I'm with you here. I have confidence that Urs and team will add several of these features over time and more. I recall Urs saying somewhere that Diva is by far their most successful plugin and it'd be a bad move if they didn't continue to enhance it. :)
Feel free to call me Brian.

Tl;dr
Try Prophet 6 and it's head above Prophet 8 in terms of sound and sometimes sound better than Diva... Atho Sean "VallhallaDSP" Costello says opposite :hihi:
Murderous duck!

Return to “u-he”