Zebra's oscillators

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ive been wondering this for a while intermittently, but i couldnt understand why the default position on oscillators was in the middle.......but i think i understand now.........its in the middle because that is the 0 degrees phase right? i usually end up turning it all the way to the left on like kick patches.....because it started to seem like leaving the osc in the default middle position would kill the initial transient....
but then from new understanding of waves, it would make sense the the middle was the default.....
the value for the middle is 50.....with zero being totally to the left...so

it doesnt say in the manual so i was just wondering

and i was also wondering if anyone has graphic representations of the FMOs like what does the double sine mean...like what does it look like......and dual AM sine...i'm looking online...like it would be helpful to see them so you could see where the phases are etc....because you cant change FMO phases...right? so i was think that maybe you made the FMOs have different phases like the waveform sine shift? like how much is it shifted by etc....haha

thanks
Sincerely,
Zethus, twin son of Zeus

The phase knob is in the middle because it makes the most sense when using the feature that adds an inverted version of the waveform (I can't remember the name at the moment), as it will give you a perfect square when using a saw wave.

If I remember correctly, the default position for the phase knob used to be 0 in earlier versions of Zebra, by the way.

The additional waveforms of the FMOs are from the Yamaha TX81Z.
Here is a pretty picture of the waveforms:

Regarding phase in general: You shouldn't get too technical about it. Just try different settings and see what works best for you. It never hurts to have an understanding of the technical mechanics behind stuff, of course.

ok thanks, quadric shift and sine shift are like half the cycle...which means that there is no voltage change for half the cycle?...why? what are the implications...i just looked at them all on oscilloscope.

so these are not the same as tx81z............
Last edited by zethus909 on Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sincerely,
Zethus, twin son of Zeus

NerdMcBoon wrote: Regarding phase in general: You shouldn't get too technical about it. Just try different settings and see what works best for you. It never hurts to have an understanding of the technical mechanics behind stuff, of course.
Zebra is nerd synth. It's exactly about being technical and too technical :party: Guys who don't want to be technical are using Hive.
Last edited by david.beholder on Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Murderous duck!

david.beholder wrote:
NerdMcBoon wrote: Regarding phase in general: You shouldn't get too technical about it. Just try different settings and see what works best for you. It never hurts to have an understanding of the technical mechanics behind stuff, of course.
Diva is nerd synth. It's exactly about being technical and too technical :party: Guys who don't want to be technical are using Hive.
Zebra?
:)

BDeep wrote:Zebra?
Thanks. Fixed.
Murderous duck!

david.beholder wrote:
BDeep wrote:Zebra?
Thanks. Fixed.
Oscilloscopes show changes in Voltage over time. The greater the change in voltage, the greater the change in electrical current (the more charge carriers) there are passing over a fixed amount of time...

...you have these two waves...sine shift and quadric shift...they both have half the cycle showing no change in voltage over their last half...or during 180 to 360 degrees of the full cycle

so what does that mean...in terms of oscillators in Zebra...doesnt that mean that at very low Hz like at minimum on the FMOs that there is effectively no oscillator during the last half of the cycle...so if you are using FM at LFO levels....as the carrier...you will have silence coming from the oscillator during the last half of the cycle.. so for 500 ms their is effectively no carrier signal...'
Sincerely,
Zethus, twin son of Zeus

There is a carrier signal, but it's zero (big difference).
Now usually you wouldn't use them at frequencies that are so low that there would be an audible silence. In fact, with frequencies like that, the non-zero part of the wave wouldn't be audible as well.
The fact that you cycle the wave in an audible frequency makes for interesting timbres.

The phase may be important for the transient phase of a bass sound for instance. Or, when you FM one osc with the other, the resulting wave of the two combined waves may be different depending on the phase shift.

Also, in some cases the difference is obvious, in other cases hardly discernible.

so is the phase at 0degrees when the knob is in the middle default position? or is it at 180degrees
Sincerely,
Zethus, twin son of Zeus

ok i am doing a test. right now. i have two oscillators...identical both sinewaves set to retrigger phase...

i turn the 1st oscillator's phase all the way to the left....and the 2nd oscillator all the way to the right.....and they cancel eachother out....it is silence....

this therefore proves that when the phase knob is at the center (default) value.....it is actually at 180degrees phase...and not 0 degrees :roll: :nutter:
Sincerely,
Zethus, twin son of Zeus

Nonono... sine waves cancel each other out when they're 180° out of phase, so the centre is 90°.

hehe whoops that's what I meant. which I think is weird because the default of 90 isn't at the waveforms "atmospheric pressure" state etc. whatevs :ud:
Sincerely,
Zethus, twin son of Zeus

I hope its okay if I ask a couple of questions here in this thread, regarding Zebra2 oscillators. I been looking for answer all over the web but did not find anything. I owned Zebra2 for quit a while but only recently started to design sounds of my own with it. I did not find any pure sine tone wave shapes, so I wonder if there are any in the factory library?
Next question is if it is possible to load up other wave tables except for the ones coming with Zebra2 originally?

Cheers!
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

ATN69 wrote:I hope its okay if I ask a couple of questions here in this thread, regarding Zebra2 oscillators. I been looking for answer all over the web but did not find anything. I owned Zebra2 for quit a while but only recently started to design sounds of my own with it. I did not find any pure sine tone wave shapes, so I wonder if there are any in the factory library?
Next question is if it is possible to load up other wave tables except for the ones coming with Zebra2 originally?

Cheers!
Obviously all I had to do was to ask the question and then I found my missing sine waves :P ..but one question still remain and that is if its possible to load up more wave tables in Zebra2?
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

ATN69 wrote:
ATN69 wrote:I hope its okay if I ask a couple of questions here in this thread, regarding Zebra2 oscillators. I been looking for answer all over the web but did not find anything. I owned Zebra2 for quit a while but only recently started to design sounds of my own with it. I did not find any pure sine tone wave shapes, so I wonder if there are any in the factory library?

Cheers!
Obviously all I had to do was to ask the question and then I found my missing sine waves :P ..but one question still remain and that is if its possible to load up more wave tables in Zebra2?
Yes, you can. In the folder "Zebra2\Modules\Oscillator", you can add h2p wavetable files. You can find those tables overhere:

http://www.u-he.com/PatchLib/zebra.html#mseg

Return to “u-he”