Zebra HZ: Weird corruption of LP Xcite

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, first of all, I'm a big fan of u-he and Zebra. I may have spoke to some of you as J_S_N a few years ago.

The problem: Can't use LP Xcite on Zebra HZ on one of my computers, unfortunately the main one. It puts out a very strong signal upon receiving a note on. It looks like DC on JS oscilloscope/s(M)exoscope. Span shows a half of a sine looking thing at the left edge. Automutes the tracks involved. Daw is REAPER.
-A note off won't stop it. Pause or Stop then Play will.
-If I switch the filter type or double click disabled one in module area after pressing a note, it works. Soon as it gets a new note on it shows the problem.
-Zebra 2 on the machine in question does not show the problem, nor Zebra HZ on my laptop.

Some things I have done recently.
----Downloaded all or nearly all patches from the patch bank. I have placed the following ones in the folder system I use for patches: 3ee (all I think), Ambient voices demo pack, Bell builder, KVR choirs, Nick Moritz(Blaster,Stinger, and Progressive house banks). The others I have not placed there yet. This has not been done on the laptop.
----Reaper updates. I have not put the latest one on the laptop yet. (I went back a few versions on the main machine for a brief spell to check behavior of zooming which seemed really laggy, but didn't notice a difference. Then reinstalled latest version.)
----New Logitech mouse and gaming software install. I just bought it for the buttons. Computer is not used for games or connected to internet. It's specs are: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4820k @ 3.70 ghz 3.70 ghz / 16 gb ram / 64 bit. Windows 7 professional Service pack 1. This software not installed on laptop.

Examples of factory patches that show the problem:
HS Harmonicat (Z2)
HS Hyperbright (Z2)
Bane Drone (HZ)
Zingtar (HZ)

Any ideas?

I loaded and tested all the patches you listed:
HS Harmonicat (Z2)
HS Hyperbright (Z2)
Bane Drone (HZ)
Zingtar (HZ)
Into the VST 64 version of HZ, version 3808. I'm on Win10 build 14393 x64 and Reaper v5.22. I'm running my sound card at 48K, 64 samples. I couldn't get any of them to exhibit the strong auto-muted signal you described and I played with each for a good 5 mins or so. I didn't record any notes, just used a MIDI controller in realtime. You have a newer CPU than me (mine is an i7-3xxx) so I don't think it's cpu extensions.

What version of HZ are you using? Are there any other differences you can think of between your laptop and my system?
Feel free to call me Brian.

Did you try the different compatibility settings in Reaper?
- Run as separate process
- Buggy plugin compatibility mode

Thanks a lot for your time guys. I don't know if I should use :clown: or :oops: or maybe :dog:

Anyway the problem seems to have "gone away." I had restarted the computer several times while trying to make sense of the situation yesterday before posting. This morning I transferred several free reverb plugins to my VST folders (32 and 64) started REAPER watched it scan them as expected and soon after loaded a track with Zebra HZ. LP Xcite worked fine!? Could it have something to do with the scanning process?

Something I forgot to mention in the first post: I recently ran the installer for the Helm synth they are using in the OSC this month. I had the problem reported - about the host saying it was unable to start because a certain Windows gadget was missing. Unlike the member who posted that, I just gave up on Helm at that point and did not pursue the download mentioned. However I have not uninstalled it yet from my machine. I'm not a VST addict, I just figured I needed to look into some different reverbs (the plugins mentioned in the first paragraph). Other than that just Tunefish4 and Podolski in the last few months, I think. I have used HZ since those two however, and the default patch I use makes use of Xcite, so it's unlikely (not impossible, I suppose) that I skipped past the problem during that time. I did have a few crashes using Tunefish4. When I bothered looking at the report it was an App Hang actually.

Laptop is not the machine that showed the problem. It's a tower from Blue Cat. Going by memory, I think it was HZ 2.6.1... I have not bothered with any updates for quite a while because it seemed to be working fine. HZ on laptop is 2.5.4. I don't really use the laptop much. I think I'm on 44.1 k. Not sure about the buffer. I have switched it around before without problems, for live guitar, etc, but not lately. I think it's back up to a larger value. I don't bother updating Windows either. Computer is in a building with no internet, and hasn't been online since end of 2013. I transfer things with flash drive usually.

As far as the Reaper settings, I'll check when I get back there. I have had prefs and things change after an update before. HZ has been rock solid for me for a long time. It's totally my go to...hopefully this is a momentary thing.

maybe it was a weird buffer size or something?

Anyhow, glad it's gone - the code for that filter is 11 years old, it should be rock solid.

Thanks Mr. H! I probably shouldn't say this, because I'm not 100% certain, but it seems like having the red mute switch below the module lanes engaged was not enough to stop it. It was a very strong signal. Had to turn track volume way down to stop it from going past 0. None of the other filter types seemed to be doing it.

I plan on using HZ a lot in the next week or so, and I will try to keep more careful records of any settings or things I may be bothering, in case it happens again.

Return to “u-he”