Can any of you guys get close to this Jupiter 6 patch in Diva?

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey all,

I'm wondering if any of you can get Diva in the territory of this Jupiter 6 patch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEoYmoiEETo

It's the opening patch. (starts at 0:03.)

I can kind of approach the general character, and I can even emulate the pitch bend thing I think, but it's not quite there. I can't quite explain everything that's going on in that patch and I usually do these things by ear but I can't seem to match this one. I think it's a stock Jupiter 6 patch though. I'd be interested in demystifying it and perhaps some other factory patches like it.

I'll get home and give it a shot and share it with you, you can see the settings super easily on the panel itself so it shouldnt be a big project, i detect some sort of subtle glide action that maybe what is missing in your attempt?
other than that, slowing down the video and duplicating the settings in Diva should be a peach in no time! :tu:
But then a strange fear gripped me
and I just couldn't ask....

Thanks mate. Much appreciated. Cheers. :)

That is a really great sound there.
I think Diva can do it. I'll try in the morning.
Love that amazing sound.

Yeah I agree. Lots of the patches that ship with Diva are a little on the modern side. I wonder if there is an interest in recreating some of the factory patches that shipped with the Jupiter 6 or some of the more vintage-y sounding stuff that I hear in the Jupiter 6 demos on youtube usually? Diva should be able to pull off everything the Jupiter 6 can pull off really given that it's an accurate model.

It also helps if you are Katsunori-san. He always seems to genuinely happy using synths. :)
Feel free to call me Brian.

Careful! Youtube-Synth-Video-Problem: There are effects like reverb on the recording. The Jupiter-6 doesn't have reverb or anything. Therefore, not even a hardware Jupiter-6 will sound like what's on this video.

:ud:

Urs wrote:Careful! Youtube-Synth-Video-Problem: There are effects like reverb on the recording. The Jupiter-6 doesn't have reverb or anything. Therefore, not even a hardware Jupiter-6 will sound like what's on this video.

The user could always add/match the reverb :wink:

AnX wrote:
Urs wrote:Careful! Youtube-Synth-Video-Problem: There are effects like reverb on the recording. The Jupiter-6 doesn't have reverb or anything. Therefore, not even a hardware Jupiter-6 will sound like what's on this video.

The user could always add/match the reverb :wink:
Of course!

However, it's very common that people post about synth demos on Youtube and suggest that the synth actually sounds like in the video - when in reality it's drenched in effects.

I think those videos don't represent the specific character or sound of a synthesizer at all. They show off the features of a synth, and what the synth *could* sound like with the right amount of processing.

I think it would be better if synth presentation videos also actually detailed the effects chain, and how hot the synth was run into the mixing desk. Otherwise we (u-he and others) will forever go the emotional rollercoaster when someone comes up with a synth demo that "proves" how our software "fails" to sound like it should (that wasn't the case in this particular thread, but it happens like, uhm, frequently).

- Urs

Urs wrote: Otherwise we (u-he and others) will forever go the emotional rollercoaster when someone comes up with a synth demo that "proves" how our software "fails" to sound like it should (that wasn't the case in this particular thread, but it happens like, uhm, frequently).

- Urs
I'll bet it's even more common for someone to buy gear based on a "sound", only to find out they can't get that "sound" out of the gear they purchased. Leading to such threads as "these new releases are crap".
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

SJ_Digriz wrote:
Urs wrote: Otherwise we (u-he and others) will forever go the emotional rollercoaster when someone comes up with a synth demo that "proves" how our software "fails" to sound like it should (that wasn't the case in this particular thread, but it happens like, uhm, frequently).

- Urs
I'll bet it's even more common for someone to buy gear based on a "sound", only to find out they can't get that "sound" out of the gear they purchased. Leading to such threads as "these new releases are crap".
Yep, like that infamous mp3 with a Virus trance arpeggio that could not be recreated with a Virus itself unless it was compressed to a brick.

Of course. And I understand that. I know the Jupiter has no effects of any kind as well. The point of this isn't to illustrate "how the software fails" or to go on an "emotional rollercoaster". I don't think the software fails at all. It's wonderful. And I've learned to tame a bit whereby I can match lots of these videos I see. Usually backing off the effects completely, and I mean I switch off the onboard effects typically but sometimes add them on an aux track if I decide it helps, and panning voices and perhaps detuning per voice. Less is more to get to that vintage character. And I think the Diva starts to excel at that once you apply this approach.

Videos aren't a perfect indication of character perhaps completely but partially surely. Maybe their usefulness lies less so in matching the original always to perfection and more so when you start using them to inform you about where the synth "could" go? Educational aspect and inspiration aspect in other words. At least that's what I'm interested in.

I don't want this thread to turn into "obviously the real thing is so and so and the model isn't etc etc". That is firstly false and secondly completely besides the point. I like the sound. I'd like to learn how to make it. That's the point. And to perhaps facilitate a useful discussion around sound design. Listening and using your ears to apply what you hear.

Apologies if I gave the impression that the intent was to attempt to discredit the software. Not at all. I bought Diva in 2012 and have not had a single moment of regret. Yesterday I was playing it along side my newly acquired Prophet 6 and I swear it's hard to decide which sound to apply to a track between these two. They are soooo on par and both so classy that my biggest problem is really just deciding between the two aesthetics. And that's the biggest compliment I can pay it.

So can we please focus on the real meaning of the thread? Just to educate a bit and inspire. Cheers.

I was getting some flavor of that patch with a couple of the horn patchs in the poly folder of DIVA. Turned up some detune a bit. However, chorus, echo and reverb are all required. It isn't exact and I didn't spend much time trying either though.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

nevernamed wrote:Apologies if I gave the impression that the intent was to attempt to discredit the software.
No no, all is good, which I meant by the last sentence here:
Urs wrote:(that wasn't the case in this particular thread, but it happens like, uhm, frequently)
My point was simply that synth presentations on Youtube are often hyped by effects.

I actually might have a minute. I'll see if Preset 1-4 in our Jupiter 6 is that one, but I don't even remember if we have the factory presets loaded or not. I might then be able to record it dry for a better comparison (can't promise today though).

Urs wrote:
nevernamed wrote:Apologies if I gave the impression that the intent was to attempt to discredit the software.
No no, all is good, which I meant by the last sentence here:
Urs wrote:(that wasn't the case in this particular thread, but it happens like, uhm, frequently)
My point was simply that synth presentations on Youtube are often hyped by effects.

I actually might have a minute. I'll see if Preset 1-4 in our Jupiter 6 is that one, but I don't even remember if we have the factory presets loaded or not. I might then be able to record it dry for a better comparison (can't promise today though).
Awesome! Thanks mate. Much appreciated.

I understand your point for sure. And it's an important one to make I think given that a lot of threads like this are an attempt to do just what you say :(.

Return to “u-he”