Anything new coming to HIVE soon?

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

surreal wrote:if it worked on a video while you unintentionally filmed it.
It wasn't filmed and the feature was never implemented. It was an idea.

But you're right, we should have pulled the video. We tried to figure out what to do (hence the hexagon thread), but reality has interfered with the possibilities big time. Firstly, there wasn't any time to do anything about it, secondly we realized that the design approach was a mistake. So nothing happened in the hexagon and nothing will happen. Instead, it'll disappear in the next major UI update. Which of course also renders the video useless.

I feel like I'm showing up late to this party, but I always though the extra area would be for an X/Y pad. Other folks have mentioned using it for having some way of changing/altering the basic OSC shapes, and that could be cool too. Something that -enhances- Hive without making it some monster do-all synth seems reasonable enough, but then again Hive is pretty good as it is. :)

Urs wrote:
However, there are also other concepts and synthesis types that we could deploy. I tested the waters for a pad type synthesis early on, which got mixed results. I might try that again with a different demo. This was the demo from 2014:

http://www.u-he.com/downloads/Hive/HiveBell.mp3
See the problem with that sound is that it's diametrically opposed to what Hive is currently about.

But maybe the same synthesis engine do less 80s DX sounds, because a bell sound is a mixture of harmonic and inharmonic tones evolving over time, and some of the more interesting sounds of the last 5-10 years have come from playing with harmonic ratios?

I also wonder if there are any waveforms that sound ugly when played solo, but epic as a 16 voice heavily detuned unison?
Last edited by knowix on Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Double post
Last edited by knowix on Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Double post

knowix wrote:
Urs wrote:
However, there are also other concepts and synthesis types that we could deploy. I tested the waters for a pad type synthesis early on, which got mixed results. I might try that again with a different demo. This was the demo from 2014:

See the problem with that sound is that it's diametrically opposed to what Hive is currently about.

But maybe the same synthesis engine do less 80s DX sounds, because a bell sound is a mixture of harmonic and inharmonic tones evolving over time, and some of the more interesting sounds of the last 5-10 years have come from playing with harmonic ratios?

I also wonder if there are any waveforms that sound ugly when played solo, but epic as a 16 voice heavily detuned unison?
I'd welcome this feature. I think if it's some kind of synthesis method then this DX style example is just one possibility. If it generates FM style sounds, well those are very suitable for modern music, they don't have to be programed to sound like old DX sounds.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Perimeter Sound wrote:I feel like I'm showing up late to this party, but I always though the extra area would be for an X/Y pad. Other folks have mentioned using it for having some way of changing/altering the basic OSC shapes, and that could be cool too. Something that -enhances- Hive without making it some monster do-all synth seems reasonable enough, but then again Hive is pretty good as it is. :)
I agree with this idea.
It should be simple to add these ideas from Zebra into Hive.
One xy, and one oscillator effect knob with various menu choices.
Hive is a great synth.

mcnoone wrote:
Perimeter Sound wrote:I feel like I'm showing up late to this party, but I always though the extra area would be for an X/Y pad. Other folks have mentioned using it for having some way of changing/altering the basic OSC shapes, and that could be cool too. Something that -enhances- Hive without making it some monster do-all synth seems reasonable enough, but then again Hive is pretty good as it is. :)
I agree with this idea.
It should be simple to add these ideas from Zebra into Hive.
One xy, and one oscillator effect knob with various menu choices.
Hive is a great synth.

Plus 1
Rsp
sound sculptist

knowix wrote:See the problem with that sound is that it's diametrically opposed to what Hive is currently about.
Which is exactly the point of it. Why add something that's in line with what Hive already does? Why not add something that uses the same interface to do something completely different?

OTOH I think that Supersaw stuff is very related to Pad Synthesis in that both create spectra with vague tuning. It's not that far off of vast unison of nasal or formant-ish waveforms, but with another degree of aliveness.

Is this pad synthesis approach similar to the PADsynth algorithm? I.e., the one described here: http://zynaddsubfx.sourceforge.net/doc/ ... Dsynth.htm

If so, I agree that it would beautifully complement the current unison/supersaw. That algo can provide a wide range of sounds with rich and evolving harmonics. I'm not sure how that would be implemented in Hive, though, as I'm not sure if it's possible to do the inverse FFT for the whole wavetable in real time... So maybe it's a different approach?

drakmaniso wrote:I'm not sure how that would be implemented in Hive, though, as I'm not sure if it's possible to do the inverse FFT for the whole wavetable in real time... So maybe it's a different approach?
The original Pad Synthesis algorithm uses inverse FFT to create a large looping sample per note. Nowadays however one can run hundreds of sine oscillators in realtime. So instead of creating a looping multisample, one can just run the whole spectrum made out of harmonics in realtime. So a voice with, say, 200-300 harmonics will cost as much CPU as, say, a Hive patch with 30 to 50 unison sawtooth oscillators, i.e. it's doable.

The main advantage of the Pad Synthesis algorithm is the set of parameters that allow for interesting alterations with few tweaks (formants, cluster densities and so on). The advantage of doing it realtime is that we can control these parameters on the fly (think Harmor, Razor or Alchemy).

I'm going to devote a few months on this next year anyway, it's going to be part of a new Zebra module.

Thanks for the explanation! I didn't think a few hundred sines would be so cheap...

I can't wait to play with it, whether it ends up in Zebra or Hive (or both! ^ ^ )...

Urs wrote:However, there are also other concepts and synthesis types that we could deploy. I tested the waters for a pad type synthesis early on, which got mixed results. I might try that again with a different demo. This was the demo from 2014:

That sounds interesting. But a bell sound has a limited appeal, so you can't be surprised if you get a limited response.
The more demos the better. The more varied the demos the better still. You can never have too many demos. :hihi:
Urs wrote:(note: this was done with an alpha that had an experimental pad synthesis engine on board... it's been sitting orphaned on my drive since)
:( Poor orphan. So sad :(
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:

Urs wrote: The main advantage of the Pad Synthesis algorithm is the set of parameters that allow for interesting alterations with few tweaks (formants, cluster densities and so on). The advantage of doing it realtime is that we can control these parameters on the fly (think Harmor, Razor or Alchemy).
Sounds like a great evolution for Hive.

Urs wrote:As we're redesigning the UI we might sneak some other improvements in. Not sure yet what this is going to look like.

However, nothing like it is likely to happen this quarter anymore.
It would be awesome if hive would follow the road of usability and the new UI would add stuff like modulation indicators around buttons. For example I really like the way serum visualizes modulations. Another example is the beautiful skin for zebra (http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=456163).

Return to “u-he”