Any chance of Diva getting a mod matrix?

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Diva

there are quite a few useful things that could be done with a mod matrix in diva. It's one of the few things keeping me from buying it at this point. Simple stuff like modulating envelope stages with an lfo or with the mod wheel would be enough, but with the analogue-ness being the bog selling point it would be cool to have a matrix with all the oscillators and everything available as sources and destinations. I realize that the second scenario would be crazy CPU intensive and the programming would be beyond tricky since the available parameters change when you switch out oscillators and whatnot, but still. Any chance of seeing even a rudimentary one where simple parameters can be modulated by the LFOs, velocity, aftertouch, etc?
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

At the moment, ModMatrices and Multicore are mutually exclusive. Hence Zebra, Hive, Repro-1 and MFM2 have them (but no Multicore) while ACE, Bazille and Diva have Multicore support (but no ModMatrices).

That's because internally ModMatrices are solved by simply "temporarily turning the knobs during processing" which is really cool because it costs nearly no overhead at all - in most cases no extra CPU, no extra development time and no memory overhead. However, this doesn't function when things run in parallel - we would need copies of the parameter sets for each voice and thus more CPU and memory. Which we might optionally do at some point, but I can't say if or when.

I see. I figured it would be tricky. Tis a bummer.

I will say that, being probably the last person on earth to check this lovely synth out, I was surprised by how little CPU is used up by it. If it would give me a mod matrix I could stand a bit more CPU consumption. Just sayin. Anyhow good work. Trying to have things sound "analog" is not really my thing, but this does pull it off remarkably well.

JJ

Urs wrote:
That's because internally ModMatrices are solved by simply "temporarily turning the knobs during processing" which is really cool because it costs nearly no overhead at all - in most cases no extra CPU, no extra development time and no memory overhead.
Soooooooo... If it's super easy ( "no development time" which I'm sure is quite the overstatement) to have mono sounds with a mod matrix because no multi threading is happening with a mono sound........ What are the chances that this could happen. I'd pay a higher price for diva if it had this. It's really the only reason I don't own it. "Analog" stuff is a bit large and the only time I want that type of sound is on a bass or a lead which would be mono anyway. I never did like any of the analog poly synths I've played with past simple duo phonic things.

Anyway I would pay to test this out if it was really as simple as all that and would only work in mono mode or if it was a more complicated implementation that would cost more CPU.
I'm faking my way around it with the demo at the moment by using a subhost and "fast" parameter automation, but it's a bit of a hassle. I just can't pull the trigger on buying it yet.

So. Maybe I'll just pop up here every few days and bother you some about this. I'm already gonna definitely buy the pro one emu as it was the first synth I ever got my hands on. I'm just rambling now. Diva is too lovely sounding to be so non expressive when it's played is my point.

JJ

Ah_Dziz wrote:Diva is too lovely sounding to be so non expressive when it's played is my point.
Diva is a perfectly expressive synth. I think there's no real need for a mod matrix in it, and Howard's patches continue to prove how expressive it can be with what's in there already.

Ah_Dziz wrote:Diva is too lovely sounding to be so non expressive when it's played is my point.

JJ
There is quite a bit of modulation in Diva. It is very expressive... very playable. You can modulate cross-mod, resonance, filter FM, noise, osc pitch, pw, osc shape or other on the digital osc... 2 cutoff modulators plus keyboard, morph on the uhbie filter can be modulated.

You also have a quantizer, rectifier and lag generator and can add and multiply 2 sources. As sources you can use any midi controls like pitch, modwheel, AT, expression pedal, velocity, breath, plus you have random, stack index and voice map.

That is a lot of capability. And if you want to go crazy with monophonic sounds, you can already do that using automation. I use Bitwig which is super easy to add LFO's and modulate any parameters. And of course you also can use midi learn to control Diva parameters with any sliders and/or knobs on your midi controller.

I think it is more flexible than it might seem at first! This is played realtime in Diva. There are no Bitwig devices or drawn automation. Just Diva modulation options and using expression pedal, modwheel and AT.

http://draigathar.org/sounds/Diva-12.mp3

Wow that is spooky impressive. Lots of modulation going on there. How many instances of Diva is that? Don't tell me it's 1 or I will fall over. :)
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:

spunkmuffin wrote:
Wow that is spooky impressive. Lots of modulation going on there. How many instances of Diva is that? Don't tell me it's 1 or I will fall over. :)
Hope you have a soft landing :-)

1 instance of Diva, played realtime :tu:

Holy Mother of Mary! Really?! Ouch! How'd you do that?
Please don't post any patches! I wanna work this out myself...might take some time haha.
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:

Is there some reason why filter cutoff is not a modulation target whilst filter resonance is? (Feeling quite stupid for asking this -- figured it out with a bit more exploration -- I've not used Diva much yet.)

Chalisque wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:34 pm Is there some reason why filter cutoff is not a modulation target whilst filter resonance is?
Possibly because filter cutoff actually has 3 modulation sources on the VCF panel, two of which are retargettable?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Sounds like a job for Diva 2 - multi core probably could be dropped in the sequel as long as the CPU load doesn’t go way up, it already uses more CPU toggled on (just obviously is able to spread that load across cores)

MitchK1989 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:12 pm Sounds like a job for Diva 2 - multi core probably could be dropped in the sequel as long as the CPU load doesn’t go way up, it already uses more CPU toggled on (just obviously is able to spread that load across cores)
RePro-5 has both multi-core and a matrix. I think they worked out how to do that on newer products in the years since this thread has started. I'd certainly appreciate a matrix in any potential Diva 2 but we're certainly years away from that prospect.

yeah, I didn't realize when I posted that this was a 5 year old discussion that had been recently resurrected.

I realize we're probably a few years out from a diva 2 but I am excited to see what it could bring with all the lessons learned (especially on UI) from hive 2, repro, etc.

Return to “u-he”