Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise

Diva 2 Wishlist

brick
KVRian

616 posts since 11 Dec, 2003

Postby brick; Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:48 am Re: Diva 2 Wishlist

Yeah I dont think the Frequensteiner or Brute nail the Synthacon's filter . Tough synth to get a hold of . RL Music had a couple of them for sale recently , but wanted absurd money for them .

Whats the similar filter you're thinking of for Zebra ?
Tp3
KVRAF

2010 posts since 7 Feb, 2007

Postby Tp3; Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:13 am Re: Diva 2 Wishlist

Urs wrote:I think that, given there is no "perfect" specimen of any brand of synth, I'd rather do one that sounds best within the boundaries of the underlying model. Doesn't mean it should sound "off", just means it should sound "cooked to perfection". If the result is a better sounding synth, then f accuracy.

Oh man... can I quote you ? :clap:

Arif Mardin said that some 50 odd years ago, a technician taught him (with regards to EQing) that "If it sounds right, it must be right".

Fortunately, you're at the position of saying such thing without being "stoned to death, for uttering the name of our Lord" :D

BTW

Not reading the whole topic, I first thought you added an "F" option in "accuracy" section of cpu usage, and I wondered what that is :hihi:
I Clip therefore I AM
-
I'm a ZERO dB DR WannaB
-
YouTube ? iTube !
Urs
u-he

21165 posts since 7 Aug, 2002, from Berlin

Postby Urs; Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:41 am Re: Diva 2 Wishlist

brick wrote:Yeah I dont think the Frequensteiner or Brute nail the Synthacon's filter . Tough synth to get a hold of . RL Music had a couple of them for sale recently , but wanted absurd money for them .

Whats the similar filter you're thinking of for Zebra ?

Ian Fritz's Threeler :clown:

(not sure yet though, but I like the idea of combining topologies in an unconventional way...)
brick
KVRian

Postby brick; Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:30 am Re: Diva 2 Wishlist

Holy f*** . Favourite filter in my rack . If that made its way into Z3.... :party: :hyper: :hail:
Urs
u-he

Postby Urs; Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:23 am Re: Diva 2 Wishlist

Well, hehe, I don't have one yet. As I said, I just like the idea. It won't be an exact copy. I do have some ideas that'd make it a nice addition though, I'm sure ;-)
knowix
KVRist

207 posts since 12 Nov, 2011

Postby knowix; Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:59 pm Re: Diva 2 Wishlist

I'm curious how a Buchla oscillator would sound within a polysynth framework. Is the dual oscillator the source of bell like inharmonic sounds?

I still think something based on audio samples would vastly expand Diva's sonic range. Maybe emulating certain styles of vintage digital sounds could work a lot better than getting bogged down emulating a specific piece of hardware?

So sounds like all those Sararr based pads, or those wavetable "gdunk" bass sounds. And of course those dangerously crisp bells and chimes. So say two or three digital oscillators that can do basic wavetable scanning and modulatable waveform mixing. The sounds could be generated from fresh samples, meaning no copyright issues.

Though the fact that vintage digital hybrid synths didn't really work their analogue filters hard, means that maybe this type of thing is better left to Zebra. But perhaps it's as much a financial decision, as sonic. What's the crossover between Diva and Zebra users etc.
brick
KVRian

Postby brick; Wed May 03, 2017 6:58 am Re: Diva 2 Wishlist

Urs wrote:Well, hehe, I don't have one yet. As I said, I just like the idea. It won't be an exact copy. I do have some ideas that'd make it a nice addition though, I'm sure ;-)

Here you go Urs :)

http://synthcube.com/cart/ian-fritz-thr ... ption=true
pabloaldunate
KVRer

13 posts since 7 Oct, 2012

Postby pabloaldunate; Sat May 13, 2017 11:44 am Re: Diva 2 Wishlist

Diva could have better mousewheel support. Knobs behave a little weird when dragging with an Apple mouse.
Urs
u-he

Postby Urs; Sun May 14, 2017 12:20 am Re: Diva 2 Wishlist

pabloaldunate wrote:Diva could have better mousewheel support. Knobs behave a little weird when dragging with an Apple mouse.

There's a preference for that... check out the mouse options and set to "not rastered".
justin3am
KVRAF

10111 posts since 7 May, 2006, from Southern California

Postby justin3am; Sun May 14, 2017 1:22 am Re: Diva 2 Wishlist

Urs wrote:Ian Fritz's Threeler :clown:

(not sure yet though, but I like the idea of combining topologies in an unconventional way...)

That would be lots of fun. The Mankato is another great filter along similar lines. Both benefit greatly from a polarizing mixer and some cross faders. Using a joystick as a vector mixer to combine slope outputs, is fantastic.

Switched Cap filters are really interesting too. Bin-n-tic, Bionic Lester. Certainly a different kind of character, great for aggressive sounds. Probably further into Bazille or Zebra territory.

I wonder if you've thought about primitive digital oscillator models for Diva. Like OPL, SID, OSCar, Syntauri, etc. Some have a lot of character and can sound super lush with nice filters. Maybe Diva's too classy for that kind of thing.
pabloaldunate
KVRer

13 posts since 7 Oct, 2012

Postby pabloaldunate; Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:15 pm Re: Diva 2 Wishlist

Urs wrote:
pabloaldunate wrote:Diva could have better mousewheel support. Knobs behave a little weird when dragging with an Apple mouse.

There's a preference for that... check out the mouse options and set to "not rastered".

Sorry but that didn't work on my machine. Mousewheel jumps when dragging bit.
Will Diva get the new preset browser that you are working on Repro-5? :D
Elektronisch
KVRAF

1695 posts since 3 Feb, 2010

Postby Elektronisch; Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:17 pm Re: Diva 2 Wishlist

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
alexpen wrote:
Future State wrote:Man, it's bothersome to see all of these comments about brightness. All of the other synths I've tried sound way too bright and sterile. Diva doesn't sound dull, it sounds warm, imo.

Regarding the "brighteness"... I honestly don't know what it is exactly: higher cutoff, more oversampling, different algorithms? But the difference is definitely there. Repro sounds absolutely great in this regard, Diva is not quite there.

Urs has commented on this. The filters in Diva all have the same ranges, which was calibrated to the Minimoog. The max cutoff in Diva is therefore around 20k, like the hardware Moog, whereas the Repro-1 filter, like the hardware, is closer to 40k. Hence why Diva isn't as bright. The comments may even have been in this thread if you want to look for them.

I actually a bit confused here. Diva to me always sounded dark and i always have to boost high frequencies to add some brightness in expensve of presenting some muddynes. Filters on Diva indeed sound pretty dark wich is strange, because for example The Legend wich is claimed to be almost 1:1 replica to minimoog sounds more cleaner and brighter. I know Diva doesnt have JP 80X0 filters, but i have played with JP 8080 and JP 8000 and theyr filters are way cleaner and brigter. Today im playing with Jupiter and Juno Plug-In versions from Roland Cloud, despite my amazement how close Diva sounds to Juno whom are claimed to be sounding almost 1:1 like real analog hardware counterparts i still hear significant difference in the brigtness and cleaness, Diva just sounds very dark.

I noticed this is also same with Zebra 2, Tyrell N6 and Ace. Repro, Hive and Bazille sounds much cleaner and brighter :)

Urs, maybe it would be a good idea to add a clean transparent filter or maybe some amp with EQ?
zosoaudo007
KVRer

20 posts since 25 Jan, 2008

Postby zosoaudo007; Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:05 pm Re: Diva 2 Wishlist

Things I'd like to see in Diva 2:

- Better stability and reliability with this baby. Every time I open a project and discover that a VST isn't working, it is with 90% likelihood that it's Diva.

- Ability to define accuracy modes (draft, great, excellent, etc...) for real-time and offline rendering.
Elektronisch
KVRAF

1695 posts since 3 Feb, 2010

Postby Elektronisch; Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:55 pm Re: Diva 2 Wishlist

zosoaudo007 wrote:Things I'd like to see in Diva 2:

- Better stability and reliability with this baby. Every time I open a project and discover that a VST isn't working, it is with 90% likelihood that it's Diva.

- Ability to define accuracy modes (draft, great, excellent, etc...) for real-time and offline rendering.

1. This is strange, uhe synths incl diva always works stable. Maybe something is wrong inside your box?
2. It has this ability for a long time. Are you using latest version?
Soarer
KVRian

566 posts since 19 Mar, 2004, from Copenhagen

Postby Soarer; Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:50 pm Re: Diva 2 Wishlist

Does this happen with Ableton Live? Sometimes when I open Live my synths do not remember their settings and play some initialized patch but it never happened with Diva. Just wondering if it's a Live problem.
PreviousNext

Moderator: u-he Mods

Return to u-he