Diva 2 Wishlist (purely hypothetical, nothing in development)

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
bg wrote:I don't understand.
Regarding 1., if CC15 controls osc1 Octave and CC16 controls osc1 Fine, the two CC's affect osc1 tune independently, no?
Try it out. If you look at the parameter names you'll see that Osc 2 just has a single Tune2 parameter. So while we're seeing 2 or 3 different knobs on the UI, on the back-end Diva just sees a single parameter. So making a fine adjustment via a MIDI CC doesn't turn the Osc2 Fine control from min to max like you'd expect, it cycles through course and octave tuning as well. Honestly, it's my biggest pet peeve with Diva.
bg wrote: Regarding 3., maybe I misunderstand, but the oscillator type (Minimoog, Digital, MS20, etc.) is midi learnable. I'm pretty sure I tried it and was surprised that changing modules via CC works.
You know what, it does! Thanks.
Try mapping 3 midi knobs like so:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9hmvnvgcvqrm0 ... 3.png?dl=0
Fine is working for me. The full range of the cc moves the on screen knob just a tiny bit.

bg wrote:
Regarding 1., if CC15 controls osc1 Octave and CC16 controls osc1 Fine, the two CC's affect osc1 tune independently, no?
Try it out. If you look at the parameter names you'll see that Osc 2 just has a single Tune2 parameter. So while we're seeing 2 or 3 different knobs on the UI, on the back-end Diva just sees a single parameter. So making a fine adjustment via a MIDI CC doesn't turn the Osc2 Fine control from min to max like you'd expect, it cycles through course and octave tuning as well. Honestly, it's my biggest pet peeve with Diva.
bg wrote: Regarding 3., maybe I misunderstand, but the oscillator type (Minimoog, Digital, MS20, etc.) is midi learnable. I'm pretty sure I tried it and was surprised that changing modules via CC works.
Fine is working for me. The full range of the cc moves the on screen knob just a tiny bit.
Right, that's exactly how I have them mapped at the moment, but I'd like fine to move more than that tiny bit. RePro's fine knobs go the full range when mapped to a knob, ideally, Diva could work the same way.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:RePro's fine knobs go the full range when mapped to a knob,
How is that different from Diva's Semitone Mode? Sorry, I must be misunderstanding you.

Hang on, I think I get it. I haven't tried RePro so I'm guessing: You want Fine's restricted small parameter range, but (graphically) spread over the full rotation of the on screen knob. Yes?

bg wrote:
Now that I'm at my DAW, I realized, I was 2/3rds of the way there. I had Octaves set, and Fine set, but not another controller mapped to semitones. Adding this fixed it. Thanks for all that! You just resolved one of my biggest frustration with mapping Diva.

The issue I was having that I had either fine control, or octave control, but no in-between. Setting the Coarse Tune knob on my controller to control the Semitone setting fixed this. I now have all 3. It still requires 3 CC's versus if Octave and Coarse were separate controls (only requiring 2) where you could do fine tuning with just the Coarse tuning knob without changing octaves.

What about...

A third LFO and Ensoniq inspired EG?

Meaningful delay time values?

High gain feedback mode?
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote:Meaningful delay time values?
number of sixteenths is very meaningful value
Murderous duck!

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: 12. Common parameter values (ms, hz, note duration vs. 0-100). This is one I brought up in another thread recently and I know it's on the to-do list for all U-he products, but I hope that this is done before a Diva 2 release, or at least, as part of it. I basically just want to see hz used when adjusting frequency, or ms used for delay times when not sync'd to host (when note values would be shown). If U-he went as nuts as to show ms for ADSR envelopes, that'd be welcome too but probably not necessary.
Would you be kind enough to tell me which thread? I'm really curious what setbacks in this are. I think I remember reading that meaningful values was meant to be added eventually but sort of on hold because of difficulties.

I need to phrase this carefully so that it doesn't sound like a criticism... I always wondered What the complications were in adding things like meaningful values or text input for instance. It seems counter intuitive that a team like u-he who make some of my favorite plugins would have any trouble with implementing features included in other plugins which are (in my opinion, and obviously subjectively) far inferior. It seems to stand to reason that if you can make a Diva or Bazille you can make text input, haha.

Interestingly, I bought Ephemere from Inear Display a while back and suggested they add a text input under the drum synth channels so that you can keep tabs on which sound is assigned to which key. They hinted at something similar re: text input... that it was way harder than you would think

Of course that's my layman, know-nothing interpretation.

+1 for the full Polymoog resonator

zerocrossing wrote:Meaningful delay time values?
One of the free skins has sliders with snap-to note values. I find it easier to use.

Also, by far most of our parameters are meaningful... pitch is always in semitones, octaves or midi note numbers. Fine tunings are always in cents. Gain is always in dB, while volume (linear) is in percent. Rate is almost always in something like Hertz, or some division of note lengths (often 1/16 notes). When no meaningful value can be found (e.g. for envelope times or modulation depths), the parameter represents percent of the full range. So in by far most cases all we need to do is add [ms] or [%] or [Hz] or some note symbol into the UI.

A few parameters can not be represented that way, mainly because they might be scaled to some curve internally, most likely for a better feel of knob -> effect. Those are like to stay that way even after we add whatever we can add.

:oops:

Elektronisch wrote:No need for Diva 2. Diva is already great as it is. ...

and ability to have some "bright" mode feature on sound.
Completely agree on both points!
- Diva is absolutely fine like this --> please Zebra 2.8 with GUI refresh first! :-)
- I would love to be able to "open" Diva's filter a bit more, so that it sounds a bit brighter

PS:
Regarding second point. We had a very emotional discussion on the biggest russian music forum regarding "dullness" of Diva, thus, the thread had been closed at the end :hihi:

Under this link you can found four mp3 examples diva vs HW Juno-60 that clearly demonstrate the difference (attachment of mp3 is not allowed at kvr?). Both Diva and Juno-60 filters are completely open.

http://rmmedia.ru/threads/86857/page-7#post-2020969
Last edited by alexpen on Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'll add the feature (what I already did in another post): Set the preset folder path to another place (like Dropbox for easy sharing between multiple computers). Fabfilter and TAL have this feature very cleverly included.

For the feature of having the first 50% of the attack knob for only very fast times: I'd say no, unless it is possible to switch that behaviour. Because sometimes you'll need to fine tune long times fines, and that is easier if not 50% of the "knob-way" is used for only 1% of the possible value range.
BTW: Do you know that you can hold Shift and drag by fine increments ;)
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

I know there's a whole other thread for it, but I'm also in the "add CC74 support and extend the pitch bend range to 48 semi-tones in order to improve MPE support" camp.

stardustmedia wrote:For the feature of having the first 50% of the attack knob for only very fast times: I'd say no, unless it is possible to switch that behaviour. Because sometimes you'll need to fine tune long times fines, and that is easier if not 50% of the "knob-way" is used for only 1% of the possible value range.
BTW: Do you know that you can hold Shift and drag by fine increments ;)
I'd be fine with whole new envelope options that were scaled faster. For a long pad, the current envelopes are fine, but I find them finicky for basses and leads IMO. Take Repro-1 for instance, I love how the envelopes are still very fast even past the 12 noon position. It just makes sense for certain types of sounds. Besides, I could always argue that you could always hold shift for fine increments of longer release times, which are going to be less common. :wink:

As a data guy, I'd love it if there to be some measurement and analysis on existing patches to find out what the most common ranges for the ADSR envelopes are. Then you'd ideally figure out what percentage of those patches use the fast portion of the envelopes, medium, or slow, and follow the 80-20 rule to scale accordingly to what customers are doing. For instance, if it's an even distribution, no change needed. If 80% of envelope speeds are in the first 50% of the range, then scale this range larger (if the opposite, then scale up the slow envelope range).

Return to “u-he”