How can I modulate overall volume with expression (cc11)

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I know it seems like an overly simple thing, and I'm no novice, but I can't seem to find a way to use cc11 to modulate the overall volume output or volume before effects. Some patches utilize Osc 1 and 2 and Sub Osc 1 and 2. That's 4 modulation destinations for one controller......and I may be figuring it out as I type. Still, any help is appreciated.

I use the Modulation Matrix for everything.
Use Oscillator volumes, grid volumes or Master/Send volumes.

EricWatkins wrote:I know it seems like an overly simple thing, and I'm no novice, but I can't seem to find a way to use cc11 to modulate the overall volume output or volume before effects. Some patches utilize Osc 1 and 2 and Sub Osc 1 and 2. That's 4 modulation destinations for one controller......and I may be figuring it out as I type. Still, any help is appreciated.
Which instrument?
PhasePhckr (modular MPE VSTi) G+
Fatar88Lux (dyi MIDI brain) bitbucket
Assault Opera - sound cloud | spotify

Oh my gosh, what a knot head I am. The synth is Hive. Sorry about that.

First, click the "GEAR" icon in the top right of Hive:

Next, click on Midi Learn mode, the click on the Output knob. If successful it will highlight the circle around the output knob:

Finally, move your expression pedal. You should see a line appear inside the Output knob and hear the volume change:

You can also verify the setting by looking at the Midi Learned List. Select the middle icon:

When you're done learning close the settings mode by clicking on the "X" in the top right corner:

Note that this learned mode is global across all presets, all instances of hive, and will persist across loads.
Feel free to call me Brian.

One more thing, some factory presets make use of expression pedal (XP). The modulation will still be sent to both which means it will not just change the volume of the preset. You may want to configure your pedal to send a non-standard expression CC if you just want volume control. Or you could modify and save the factory patches that you use to remove XP modulation.
Feel free to call me Brian.

Yes, if possible please keep MIDI CC#11 free (I've been programming a whole heap of Hive sounds recently, half of which already use XP).

Return to “u-he”