Diva on Ryzen

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Diva

http://www.eteknix.com/amd-ryzen-ccx-in ... ry-speeds/

Very interesting read here about Ryzens cache being tied to memory speed.
This is exciting because it means we haven't seen anything yet.

Ring Bus being mentioned is what makes my i7 5775C so powerful while being 800mhz slower so there's a little info on cache coherency.

Again, the proof is in the pudding.
I'm getting that cheap ass Quad Core with 16MBs cache and the very fastest DDR4 I can find.
Got a feeling there's going to be lots of problems too but this exciting stuff, especially if the article mentioned above is correct.

800 MHz slower than WHICH CPU?

diaper@ky wrote:http://www.eteknix.com/amd-ryzen-ccx-in ... ry-speeds/

Very interesting read here about Ryzens cache being tied to memory speed.
This is exciting because it means we haven't seen anything yet.

Ring Bus being mentioned is what makes my i7 5775C so powerful while being 800mhz slower so there's a little info on cache coherency.

Again, the proof is in the pudding.
I'm getting that cheap ass Quad Core with 16MBs cache and the very fastest DDR4 I can find.
Got a feeling there's going to be lots of problems too but this exciting stuff, especially if the article mentioned above is correct.
It really is starting to look kind of crazy http://www.eteknix.com/amd-reportedly-r ... yzen-cpus/

EvilDragon wrote:800 MHz slower than WHICH CPU?
i7 5775C @ 3.3Ghz running with Iris GFX disabled turns the Crystal Well L4 Cache into a 128mb cache for audio.
The 5700 Series were rebranded more recently into 65 watt Xeon E3 1200 v5 CPUs.
My i7 3770k/4790S @ 4.12ghz yield the same results.
Only when I went to i7 4790k and i7 6700k did performance change.
Probably by 10% but much higher watts/voltage/TDP.

5775C runs the cache @ 1800mhz.
Supermicro BIOS down volts the Ring bus/cache when overclocking the CPU.
Otherwise it becomes unstable around 2200mhz.
It's performance with Zebra2 HZ allowed me to use multiple Diva Filters.
The low watt i7 4790S choked at 3.6ghz, so overclocking it to 4.12ghz fixed that, but then TDP shot above the watts rating of my 1U HSF.

I just run 4U PCs now with i7 4790k and they're working well.

The 1U i7 5775C is my outdoor/summertime festival PC.
After this summer I'm hoping for something more powerful, lower heat and less money.

Cant wait to see more options after I survive Sturgis & Deadwood '17...

MFXxx wrote: It really is starting to look kind of crazy http://www.eteknix.com/amd-reportedly-r ... yzen-cpus/
Things are getting interesting.
I gonna upgrade next year and I like to see more competition. I'm not happy with Intel's slow market changes.
Murderous duck!

david.beholder wrote:Things are getting interesting.
I gonna upgrade next year and I like to see more competition. I'm not happy with Intel's slow market changes.
Exactly my thinking. See Ryzen++ and Intel's reaction and make a choice then, probably around Sept 2018.
Feel free to call me Brian.

Below is a test I've done on my Ryzen 1800X.

No overclocking of CPU or Memory.

System spec:
ASUS Crosshair VI Hero motherboard, BIOS v0902 from 13 March 2017.
SMT (Hyperthreading) enabled.
CPU stock speed 3600MHz
Memory 32GB (2x16) running at 2133MHz
Audio card NI Komplete Audio 6, Sample rate 44100Hz, 64 samples Process Buffer, 1ms USB Buffer

Windows 10 latest updates. (Upgraded from Windows 7, not clean install. This used to be running on an Intel i7-3930K until that died recently. Still works just fine without re-installing Windows.)
Windows High Performance power plan selected.

Reaper v5.35 x64.
Options->Preferences->Plug-ins->Compatibility->VST bridging/firewalling set to "In dedicated process per plugin". (If not set to this then Reaper don't seem to handle the Ryzen processor very well in this version.)

Diva VST2 x64 1.4.1 trial. (I only have Zebra2/HZ and Hive U-He synths, so have to do this test with the Diva trial.)
Init patch, change Accuracy from great to divine and Voices from 6 to 16. No other changes. (Use these settings for all loaded instances.)

One bar looped. Add 3 notes starting from C3 every 16th interval up to D#4. (Totalling 16 notes. This is just a test, it's not meant to sound nice...) Sustain all notes to the end of the bar.

Create 16 tracks and load only Diva on each and ensure that each instance is changed as described above and plays 16 sustained notes.

Mute the last 15 tracks, start play and unmute one track at a time until the audio starts cracking up. (Not from the trial noise that is added occasionally. You will definitely hear the difference when it starts cracking up for other reasons.)

On my system I get crackles when a track is unmuted which gets progressively longer, up to a second when the last track is unmuted, but once it has settled it then loops without a hitch. I can get 15 unmuted tracks with these settings. When the 16th track is unmuted the CPU gets overloaded and it crackles all the time.

I have not tried to game this test, but it turns out that the Diva init patch with the described two settings changes just happens to use around 49% of a CPU core on my system when all 16 voices are played. So that means that as long as Reaper/Windows schedules all Diva instances optimally I could hope to get 15 instances playing without overload, which is what I got. The 16th instance would go on the core which also handles the DAW mixing engine so that would not have enough CPU cycles left to add another Diva instance.

This test should be easy to replicate on other systems as well since trial versions of both Reaper and Diva are readily available. So people with other systems can run this and report back their results if they wish to compare. I can run additional tests with different patches/settings as well if people would like to see something else.

The test makes great sense.
AMD sure looks good.

But Intel i7 7700k vill destloy ze Ryzen, belief me this.

Scrappy Coco

diaper@ky wrote:The test makes great sense.
AMD sure looks good.

But Intel i7 7700k vill destloy ze Ryzen, belief me this.

Scrappy Coco
Yeah my dad have bigger gun (gon) then your.. :dog:

Not anymore.
Got an MSI Titanium/Ryzen 1800X.
Beating up my i7s is pretty easy now.

I still use a first gen i7 920 running at 3.2Ghz I would like to double the CPU power with my next build but intel prices keep getting higher. I will keep my eye on this topic.

I got one and stock speed is the same CPU Usage for Zebra2HZ as my i7 4790k. But half of the Cores.
I wont need to overclock it.

What makes these chips work for us is the cache.
When you have a micro-op with smart cache, you have less trips to RAM and SSD.
GHz is important too, but AMD Smart cache is impressive.

The 6 and 8 Core Ryzens are great for softsynths.
The 1500X is a Quad Core variant, very cheap, but guess what, it gets the same cache as its big brothers.

I'm thinking a little Mini ITX box with one of those would be a great box for live players.
Load up several synths, layer a few if needed.

Ryzen 2 will have integrated Vega GPUs and should really piss on Intels HEDT Parade.

I still maintain Intel is a better CPU and very mature.
But they better look out to 2020.
AMD is going to kill their product line until they leap forward.
Not the same 5% jumps over and over.

Is anyone able to report on pcie ti firewire 400/800 cards working well on Ryzen mobos please?

I'm using FireWire to and from a PCI-e 1X connector card and my drivers are from 2009 still.
I have issues with Z170/Z270, but Z67/87/97 and now X370 work fine.

The Ryzen 1800X is equal to a pair of i7 4790k CPUs.
No noticeable improvements on Zebra2HZ as it uses a single core.
But Omnisphere 2.2 can use full polyphony in Dual Live mode.

Also the NVMe devices both work flawlessly on X370 chips.
I had issues using more than 1 NVMe device getting PCI Overflow errors with Z97.
I use a 1TB Samsung for Kontakt/PLAY @ 2x speeds, and 512GB NVMe for Spectrasonics Libraries @ 4x speeds.
I'm quite sure an Intel i7 6900X would be better, but not by much in real world usage.
I like the same power for 1,000 USD less.

diaper@ky wrote:I'm using FireWire to and from a PCI-e 1X connector card and my drivers are from 2009 still.
I have issues with Z170/Z270, but Z67/87/97 and now X370 work fine.

The Ryzen 1800X is equal to a pair of i7 4790k CPUs.
No noticeable improvements on Zebra2HZ as it uses a single core.
But Omnisphere 2.2 can use full polyphony in Dual Live mode.

Also the NVMe devices both work flawlessly on X370 chips.
I had issues using more than 1 NVMe device getting PCI Overflow errors with Z97.
I use a 1TB Samsung for Kontakt/PLAY @ 2x speeds, and 512GB NVMe for Spectrasonics Libraries @ 4x speeds.
I'm quite sure an Intel i7 6900X would be better, but not by much in real world usage.
I like the same power for 1,000 USD less.
That's interesting so the 7700k boards you had issues, what were they. Do you think it's due to older drivers or something else?
What are you using now?

Return to “u-he”