Bazille FR: add lower quality mode

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi
If possible please would be good add some rough quality mode like Draft in ACE (or Draft and Standart, if current "Good" in Bazille higher than ACE "Standart").
Really cool sound but not all time need such great quality and clean high frequencies (sometime even vice versa), while the most Bazille patches eat cpu excessively, in many cases even with disabled high quality mode.

Then I will suggest adding a "divine" mode that is similar to oversampling the plugin. Aliasing was reduced when I set the whole project to 192kHz, but that's not so practical.

omiroad wrote:Then I will suggest adding a "divine" mode that is similar to oversampling the plugin. Aliasing was reduced when I set the whole project to 192kHz, but that's not so practical.
Yeah CPU wise, HQ switched on with Bazille gives me CPU usage comparable to 'Good' on Diva - HQ switched off gives me around the same CPU use as 'Draft' on Diva.

So yeah rather than add a 'lower quality' mode which essentially is the HQ Mode off, I'd be ace to have a Super-HQ mode for rendering usage a la Divine mode in Diva

c_voltage wrote:Hi
If possible please would be good add some rough quality mode like Draft in ACE (or Draft and Standart, if current "Good" in Bazille higher than ACE "Standart").
Really cool sound but not all time need such great quality and clean high frequencies (sometime even vice versa), while the most Bazille patches eat cpu excessively, in many cases even with disabled high quality mode.
ACE was the first plug-in I did a draft-type mode for, which is low to no oversampling. The problem with this is that filter tuning is inherently off. So if you switch between modes, the sound can be different. In ACE that is kind of okay because the quality is saved with preset (which for several other reasons I find questionable).

In Diva we made sure that the ZDF modes (good, great, divine) sound as identical as possible. We called the lowest quality "draft" instead of "standard" simple because it does sound different and isn't meant to be used for rendering. We also added it so people can hear for themselves what ZDF does for them and why the CPU usage is justified. Still, even draft mode is 2x or 4x oversampled, depending on algorithms used.

Differences in sound, especially tuning, have turned out to be issues. We have had a lot of explaining to do over the years.

When Bazille's HQ mode is off, it's only 2x oversampled. Going lower would sound considerably different. There's a good chance that filters could explode and aliasing might become unbearable. I'm not sure it's a good idea, but I'll be happy to try. However, experience tells me it might do more harm than good, hence my reluctance.

Urs wrote:When Bazille's HQ mode is off, it's only 2x oversampled. Going lower would sound considerably different. There's a good chance that filters could explode and aliasing might become unbearable. I'm not sure it's a good idea, but I'll be happy to try. However, experience tells me it might do more harm than good, hence my reluctance.
Hmm ok got it, then i rely on your vision of this moment.

Might be an interesting case for Urs to try it out though,just to be sure. Maybe.. just maybe.. it might work, hehe :-)

Lots of hobbyists around with not so great system specs.. for those it could matter.
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

Nielzie wrote:Lots of hobbyists around with not so great system specs.. for those it could matter.
Though my specs really slightly outdated, i believe also modern cpu users would be glad to use such "session" feature, when the main sound idea is still keep, but at the same time a much more freedom of action, that can inspire no worse than precision frequencies in real time.
In the end, the maximum quality can always be set for the final render.
(But of course, again if talk about a some technical issue for implement, then perhaps this is not a justified sacrifice.)

Urs wrote:When Bazille's HQ mode is off, it's only 2x oversampled. Going lower would sound considerably different. There's a good chance that filters could explode and aliasing might become unbearable. I'm not sure it's a good idea, but I'll be happy to try. However, experience tells me it might do more harm than good, hence my reluctance.
Can you comment on the possibility of a super HQ/divine mode for even more oversampling for Bazille? I thought 192kHz took care of the aliasing very well. It would mostly be used for rendering.

Nielzie wrote:Lots of hobbyists around with not so great system specs.. for those it could matter.
In my opinion I prefer Urs' current approach of no-compromise on CPU for sound quality.
If those a hobbyist passes on Bazille (or Diva, etc) because it hits their older CPU too hard I question their desire to actually use the product. If that person is willing to invest several hundred dollars in a synth they should likewise be willing to invest in periodic computer upgrades.

Programming compromises or other draft modes into products takes time away from adding interesting features that actually contribute to the sound/DSP engine. Every knob/slider/switch in a commercial product adds to the quality control, testing, GUI design, documentation, and eventual support. My current PC is a Core i7 from 2013 and still runs Diva and Bazille well (at least for a single instance of each).
Feel free to call me Brian.

omiroad wrote:Can you comment on the possibility of a super HQ/divine mode for even more oversampling for Bazille?
There's a possibility, sure. Can't say if/how/when at this point of time though.

bmrzycki wrote:
In my opinion I prefer Urs' current approach of no-compromise on CPU for sound quality.
If those a hobbyist passes on Bazille (or Diva, etc) because it hits their older CPU too hard I question their desire to actually use the product. If that person is willing to invest several hundred dollars in a synth they should likewise be willing to invest in periodic computer upgrades.

Programming compromises or other draft modes into products takes time away from adding interesting features that actually contribute to the sound/DSP engine. Every knob/slider/switch in a commercial product adds to the quality control, testing, GUI design, documentation, and eventual support. My current PC is a Core i7 from 2013 and still runs Diva and Bazille well (at least for a single instance of each).
Here is a need clarify - ofcourse, i would not want that developer spend time for task of just a few users with old computers, but before composing a query i supposed that this moment also can be actual for modern cpu users (since we are talk about one of most heavy synths for cpu on market). But if i'm wrong, ie if all smooth on i5-i7, then my apology.

Urs wrote:
omiroad wrote:Can you comment on the possibility of a super HQ/divine mode for even more oversampling for Bazille?
There's a possibility, sure. Can't say if/how/when at this point of time though.
Additions I'd love to see for a Bazille upgrade someday in the future...
An additional filter model as an option.
Each Osc to have a quantizer built into it.
Few interesting new waveform types.
Ability to modulate sequencer speed.
More FX - so the same 4 slots, but a variety of choices (i.e. ResQ and Drench)

Urs wrote:
Cool. It's already a quality synth so I'll just take it as it comes.

i like bazille

please just update bazille

I cant use this synth - cpu is too high

bazille is literally the best synth - just unusable and hasnt been updated since 2015

i own a mid 2012 macbook and i get less max-outs with Bazille than i did with Diva

Return to “u-he”