Repro-5

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Repro

rockmachine wrote:Urs- why not do something similar to what you've done with Zebra and Zebralette and make Repro 1 and Repro 5 a combined package? They appear to look as if they are genetically related except that you would not be able to load patches from one to the other given their inherent differences. Or at least make that a possibility as a price structure, maybe combining them for a fair price, I am not saying a giveaway price as I'm sure the amount of work put into Repro 5 is pretty substantial and I've never been one to think anyone's labours should be discounted.
I'm pretty sure the plan is to only sell them as a bundle (with a price bump compared to current RePro-1 pricing) going forward. Urs mentioned $129 or $149 as potential price targets in one of the Superbooth videos. If I didn't already own RePro-1, I'd demo it, and if I liked that one as-is, I'd buy now.

Hope its not bundle only, i have no interest in repro1.

It is going to be bundle only. It's basically the same product, with some modifications.

Urs wrote:The other option is, we don't want people to prematurely buy Repro-1 when in fact they want Repro-5 - which they can't test yet.

One of the biggest problems in the past was people (impulse) buying stuff based on assumptions of future development. Then sometimes these developments go in different directions or turn out to be something they didn't expect.

After all, Repro-5 is a CPU hog. If people run Repro-1 just fine doesn't mean Repro-5 will. Repro-5 furthermore doesn't have JAWs, the arpeggiator and the sequencer. It has less control over how envelopes and glide are triggered.

In other words, people expecting Repro-5 to be a CPU friendly, polyphonic and supersaw enabled version of Repro-1 will be utterly disappointed. Hence whatever incentive we have for Repro-1 users won't be announced before Repro-5 can be evaluated.

8)
Don't sound like a bundle sale to me, rather the opposite but anyway.. ..i'll buy it. :)
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

EvilDragon wrote:It is going to be bundle only. It's basically the same product, with some modifications.

Shame. Thats me out.

Why, though? So you want Repro-5, you buy Repro "bundle" and use it. For you it'd be $129/$149/whatever price is decided for it. You don't need to fire up Repro-1 ever if you don't want to. You still could, as it sounds damn great :)

It's pretty much like Zebralette and Zebrify which you get when you buy Zebra 2. You don't have to use them if you don't want to.

Repro-5 is basically the same product that Repro-1 is, except changes had to be made to remove some things that Repro-1 has (sequencer, drone mode, extreme modulation ranges etc.) in order for polyphony to be viable/work correctly, and for it to actually sound like a Prophet-5 rev 3.

EDragon,
Are you saying you have tried Repro-5? If so, does it often take 5 times the CPU as Repro-1? I was wondering about that before Urs mentioned it as a "CPU hog". Repro-1 puts a significant strain on my computer as it is. The other day I was trying a demo non-u-he synth plug-in and the CPU hit made most of the patches unusable for me.
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

EvilDragon wrote:It is going to be bundle only. It's basically the same product, with some modifications.
That is correct.

(OMG, just thinking about the shitstorm we'd get if we sold it separately...)

AnX wrote:

Shame. Thats me out.
I'll make you an installer with just Repro-5 in it. Same price, still a steal.

Urs wrote:
AnX wrote:

Shame. Thats me out.
Lol
I actually thought you would be losing sleep now that AnX is out.
rsp
sound sculptist

Urs wrote:
AnX wrote:

Shame. Thats me out.
:lol: :tu:
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

aaron aardvark wrote:EDragon,
Are you saying you have tried Repro-5? If so, does it often take 5 times the CPU as Repro-1? I was wondering about that before Urs mentioned it as a "CPU hog". Repro-1 puts a significant strain on my computer as it is. The other day I was trying a demo non-u-he synth plug-in and the CPU hit made most of the patches unusable for me.
Consider of it, there is no cheaper way to make something faster like software, without sacrificing its quality. It's already written in some degree in one of lowest level possible CPU instruction set/programming languages like SSE2. If you expect the exact, detailed emulation, then you cannot magically optimize it more than it's possible. I do not want to experience any compromises of sound quality, because a one person cannot run it smoothly on a unoptimized DAW such like the belgian one (in my opinion) and/or operating system and cannot update his hardware. There are some even physical limits that are extremely difficult to work around. A new computer and CPU is way cheaper than any classic synth and almost any synth at all. Look at the PC video games industry. They make every year games that require the latest components and graphics card to run it on the lowest possible graphical setting. Nobody is whining, because that's obvious for anybody to understand the thing, that there is no cheaper way to compute such data in the real time. They do whine when the product is that unoptimized, that even the most powerful gear cannot run it smoothly. Computing it faster without changing the hardware, requires some research, that costs and takes time, and both things are limited for everyone. And physics limits us too. The other people are just buying a new gear. Do the same as they and try to understand it. I'm running 5 RePros-1 on HQ setting without a problem in the real time, in DAW called Reaper + Windows 7 64 bit on a laptop with CPU such as i3-4000M with 2.4 GHz, 4 threads and 4 GB RAM. Then at the playback time, Reaper is showing maximum CPU usage with value 28%. The RePro-1 is optimized as hell.

Well, also, I think most poly patches sound just fine with HQ option switched off.

Urs,
I'm just brainstorming here. Even though I've been using Repro-1 for several months, I haven't spent loads of time turning the HQ option on and off. I remember Diva has 3 or 4 levels of sound quality. Not sure how feasible that would be for Repro-5, and have it done by yesterday ;)
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

^combined package is envisaged, AFAIK.

Return to “u-he”