Repro-5

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Repro

Chris-S wrote:My measurement (r=LFO rate) for the RP5 LFO (non-sync mode):
Thanks for the reply, but that went way over my head. Can you use this formula to illustrate a specific example, like say a quarter note at 120 BPM?

I have an Excel sheet set up to calculate the LFO rate in Hz based on a note value at a given BPM, but I'm having trouble translating what you wrote into an Excel formula. I'm confused by what the inputs are supposed to be.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.
Last edited by Sycopation on Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

For this you would use the host-sync mode and set the knob to 1/4.

In manual mode 1/4 @ 120 BPM is 2.0 hz, and the knob has to be set to r = 61.8.

Chris-S wrote:For this you would use the host-sync mode and set the knob to 1/4.

In manual mode 1/4 @ 120 BPM is 2.0 hz, and the knob has to be set to r = 61.8.
Thanks. Why does u-he use such a weird system?! 1-100?

Sorry, I don't mean to be a bother, but can you help me out with what kind of Excel formula I need to translate what you're saying? If I start with a Hz value, how doe I get to the 61.8?

Sorry, I never did advanced math, so the way you write out formulas and whatnot is way over my head. I know how to do a log formula in Excel (but not sure what the base should be), but beyond that I'm confused.

Thanks.

It's 0-100%. Kinda standard for u-he synth's. Anyway on the hardware it was 0-10.
I can post a xls tomorrow.

He got you the formula. Let's make it clearer:

Code: Select all

x = log(32 * Hz) / log(1.96) * 10
Use the Hz value you want instead of Hz in that formula. Pretty easy with Wolfram Alpha, here's example for 1.5 Hz:

https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=x ... 1.96)+*+10

Just change 1.5 into whatever Hz number.
Last edited by EvilDragon on Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sycopation wrote: Sorry, I never did advanced math, so the way you write out formulas and whatnot is way over my head. I know how to do a log formula in Excel (but not sure what the base should be), but beyond that I'm confused.
base is 10 - which is the default for the log() function if you don't specify a base - or you could use the log10() functon

so in excel the formula is =log10(32*hz_value)/log10(1.96)*10

Ok, here is the LFO calculator for Excel (german number formats, dunno if it works with US formats).

http://chris-s.bplaced.net/rp5/rp5-lfo.zip

jdnz wrote:so in excel the formula is =log10(32*hz_value)/log10(1.96)*10
Thank you very much. That is exactly what I needed. I have a sweet LFO spreadsheet now.

Chris-S wrote:Ok, here is the LFO calculator for Excel (german number formats, dunno if it works with US formats).
Thanks very much for your help with this. I used the Excel formula that jdnz provided and everything is running smoothly in LFO spreadsheet land.

Now, do you happen to know the input values for Bazille? If I remember right, the LFO knobs on Bazille go -5 to +5.

Chris-S wrote:It's 0-100%. Kinda standard for u-he synth's. Anyway on the hardware it was 0-10.
I'm fairly new to synthing, so I'm kind of baffled by why they use such an opaque system, where the number value on the LFO dial bears no (obvious) relation to the Hz value. Just seems bizarre to me. I understand the motivation of making it the same as (or similar to) the original hardware. People who actually use / used the hardware would be expecting that, so I totally get that. But similar to the way that they allow sync or no sync, why not toss in the option of using Hz values? Maybe there is a good (or at least understandable) technical reason why they don't offer this option, I don't know.

This is something that frustrates me with a lot of music software, specifically when it comes to setting time values to a specific BPM (LFOs, delays, step editors etc). Instead of just allowing the user to input a numerator (basically any number) and then select a denominator (4 for quarter notes, 8 for 8th notes etc) from a dropdown of musically relevant options, they give you a pre-defined list of the ones that people typically use - 1/8, 3/8, 1/4, 3/4 etc. Why?! Give me more control! Why not allow me to do 5/16 or 7/8? It's not like the math / computation it takes is difficult. The only plugin I know of that does this is Groove Delay, a stock plugin for Studio One. It seems like such a logical way to do things, so I can't figure out why more devs haven't glommed onto it.

Showing real-world units is a long-standing feature request. It'll happen eventually.

EvilDragon wrote:Showing real-world units is a long-standing feature request. It'll happen eventually.
Do you have any insight into why it has been shelved for so long? I'm not a dev or coder or anything, so I'm not going to pretend to know that world, but it just seems like such a basic thing. It's a simple calculation that Excel can do without a hiccup. I hope it's not a purely aesthetic thing, like they don't want to stray to much from the hardware that they are emulating.

IIRC it's not as easy as we all think, since it's a part of their custom-coded framework (Urs will correct me if I'm wrong). So once it ends up on the table, it will be applied across all products. Some u-he products already have this partially for some parameters (like Presswerk, for example).

I just bought it.

I'm not even a fan of prophet 5, but WOW, this one sounds amazing

sorry for barging in and derailing

Ploki wrote:I just bought it.

I'm not even a fan of prophet 5, but WOW, this one sounds amazing

sorry for barging in and derailing
Woot!

I can't say "It's not rocket science" because it kind of is. I did notice that Dr. Joseph Akins, can do those calculations in his head. Wish I could.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leZP_s_z0DI&t=

Return to “u-he”