Repro-1 effect Jaws is heavily out of phase

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi U-He

The effect Jaws within Repro-1 sound amazing, in stereo, but I have heavy issues when listening mono. The sound disappears (in and out, not all the time). I used the preset "ARK Space Traveller" and Jaws delivers a great part of the sound, setting B-mode to Off changes the sound too much. It makes that nice "shakey chorusey" sound.

Is it possible to extend Jaws in a way so the width can be manipulated separately or it doesn't go so much out of phase? Or maybe I just didn't find the obvious solution that's already built in.

Cheers,
Murat
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

Works as intended, as soon as you use bias modulation forget about mono compatibility. So yeah, setting B-Mod to off will often greatly change the sound, it's just the nature of the beast.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=480747

It might work as intended, then the expected result is not professional nor usable. What a pitty.

stardustmedia wrote:It might work as intended, then the expected result is not professional nor usable. What a pitty.
Lol

It isn't out of phase at all, as long as you don't touch the b-mod. Which is there to make a stereo effect (like a stereo flanger). I love it. And i do use it professionally... :party:

exmatproton wrote:
stardustmedia wrote:It might work as intended, then the expected result is not professional nor usable. What a pitty.
Lol

It isn't out of phase at all, as long as you don't touch the b-mod. Which is there to make a stereo effect (like a stereo flanger). I love it. And i do use it professionally... :party:
Have fun listening to it (B mod on) on a mono device. :lol:

Without the B mod it's perfectly mono compatible. It's the basic idea to get it out of phase. But it's a too much thus causing phase cancellations.

I care about the mono compatibility so my mixes can be played everywhere without sounds disappearing.

And how many mono-only venues are currently playing your songs, I wonder? :clap: :clap: :clap:

mholloway wrote:And how many mono-only venues are currently playing your songs, I wonder? :clap: :clap: :clap:
How should I know? How can anyone know? Do you know?

I just try to make sure to be as mono compatible as possible.

stardustmedia wrote:
exmatproton wrote:
Lol

Without the B mod it's perfectly mono compatible. It's the basic idea to get it out of phase. But it's a too much thus causing phase cancellations.

I care about the mono compatibility so my mixes can be played everywhere without sounds disappearing.
So, don't use that knob if you want strictly mono sound......i really don't get it.
Every modulated overlapping sound creates some kind of cancellation (not always entirely ofcourse).

I can take the output of an Osc in Bazille, invert it, and send each to the left and right channel and they would cancel each other out in mono.

Does that mean Bazille is not professional or usable? Of course not. It is up to the professional to use the tools in the way that works for them.

exmatproton wrote:
stardustmedia wrote:
exmatproton wrote:
Lol

So, don't use that knob if you want strictly mono sound......i really don't get it.
Every modulated overlapping sound creates some kind of cancellation (not always entirely ofcourse).
Some kind of cancellation is ok. The B mod just goes too far, up to -1 thus cancelling a lot of information. I just say that (if possible) I'd like to see the B mod with a value that doesn't go so far, because the sound it creates IS cool.

And as Urs has explained, it can't be done since no matter what, it modulates in opposite sides. It doesn't go too far with Min amount of modulation, so use that, if you must. Don't use the B-Mod Med and Max positions then.

pdxindy wrote:
I can take the output of an Osc in Bazille, invert it, and send each to the left and right channel and they would cancel each other out in mono.

Does that mean Bazille is not professional or usable? Of course not. It is up to the professional to use the tools in the way that works for them.

I'd just like to see the B mod with a value that doesn't go straight into too much of phase cancellation (= -1 on a correlation meter!?). At the moment it's a tool that is whether off = I don't use its cool sound, or it's on = I have to live with heavy cancellations.

I'd expect from a professional audio tool that it can be set in different ways. If I choose to have the cancellations, ok. But there is no choice.

EvilDragon wrote:And as Urs has explained, it can't be done since no matter what, it modulates in opposite sides. It doesn't go too far with Min amount of modulation, so use that, if you must. Don't use the B-Mod Med and Max positions then.
I tried that and it was still cancelling out too much. Maybe it was that preset I used. I haven't yet tried with another sound.

It could rotate the phase a little after modulating, so they don't cancel out that much?

Again, that would change the sound of all current presets too much. It's the nature of the beast. Either worry too much and don't use it or don't worry to much and use it :D

I wouldn't worry greatly about cellphone speaker compatibility because those speakers and those small "ghetto blaster" thingies are crap sounding anyways, far from flat frequency response... :D But hey, if you wanna complicate your life, sure, go ahead. I'd rather not care about mono regardless of where it still could be used and make my life easier. It's your choice.

stardustmedia wrote:Some kind of cancellation is ok. The B mod just goes too far, up to -1 thus cancelling a lot of information. I just say that (if possible) I'd like to see the B mod with a value that doesn't go so far, because the sound it creates IS cool.
Why don't you just set the B mod value moderately? Also, use with 2 teeth rather than 4 or 6?

Return to “u-he”