Preset for U-He Satin that sounds like UAD Ampex

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I cannot afford to buy the UAD Ampex system, but I love how it sounds.
Is it possible to make Satin sound like it? Does anyone have a preset to do it?

Thanks.

Buy an Ampex if you need an Ampex.
🇺🇦

almazmusic wrote:Buy an Ampex if you need an Ampex.
Is this your advice for all emulations? Want the sound of an LA-2A - buy one! Want the sound of an orchestra? Buy one! :dog:

The Ampex ATR UAD plugin is indeed nice. The trick to reproducing it is getting a big low end blump close to 30hz and a sharp high end roll-off. I've been playing around with the demo and trying to get Satin to sound similar.

Satin can get close. Start with Vintage tape. Let's use 15 IPS to start, but the same general guidelines work for 30 IPS. Use the NAB Rec and Repro EQ. Increase the Bump setting until you have a nice low end boost. Play around with the Gap Width until you get the bump to go as low in frequency as you can (slightly above 12 o'clock works well). Next, slowly turn the Azimuth so the high end rolls right off. Experiment with over and under biasing it as well as the pre-emphasis. Keep Hhe hiss around -83. I preferred the Asperity fairly low and Wow and Flutter close to default. That should get you in the ballpark. Remember, the Frequency Response graph in Satin should show a big low end bump and a big high end roll off.

There's actually an Ampex ATR102 preset that comes with Satin (it's "RP Atr 102 15ips"). I have neither the UAD version or an actual tape recorder at hand, so I can't vouch for how close it is to those, but I can assume it's a decent starting point ;)
It's pretty close to most of Funkybot's suggestions btw.

Is this your advice for all emulations?
Exactly :) Personally I've bought Satin not to emulate some of classic devices. I'm not even sure if this is possible with universal things like Satin.
🇺🇦

I bought Satin for its superior authentic tape flange.
Everybody talked about tape sat but UAD and Satin with a good multi band comp can get a saturation effect.
UAD can't get close to Satins Tape Flange though.
Great plug in for vocals with a hot mic pre...

Nice pictures of tape recorders help the saturation experience too. :D

Return to “u-he”