Soundsets: doubling the number of sounds with minute variations ?

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

IMHO, a soundset should not be beefed up by providing minute variations on sounds, thus helping in doubling the number of advertised sounds, as in having an octave change and a little cutoff adjustment. Not to mention adding more reverb and delay. These are modifications anyone can do as part of crafting a song isn't it ?

Every synth has FXs although how much of reverb and delay should be built in when one task of mixing a song is to add musically relevant reverb and delay when appropriate ? Of course, removing altogether the reverb of a soundset will make demos sound rather bland. An otherwise ordinary sound can be beefed up by adding reverb and delay just like by adding MSG to food: it does the trick for the palate although it also means that the recipe is not that good at the start. So FXs are needed although when a portion of a soundset consists of only adding more reverb/delay to increase the number of selling arguments, then there's unnecessary replication I find that can be addressed, if needed, in the mix.

Also, soundset demos should provide a fair representation of the distribution of sounds. For instance, if there are 50 sci-fi/monster/E.T. FXs in a 125 sounds soundset the demos should showcase a fair amount of FXs and not only show the melodic aspects of it.

Just my two cents, cheers.

Totally agreed. If you have some set(s) we sell in mind in particular, please contact our support. We put a lot of effort in quality control, demos and descriptions, but we're happy to fix anything that's misleading.

It is a general observation. Using Linux, the main synths I use are u-he synths. So my observation was written here because these are the synths I use 90% of the time. This said, none of the soundsets provided by u-he, as far as I recall, have these symptoms. I do not want to mention anything specifically as it might not be fair since there's still, despite the comparisons I made, an amount of 'IMHO' that should not have influence on commercial decisions. So it is a general observation, maybe a philosophical comment :phones:

Return to “u-he”