Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New#KVRDeals

[Music] follow-up on ACE/Bazille thread

mevla
KVRian

647 posts since 3 Nov, 2015

Postby mevla; Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:16 am [Music] follow-up on ACE/Bazille thread

Hello,

Basically created with the limitation of using only the u-he ACE synth but then the Bazille synth also has some contribution in two tracks. The bass is ACE 'Color of Chloe' preset, with appropriate mixing-time adjustments. Also created as a mixing exercise. This is a short song-like piece with a simple bright theme. Of course the drums and percussion were not made using the synths.

https://soundcloud.com/nominal6/musace

Cheers.
spunkmuffin
KVRian

507 posts since 5 Sep, 2014

Postby spunkmuffin; Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:05 am Re: [Music] follow-up on ACE/Bazille thread

Nice tune. Well done for putting this out there.

I think there is a problem though. The drums/percussion sound acoustic and like they were recorded in a room...sounds like they have space around them. However the synths do not really. The synths sound forward and right up front with no space.

I feel it is like the synths on the one hand and the drums on the other are not really connected. Like there is no real interaction or relationship between them.

Interested to know what you think - if you think this is a problem or not and how you go about changing things, if you do. Cheers.

Also from 3:06 to the end there is a piercing high pitch synth part you need to remove. ;)

Sorry if this is too critical. 8)
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:
mevla
KVRian

Postby mevla; Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:38 pm Re: [Music] follow-up on ACE/Bazille thread

Thanks for the comments ! Much appreciated. This is the kind of feedback that makes things move forward. I will try a few things and will update the mix. However, the 'chirping' noise starting at 3:06 would be part of it. Hmmm... it clashes with its high squeaky frequencies, I'll find something else. Cheers.
spunkmuffin
KVRian

Postby spunkmuffin; Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:56 pm Re: [Music] follow-up on ACE/Bazille thread

The high pitch sound I am talking about is continuous and kind of warbling. I hear it from 3:05 to 3:22. It cuts out abruptly at 3:22. It is not the chirping - the chirps are nice little short sounds with delay + reverb. The chirps are considerably lower in frequency that the one I mean. Maybe look at the track on your DAW EQ display?

EDIT: I just checked and the high pitch sound appears only in the left channel!
mevla
KVRian

Postby mevla; Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:09 pm Re: [Music] follow-up on ACE/Bazille thread

Wow. I've seen it in the DAW (the stereo 'mastering' session, not the original individual tracks) It registers in the 10KHz and 12.5KHz bands using the 1/3 octave spectrum analyzer I got. The freakish thing is that I don't hear it. I will try to perceive it and get to it in the original mixing session.

EDIT: Found it. It's rooted after all in that chirping sound. I muted that track in the original session and exported the stereo master just the same, then loaded it in the so-called 'mastering' session. Since that session only has 'mastering' plugins on the master bus, the track import was identical to the previous one. Gone. It's a Bazille preset from the 'Mapping Madness' folder called 'Tappy Tap Taps'. Going to the creation session, in Bitwig (I mix using Harrison Mixbus32C) the Bitwig spectrum analyzer shows, when there's apparent silence or close to it (for me) :

bazille.png

Thanks for spotting this one. It's something I'll include in the creation/mixing tasks: a check that the frequencies are the expected ones for a given instrument.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
spunkmuffin
KVRian

Postby spunkmuffin; Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:07 pm Re: [Music] follow-up on ACE/Bazille thread

Hehe I opened that patch in Bazille and yep it's there too...in both channels...and now both channels in the track as well. This had me worried earlier and I was messing with my setup. #$%! Bazille! :hihi:
mevla
KVRian

Postby mevla; Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:45 pm Re: [Music] follow-up on ACE/Bazille thread

The next step would be to look at the patch and see how it's generated. Maybe a bug ?? :o
spunkmuffin
KVRian

Postby spunkmuffin; Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:09 pm Re: [Music] follow-up on ACE/Bazille thread

Actually that patch is designed to be trouble. It doesn't even use the oscillators. Its using Ramp into a Map Smoothed Mapping Generator as a sound source...danger. Then all 4 filters in series WTF. Gain is at 100% in the first one WTH haha :lol:

And who is 'Pappy Monticello'. :clown: I think this patch was meant as a joke. Really. :D Ooh maybe it's Urs incognito 8)
spunkmuffin
KVRian

Postby spunkmuffin; Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:35 pm Re: [Music] follow-up on ACE/Bazille thread

To be sure I am not saying there is anything wrong with the patch. It makes some cute and usable chirps. Just needs the extreme top and bottom EQ'd off. :tu:

Whatever gets you through the night.

Moderator: u-he Mods

Return to u-he