Zebra2 - CPU saving tips?

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

sorry. couldn't figure out how to delete a double-up post
Last edited by armenjc on Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Any tips on not crushing my CPU while using Z2? I have a patch I just made and it's spiking one of my 8 processor inside my Logic Pro X is spiking and causing snaps, crackles and pops. It's the only patch in all of my presets that causes this. I've turned the effects off and same thing. The only time it stops is when I deactivate OSC2 and VCF1. I've raised my buffer to 512 and it's also the only plug-in I have open inside of logic. I've powered down the computer and tried again...same issue. I'm on an 8-core 3 GHz MacPro running OSX 10.11.6, 28 GB of RAM.
ep.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Without examining the actual patch I can only guess what's causing the CPU usage. Some things to look at:

Oscillator FX combined with resolution can really eat CPU. Try dialing back the resolution knob (under the lower Osc 2 tab) if you can't hear a difference in sound.

Long envelope release times. I see the patch has "many" set and "pad" in the name. Try setting to "medium" and shortening the last lane's release some.

It's usually a combination of these two that causes Z2 to eat CPU these days. That and you're using both XMF filters: they're CPU hungry too.

Last thing you can try is splitting the patch into two: the EP and FM into one patch and the pad into another. By doing this you can load two different instances of Zebra and Logic will put them on two separate CPUs. Zebra2 isn't multi-core capable due to it's flexible modulation matrix.
Feel free to call me Brian.

Thanks Brian. I tried lowering the resolution. ...didn't make a bit of a difference. I just found that by lowering the voices from "many" to "medium" did the trick. I'm going to hang on the info you gave me though, especially about using both XMF filters and splitting the patch. I'm probably going to end up using these live in MainStage or Ableton, so running two instances at once should be easy enough to set up.

If you split this out into 3 instances, don't forget that you can use Zebrify to still apply your FX chain to the mixed result of the 3 instances.

Aerithos wrote:If you split this out into 3 instances, don't forget that you can use Zebrify to still apply your FX chain to the mixed result of the 3 instances.
Thanks! I'm not that far along yet and didn't know that!

Aerithos wrote:If you split this out into 3 instances, don't forget that you can use Zebrify to still apply your FX chain to the mixed result of the 3 instances.

Return to “u-he”