Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise

Using Satin on every channel

Andrew John
KVRer

1 post since 4 Oct, 2017

Postby Andrew John; Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:25 pm Using Satin on every channel

Hi there.

I just bought Satin, I'm super stoked! :D It sounds amazing!

I have noticed a lot of people talk about always starting their channel insert chain with a tape emulation plugin. Steven Slate does this a lot and lots of people like to use plugins like the McDSP analog channel subtly on every channel to give an accumulative effect on the overall mix.

Does anybody have any suggestions for using Satin in a similar way? Possibly even suggest some settings or presets?

Thank you
Googly Smythe
KVRAF

1801 posts since 11 May, 2011, from The 51st state

Postby Googly Smythe; Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:02 pm Re: Using Satin on every channel

Get a stonkingly powerful machine - you'll need it if you want to do this! :o There's a reason as to why it sounds amazing. :wink:
PS It's my fave echo and flanger plugin.
Googly Smythe
KVRAF

1801 posts since 11 May, 2011, from The 51st state

Postby Googly Smythe; Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:07 pm Re: Using Satin on every channel

Also, I think it would be better to use Satin on your group/sub channels, but put a simple (ie very few controls) console/preamp sim on all your tracks. Sonimus Satson or Britson ($39 each), or, if you don't mind iLok, the Kush Omega series ($29 each). All very simple, and light on the cpu.
ariston
KVRAF

3315 posts since 28 Jun, 2009, from Wherever I lay my hat

Postby ariston; Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:20 pm Re: Using Satin on every channel

It's on every channel in my Reaper default mixing template. I don't have a specific preset that I use, what I do is group all instances and experiment with various mastering presets, adjusting to taste, depending on the track. Sometimes you'll need pristine, barely noticeable, at other times, some obvious colouration will do the trick. Grouping everything lets you experiment with driving the plugin to find that ideal sweet spot. Don't forget to auto-mute the tape hiss!

Don't know about powerful machines... mine is an i5 4460. I use Sonimus Satson, Equality, Studio Devil VTP, MJUC and HG-2 on every channel as well, without a glitch or a hitch with even 20-30 tracks - we're talking (mostly) mono stems here, of course, not works-in-progress with 20 instances of Diva and 4 additional FX on every track. And I find Reaper to be very efficient, especially compared to Ableton.

My chain starts with the Satson console emu, Satin on the last slot, and everything else in between... in a real world setting, you'll obviously get all your mixing done before printing to tape. The master track naturally holds an instance of Satin as well.

To me, this is the only way I use Satin as a tape emulation. I rarely like what tape emus do on single tracks, but I love that overall cumulative "glueing" effect when used in this way.
clangorous
KVRist

135 posts since 12 Nov, 2013, from Charlotte, North Carolina

Postby clangorous; Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:04 pm Re: Using Satin on every channel

One slight difference for me is to start with a meter plugin, then the tape emulation.

Then set each track to -18 peak.

Once that's set then it's clip gain to level out each track.

Gain-staging in this way sets things up so the tape emulation sounds predictably awesome, I avoid clipping, and I need less compression since adjusting clip gain is basically transparent compression.
#rob
KVRist

376 posts since 20 Aug, 2013

Postby #rob; Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:27 am Re: Using Satin on every channel

clangorous wrote:set each track to -18 peak.

Wow, that would give you VERY different perceived volume levels between tracks... I'd strongly recommend against that. :)

When levelling, rather go for a consistent RMS level. The odd peak breaking out here and there won't matter, as long as the overall perceived RMS stays fairly consistent.
Cheers,
Rob
u-he | Support | FAQ | Patch Library

Moderator: u-he Mods

Return to u-he