Lyrebird delay time question...

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Quick question about how Lyrebird calculates delay times, because something seems off to me, but I'm sure it's just in my understanding of how it computes...

if the base value is "Sync 1/16" and I then select 3 on the Time knob, I would expect the result to be a Dotted 8th note....but it's not! I have to choose 6 on the Time knob to get the dotted 8th timing...why?

The manual says the Time knob is a multiplier....well ok, but by my count 3 x 16th note = dotted 8th note....so apparently I'm not understanding how Lyrebird actually computes this...

could somebody explain? why is everything twice as fast as I would expect?

thanks!

-Michael

Because the *actual* delay is 3 x 16th. However, if Mode is set to anything other than ECHO, the left delay is tapped earlier within the delay line, while its feedback is still taken at 3 x 16th. What happens is that the first echo comes earlier, but the following echoes continue at 3 x 16th. In that way it may indeed seem twice as fast.

You are right however that Lyrebird has something unusual about it. That is, if we use the tape echo analogy, in most digital delays the Time knob changes the position of the read head, while in Lyrebird it changes the speed of the tape. Mode sets the position of the left read head, while the right one is fixed. As a result, if you wiggle the Time knob, the feedback does not "record" that wiggle. It can therefore be used to transpose the content of the tape without adding glide artifacts. I don't think there are many delays which do this.

Return to “u-he”