Survey comment

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ThomasHelzle wrote:
tehlord wrote:I do like the look of the Affinity apps, but that's limited to Photoshop and Illustrator alternatives for now. If they managed to code alternatives to Premiere and After Effects too......
They don't have to.
Check out Blackmagic DaVinci Resolve:
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... ciresolve/
Beats old crappy Premiere by a league in my book.
Wow that's free?!!

ThomasHelzle wrote: They don't have to.

After Effects is harder, but there is Fusion for serious compositing:
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/fusion/
And Hitfilm as an allrounder:
http://hitfilm.com/
They even advertise with not being a subscription.

In the long run, it should do the market actually some good that Adobe locked itself into such an unflexible model. Before, Photoshop was a complete monopoly. Now it's at least breaking away from the bottom up.

Cheers,

Tom
pdxindy wrote:
I switched from Photoshop and Illustrator to Affinity Photo and Designer. Very happy with that choice. Looking forward to their InDesign type application.

For Premiere and After Effects, I use Final Cut Pro and Motion. Obviously those are not available on the PC, but FCP + Motion is inexpensive and an obvious choice on the Mac.

As a 20 year Adobe customer, I am happily done with them. Still using Lightroom as long as my V6 works for me. V6 is the last (and still current) version that is/was purchasable. I doubt I ever would have switched until they announced the subscription plan.

Thanks guys, I'll check those out!

aMUSEd wrote:
ThomasHelzle wrote:
tehlord wrote:I do like the look of the Affinity apps, but that's limited to Photoshop and Illustrator alternatives for now. If they managed to code alternatives to Premiere and After Effects too......
They don't have to.
Wow that's free?!!
No, $299.

EDIT: Ah, I see, that's if you want 4K and up to 120 FPS. Quite a nice way to hook in customers.
Last edited by EvilDragon on Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yeah if you need the multi user/site stuff but I don't

EvilDragon wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
ThomasHelzle wrote:
They don't have to.
Wow that's free?!!
No, $299.
No, the normal version is free, only the pro version is 299$
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

It's funny, you look at companies like Izotope and they kinda do a subscription model too, in stealth. Regular (and sometimes unnecessary) upgrades to products that should really be incremental and unpaid .5 updates. Support is dropped pretty quickly for plugins that should really work for years to come.

Perhaps U-he can further monetise current technology by repackaging certain parts of Diva (for example) as a standalone emulation. I would happily pay for a Juno or Oberheim model, as per the Repro products.

If you want to know what I think about you going to a cloud subscription service, please watch this clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEAGAAQJ7DM

We'll see... tbh the Cat project got stuck the moment we gave in to the "WE WANT POLY!!!" reaction on Repro-1. Cat was put aside, poly for Repro took focus. After that I went Zebra 3, as planned, and not many resources are available for any Cat development. Particularly, after two years of emulation work, everyone involved is happy to do something else for a while. I still hope for it to happen, but I don't feel like ordering my employees to do something their not into right now. It'll come back.[/quote]

Would love to see U-He tackle the Arp Quadra...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZDRjShxrms

Urs wrote:If the whole software world ends up based on subscription, u-he will become a hardware company.
While I know you're into Eurorack, I'd love a U-he Poly with a nice 5-octave keyboard, 3 oscs with the Diva-esque ability to mix and match, maybe some selectable filters, 2 LFO's, aftertouch, arp, built in effects, etc. You know...Diva in a case please. If you could sell it for $1,500...I'd be all over that.

silhouette1 wrote:I have to say that the Subscription service choice was a bit worrying to me. A number of vendors have been floating, or have already chosen this option.
Having options for monthly payments or cloud subscription might help some people,
in poor countries, or during hard times, and not be needed by others. So as an option,
rather than exclusive, I would say yes. So a third option could be in the
choices list. I have relatives who enjoyed an Adobe subscription while in school,
and on a tight budget.
Cheers

Urs wrote: We'll see... tbh the Cat project got stuck the moment we gave in to the "WE WANT POLY!!!" reaction on Repro-1. Cat was put aside, poly for Repro took focus. After that I went Zebra 3, as planned, and not many resources are available for any Cat development. Particularly, after two years of emulation work, everyone involved is happy to do something else for a while. I still hope for it to happen, but I don't feel like ordering my employees to do something their not into right now. It'll come back.
That's good to know. I'm much more interested in Zebra 3 than an emulation of an old obscure monosynth. :)
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Subscription ? That's what happens when you talk too long with the Bitwig guys.

I dislike subscription because it disincentivises features the customer requests. When a company has a known revenue stream they grow complacent in my opinion. A good example of this is World of Warcraft vs Guild Wars 2. The former is very slow to add changes or ideas while the latter actively works to create each expansion "upgrade" a compelling purchase. I'd rather pay $100 for a compelling product instead of $10 for 10 months which yields small changes and bug fixes.
Feel free to call me Brian.

Mmm yes maybe a subscription model is a kind of parasite that burrows into the mind of a developer and leads them to act in strange and dangerous ways, attracting predators which consume the poor faltering dev and in turn act as a host in which said parasite can further replicate.
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:

mevla wrote:Subscription ? That's what happens when you talk too long with the Bitwig guys.
With a subscription you'll get the full product for free but as soon as you stop paying the rent the software will instantly stop working. That's the Adobe way and it's totally different to the way Bitwig works.

The Bitwig model is not a classic subscription. It's what we call a maintenance contract in the software world. You buy a full product that includes 12 months of updates and support for free. After this 12 month period you still have the full product and you can work with it as long as you like. You don't have to pay again. If you see a new feature in a later version that you want then you can buy another year of free updates. And so on.

I think this is a good compromise. The only difference to the old model is that you pay in advance for future updates and not afterwards. What I don't like is the price as I don't think that the updates I've seen so far offer enough meat for this kind of money. But that's another story.

I work in a CAD/CAM software company and we also offer maintenance as an option. The annual fee is usually around 20% of a product's full price. Professional customers and large companies really like this model because it is really easy to squeeze a periodical expense like that into a budget plan. Random releases are difficult to get in because every single transaction has administration overhead, requires reapplications, budget extensions and so on. Maintenance just works.

Of course we also offer regular updates but the release dates usually don't follow a specific time scheme. However, the money spent makes no difference for the customer in the end.

The key word for a satisfied customer is "option".

Return to “u-he”